Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Textures of Beta Diablo 3, ".tex" files converter needed :)

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
Necrolis
ultra-n00b

Re: Textures of Beta Diablo 3, ".tex" files converter needed

Post by Necrolis »

Fiel wrote:EDIT #3: Good news everyone! I just fed this program every single tex file and they all passed without any crashes.
rofl, well, I'll still add in a check for file existence then :)
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

fantastic work :thumbsup: I need to learn about file headers and I could've helped :D
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

OK, the next step is to process the image with the map and separate it!
BoyC
beginner

Post by BoyC »

Do we know how they are referencing the texture files from elsewhere? It'd be quite helpful for the mesh research.
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

depends. I think it's all loaded into memory for performance (once needed the map is loaded into memory and referenced from there)

guesswork
Necrolis
ultra-n00b

Post by Necrolis »

MrRawr wrote:guesswork
debugger ;)
MrRawr wrote:OK, the next step is to process the image with the map and separate it!
if you mean split it into the individual sections that make up the atlas, then that would need an external DXTn lib (like nVidia's) or use of DX/OGL, imo its easier to use nVidia's Texture Tools and just slice up the DDS in Photoshop
BoyC wrote:Do we know how they are referencing the texture files from elsewhere? It'd be quite helpful for the mesh research.
they use shortened internal names(those from the atlas most of the time) in a bevy of files to reference stuff (I haven't looked too deeply into that part), at runtime the references are held via the SNO chain and the D3D texture handle is stored in the header of the tex file in memory.
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

that, or find the internal references...
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

There seems to be no reference in the .gam to any image and it would be very hap-hazzard of blizzard to do a conversion of the name (which I assume ofc they did not.)

So unless there is a file i'm missing I'm stuck :\
InsaneXo
n00b

Post by InsaneXo »

Hello everyone,
anyone made a progress towards .gam files yet ?
nicoli_s
advanced

Post by nicoli_s »

.tex files are referenced via the first UInt32 after the 16 byte header. You can see this reference from the .app files in a section that is referenced from the materials
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

That Number is the File number, the reference is from the .app which is referenced from the materials!? ahhh god damn it. So the files I was missing was the app!!!!

God damn it to hell. Thanks Nicoli.
BoyC
beginner

Post by BoyC »

There seems to be even more to it than that - from what I've managed to piece together in my limited free time was that actor files are the big boss - they describe the look and animations of a set piece, possibly even more. For example the dye actor files are virtually the same, they reference the same appearance file, and it seems like their color (or possibly their texture) is described in the actor file.
However some app files aren't referenced by actor files, map pieces for example.
Actor files also reference animation sets which in turn reference animations. Not sure where the materials fit in to all this yet, but I didn't find any references between appearance and materials yet.
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

BoyC wrote:There seems to be even more to it than that - from what I've managed to piece together in my limited free time was that actor files are the big boss - they describe the look and animations of a set piece, possibly even more. For example the dye actor files are virtually the same, they reference the same appearance file, and it seems like their color (or possibly their texture) is described in the actor file.
However some app files aren't referenced by actor files, map pieces for example.
Actor files also reference animation sets which in turn reference animations. Not sure where the materials fit in to all this yet, but I didn't find any references between appearance and materials yet.
I'm in the same boat. The reference between the .gam and the .app isn't there. they're close but not exact (for example file numbers 82625 = 82626 ) which to me isn't right (the others flux too).

Actor files are the big boss eh? I'll look at them now too

edit: actor files are empty yo
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

Wow, OK well I've found out that my MPQ extractor failed on me... so I only had half the data! Go me! Brick wall and my head...

Anyway, I might actually make progress today... I feel like crying lol
MrRawr
beginner

Post by MrRawr »

so that file references is 100% the acr reference but how we get from the acr to the tex is another matter...

anyone made progress on the acr files?