Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

BIGFILE.000 - Deus Ex Human Revolution Unpack

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Rick

Re: BIGFILE.000 - Deus Ex Human Revolution Unpack

Post by Rick »

michalss wrote:Hi Rick is there any news about drm repack ?
Work in progress. No ETA.
relight wrote:Hey Rick,

Is there any way to bulk extract all items from DRM files (such as DDS textures), rather than having to look through everything with the basic interface of DRMEdit?

Apologies if this already came up, or if I missed this feature somehow - would much appreciate being able to do this.

Oh, and Weatherproof - thank you!
I can probably whip something up, I will see.
rengareng wrote:Hi Rick,
Can you add A8 - 8bit texture format to PCD9File file class. Because, font file uses this format. And if I try to open somefiles with DRMedit program it gives NotSupportedException.
Thanks for your great effort to code this awesome repository.
Can you mention what files have A8 textures, and what files are causing crashes?

Hash or file name is fine.
https://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.
zerze
ultra-n00b

Post by zerze »

evin wrote:Always the latest, of course: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... rp-express

Ok this is actually extracting .UNKNOWN files, what are we supposed to do with that ? Waiting for a realese of something able do extract real unpacked files, like .TGA, .OGG... ?
rengareng
veteran

Post by rengareng »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
abadjpyo
n00b

Post by abadjpyo »

howdy, so in my ignorance i'll ask you experts here, i want to mod object statistics like, maybe a candbar, a beer, etc, like adding health to it or maybe changing the assault rifle stats, augmentation statistics as well. How would I go about doing this? I try to extract the bigfile.000 but it comes up with an error saying: unhandled exception, system.io.pathtoolongexception... the specified path... or both are too long. I do however have many files extracted, it stops more than half way through extraction. I looked at the files with the drm edit but i see a bunch of numbers and symbols... hah. Regardless, thanks Rick for putting up the debug mod! Also the rest of you modders keep at it because maybe someone will enjoy your modding some day if you share... thnx
relight
beginner

Post by relight »

Rick - thanks, that would be really useful, since as mentioned in some cases there is a .drm file with MANY files in it, and DRMEdit sort is by order, not by type, which means I have to go through a lot of files to find only textures for example. Would be super useful just to extract everything in original format (such as DDS) from DRM, perhaps contents of each DRM file would be put into a folder named with the name of the DRM file, and then I can sort / deal with it after that. Sorry, I don't know enough programming to edit your excellent tools to accomplish these functions myself :) You rock :)
RioTiZ wrote:Hello, where can i find HUD Map texture?
My guess is that this is flash / vector, not a texture, this means you cannot extract it as a texture.

Did anyone find the skydome backgrounds yet? All I found is sky skydomes, not all the scenes with buildings and everything (where those backgrounds aren't 3D models, there are a number of background textures throughout the game).
relight
beginner

Post by relight »

abadjpyo wrote:I try to extract the bigfile.000 but it comes up with an error saying: unhandled exception, system.io.pathtoolongexception... the specified path... or both are too long. I do however have many files extracted, it stops more than half way through extraction.
When you're extracting, do so in a path as close to your root as possible. So copy all the bigfiles and the extraction program into X:\EXTRACT or whatever - choose a short name - and then extract in that directory. The problem occuring is that you're running into length limits of the directory / file tree.
Rick

Post by Rick »

relight wrote:Rick - thanks, that would be really useful, since as mentioned in some cases there is a .drm file with MANY files in it, and DRMEdit sort is by order, not by type, which means I have to go through a lot of files to find only textures for example. Would be super useful just to extract everything in original format (such as DDS) from DRM, perhaps contents of each DRM file would be put into a folder named with the name of the DRM file, and then I can sort / deal with it after that. Sorry, I don't know enough programming to edit your excellent tools to accomplish these functions myself :) You rock :)
DRM isn't a conventional archive but a resource blob containing many resources referred to by ID and interlinking pointer references, which is why there isn't an unpacker currently.
https://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.
t2ntransg
ultra-n00b

Post by t2ntransg »

How to edit local.bin file?
abadjpyo
n00b

Post by abadjpyo »

thnx relight! :) however i'm still stumped as to how to edit information like the beer can.drm file and stuff like that. When i open it under drmedit, i see a bunch of code which i don't understand.
TobyDG
ultra-n00b

Post by TobyDG »

abadjpyo wrote:thnx relight! :) however i'm still stumped as to how to edit information like the beer can.drm file and stuff like that. When i open it under drmedit, i see a bunch of code which i don't understand.
First you are going to have to locate where the stats for these items are stored. Once you do that then you will have to use and hex editor ( I use HxD) to find the right byte to change it. I have also been looking for these stats. Right now I am looking in the pickup.drm and in the BigFile extracted the weapon.drm , but so far no luck. I am somewhat new to hex editing as all I have done before was find hidden moves for smackdown vs raw series. Learning the basic of Hex Editing will help you out abadjpyo.
abadjpyo
n00b

Post by abadjpyo »

mighty obliged Toby, i'm new to this too, so whatever the case thanx and good luck in transforming the game way you want it to be played, if anyone finds this information let us know don't keep that knowledge to yourselves ;) peace
lapdragon
beginner

Post by lapdragon »

Hex editing is a combination of knowing what you're looking for, and knowing how to change it. Here's an example from the Combat Rifle Ammo's item pickup entry.

The red section I've outlined is the item's dimensions - in this case, it's 2 grid by 1 grid. The blue section is it's stack size, and is 50 items per stack for the combat rifle ammo.

There's generally speaking two kinds of entry in a hex editing scenario - either you're changing a value (the stack size or item dimensions, in this case), or you're enabling/disabling a flag, such as whether or not an attribute is active or not. If you're changing a value, then you just need to know the hex value of your normal decimal value - say you're changing the stack size for combat rifle ammo to 500 per stack, then you need to take 500, and turn it into a hex value - the easiest way to do this is to open your trusty windows calculator, pull down the "View" menu, and switch it to programmer mode, enter 500 as your value, and hit the "Hex" radio button - this tells you that 500 in decimal is equal to 1F4 in hex.

Here comes the only tricky bit - some games have the bits switched - 1F4 on your calculator will be backwards and not enough digits for the game, so you have to "pad" the entry with extra zeroes (to make it the right number of digits), and then put it in backwards to get it read properly - first we reverse it, and type it out in batches of 2 - "F4 1", and then pad the extra zeroes "F4 01". Now you just go back to your file and replace the "32 00" to "F4 01".

The other kind of entry is a flag - and those are easy, it's just a 01 or a 00 - 1 is on, 0 is off. The only hard part for that is figuring out which of the 0's and 1's is your flag :-)

That brings us to finding the data in the first place - for that, you mostly just have to practice, and you have to think like a program (or programmer). You'll usually find item data in one of two places - either the item has it's own file (like our combat rifle ammo example), or there's a master database with all of that information in it. Sometimes, as is the case with DX:HR, it's both - in DXHR we have our individual file entries, but they're enclosed in a container file (the pickup_database.drm file).

So far from looking at all of the pickup items, it looks like the first 255 bytes of the file are pertinent information for the item, the remainder of the file is the icon path. It's up to us to figure out what that pertinent information actually is :-)
ammo_combatrifleAmmo.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zerze
ultra-n00b

Post by zerze »

zerze wrote:
evin wrote:Always the latest, of course: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/e ... rp-express

Ok this is actually extracting .UNKNOWN files, what are we supposed to do with that ? Waiting for a realese of something able do extract real unpacked files, like .TGA, .OGG... ?
Weatherproof
ultra-n00b

Post by Weatherproof »

props to lapdragon
lapdragon
beginner

Post by lapdragon »

zerze wrote:Ok this is actually extracting .UNKNOWN files, what are we supposed to do with that ? Waiting for a realese of something able do extract real unpacked files, like .TGA, .OGG... ?
Did you try using the RebuildFileLists utility?

I usually start with that after compiling a new copy of the unpacker. Rebuild your file lists, then unpack - I recommend unpacking each "bigfile" to its own directory - it keeps a lot of the un-pathed files out of the main directory.

I don't believe we'll ever get the ability to unpack "real" files directly, because of the way that the game is packed by the developers, at most it will be a 2-step process. We'll have to unpack the DRM files with Rick's unpack utility here, and then once he gets the formats figured out to a point he is comfortable with, he may release a DRM unpacker that can break a .DRM file into it's component parts.