Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

firsak wrote:
MrAdults wrote:This has been the behavior forever.
Never noticed it before for some reason...
That PSK was exported by me from 3dsmax with the official tool and it didn't have any spaces in bone names. It also imports back using Gildor's ActorX Importer and there are no spaces as well. So it should still be a bug in Noesis.

I think all the 0x20s if not followed by something else should be simply ignored in case of PSK format.
Just a reminder (since this surely isn't new information to you :wink: ), 0x20 is the encoding for a space in ASCII and Unicode (and probably about a zillion other character encodings/code pages). :)
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
Sn1pe
ultra-n00b

Post by Sn1pe »

Hey!, I'm new here and I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this post but I've been trying to extract a character's model/textures for private/animation use from a PS2 game called God Hand as I am a huge fan of that game/it's protagonist Gene -
*This guy*

and I was wondering if this is anywhere near possible with Noesis *as I heard PS2 3D data extraction is near impossible*

I've personally tried everything to get the model but no luck whatsoever so I figure I'd ask for help on this forum/the creator of the program *I do not know who he is and he has no contact/email method listed on the site* as I noticed on the webpage that you've been successful in ripping models from all sorts of console games.

I would personally pay you to get Gene's model/textures and forever be in your debt if this can be done.

Thank you very much for reading this post!
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Here, have some random 32x-antialiased 1080p/720p stereo renders in .jps format. http://www.richwhitehouse.com/otherfiles/3dpix.zip (viewable with nVidia 3D Vision Photo Viewer)
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Noesis 3.46 is now up with Python support. There's included documentation, an example script that exports geometry+weights+skeletal anims+vertex morphs to a made-up format and re-imports it, and numerous other scripts including one that handles importing Bullet Witch models+textures.
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

I'm not sure if this is a trivial comment or not, but I'd like to thank you for including the "Making Plugins" section!

I really appreciate it, It will help me learn how to start making my own Noesis plugins.
finale00
M-M-M-Monster veteran
M-M-M-Monster veteran

Post by finale00 »

Great, python :D
It seems like it only registers the extension. What else can we register?
zahori
ultra-n00b

Post by zahori »

Mr Casarojas, i would like to say that the latest 348 Noesis, i canot see models :(
LUBDAR
veteran

Post by LUBDAR »

zahori wrote:Mr Casarojas, i would like to say that the latest 348 Noesis, i canot see models :(
You might want to be more specific (List which game models you're not able to see), I'm running 3.48 and it is working just fine
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

MrAdults wont be able to respond for a little while anyway he is in the process of moving.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

chrrox wrote:MrAdults wont be able to respond for a little while anyway he is in the process of moving.
Indeed. I expect this will be my last post for a while, the hotel I'm staying at for a while has no reliable internet access.

Anyway, yeah, don't be vague on bug reports, it doesn't help anyone. State the model(s) you're trying to view, what game(s) they're for, and provide a sample if possible. If the problem you're having is on a broad scale (e.g. no support model format is viewable for you now), consult the "Trouble!" section of the ReadMe.txt and follow its suggestions. If any of the suggestions help remedy your problem, please report back here and state what you had to do to fix the issue. (no one ever seems to do this, they just disappear once they privately resolve their issue, which is a bit selfish and not helpful to anyone else who might be having the same problem)
finale00 wrote:Great, python :D
It seems like it only registers the extension. What else can we register?
Not sure if you understand the way things work - you only need to register a single handle for a given format, then you attach various handlers to the format handle. The different kinds of handlers attached to the format handle are used to support various different kinds of data, like reading/writing models, textures, or archives. See the example .py files and/or the list of handler calls (setHandler*) in __npreadme.txt file for more information.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

As a bit of a stroke of luck I have actually managed to find all of the tools and information I needed to separate, decrypt, decompress, and in some cases view... all(assumedly) of the files from Star Ocean: First Departure and would like to have a plugin for Noesis to process them...

As it stands I've looked through about 6000 of them manually, (opening them in GGD and lining up the pixels 'til they form an intelligible image) but since there are about 15000 and likely a few sprites or maps I'll/'ve miss/ed, I'd like to batch process them into something more useful...

However, I'm absolutely inexperienced with C++ and novice at best with Python...

So I'd like to ask if anyone could either write a plugin if I provide the documentation, or lead me to a few tutorials that would be relevant to reading and writing files and Noesis plugins...

I could possibly write a program to do some of the work in C#... but C# and C++ are fairly...different.

So, any advice?

EDIT: I should mention I'm only really interested in the texture and image data, there's little 3D data in the game to even worry about anyway.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

post the samples and the code here and someone can try to help.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

As for code, I'd only be able to create a program the is self contained, and I could only then load the file data, but not view it or process it (mainly because I don't have the specs for other files to use as an output)

However, one thing I can say I fully understand is the format of this particular file, which is a character portrait....There are about a thousand of these things, all of them 65kb, beginning with an 8bit RGBA palette and then immediately followed by pixels drawing from that palette, forming an image of dimensions 256x256.

One of the main problems I have is how to turn it into a proper windows compatible image (like png or TGA) that will preserve transparency/alpha.

However there are issues with other types of file as well, all of the files use the .unslz extension due to the method of extraction, and nearly none of them have properly labeled headers as to what type of extension they should have.

I'm still investigating the headers of the sprite files, as they are what I'm truly after, and they don't seem to have a uniform width.

Anyway, the attached file is 256x256 linear ordered image utilizing a 256 color RGBA palette.

So lets start with that shall we?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Whee, the internet is randomly working!

Here's a quick script to allow importing of that .unslz file you posted. It has no image info in it at all so you have to hardcode the dimensions/palette size.

Code: Select all

from inc_noesis import *
import noesis
import rapi

def registerNoesisTypes():
	handle = noesis.register("Star Ocean image", ".unslz")
	noesis.setHandlerTypeCheck(handle, soiCheckType)
	noesis.setHandlerLoadRGBA(handle, soiLoadRGBA)
	return 1
imgWidth = imgHeight = 256
def soiCheckType(data):
	if len(data) != (imgWidth*imgHeight)+1024:
		return 0
	return 1
def soiLoadRGBA(data, texList):
	srcPal = data[0:1024]
	srcPix = data[1024:]
	dstPix = bytearray(imgWidth*imgHeight*4)
	for i in range(0, imgWidth*imgHeight):
		dstPix[i*4 + 0] = srcPal[srcPix[i]*4 + 0]
		dstPix[i*4 + 1] = srcPal[srcPix[i]*4 + 1]
		dstPix[i*4 + 2] = srcPal[srcPix[i]*4 + 2]
		dstPix[i*4 + 3] = srcPal[srcPix[i]*4 + 3]
	texList.append(NoeTexture("soetex", imgWidth, imgHeight, dstPix, noesis.NOESISTEX_RGBA32))
	return 1
Just save it in a file with a .py extension in your plugins\python folder, then Tools->Reload plugins. (or restart Noesis) With this script, you can export the images to any other existing export-supported image format (like tga, png, etc) through all the usual means. That is, through File->Export, the batch exporter tool, or command-line mode.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

You amaze me... are you the Doctor? You always seem to show up at just the right moment...

Thanks for the script, I'll use it as a base to try bashing together some stuff for the other image formats once I understand their headers... though I'll probably be back for help.

And to clarify, the other image files I refer to do have headers, unlike the image I uploaded. The one I uploaded was just really simple to understand.

I'm rambling. Anyway, thanks for the help, I'll be back... when I need to be I guess.