Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Assassins Creed PC .forge files

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
snowboundmage
advanced

Re: Assassins Creed PC .forge files

Post by snowboundmage »

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6617
ForgeX - MichaelDarkAngel
Beagle Boy
ultra-n00b

Post by Beagle Boy »

:( Nothing for correct extraction of .forge files? Please, Anyone?
Maki 1.2 and dll Lucy, is almost perfect.
But I Need of LocalizationPackage_English LocalizationPackage_English_Subtitles, anyone decrypt it, please. :D
Herdell
veteran

Post by Herdell »

Up!
DerPlaya
n00b

Post by DerPlaya »

Hi all,

I did some research on ACB's forge files, here's the result.

It's an unfinished tool (and will probably stay unfinished).

What it can do:
- view/export textures as DDS/PNG
- view/export LocalizationPackage files as *.txt
- view most Models - very simple viewer using WPF, no proper texture support (uses first texture which has 'Diffuse' in its name...)
- view/export data of unknown types as hex/binary

What it can't do:
- no Model export, no import...

some facts:
- most id type fields (EntryId, ...) are CRC32 hashes
- lots of data is stored as duplicate in the same forge (probably console specific optimization)
- I started to decode some other types: Skeleton, Material, MaterialTemplate, ... see source code.

The tool needs .net 4 (client profile) and should be compilable with VC# Express 2010

If you want to use some of the code in your own tool/program go ahead...

I won't give any support or can be held responsible for damage - USE AT OWN RISK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oyunceviri
advanced

Post by oyunceviri »

Thanks for tool but we are waiting txt import features :)
DerPlaya
n00b

Post by DerPlaya »

I don't think thats possible... as I mentioned in my previous reply: each forge file works independently (has all the resources needed to render the level and sometimes the same resource is stored multiple times in the forge file). You would need to replace all instances of said resource to change things completely.

It's a bit like cooked upk packages in Unreal Engine games where a single texture/mesh/... file can be contained in 10 different upk files...
TimurKo
ultra-n00b

Post by TimurKo »

Hi, i'm new! :)
DerPlaya, Thank you for your tool! You are the Best!
However, I have a trouble. Recently, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood English version was release for Mac(I have a Mac), and for PC(Russian version) it was release has long ago.
I has copied the sound files from a PC and transferred them on a MAC, but subtitles(menu text, mission text) were in English. However I found Russian subtitles inside Brotherhood forge file, although the release was reported about several languages​​, but certainly not about the Russian.
Whether there has any possibility of editing Forge files, in order to replace the contents from LocalizationPackageRussian to LocalizationPackageEnglish?
Or maybe there's another way?
Sorry for my English :huh:
DerPlaya
n00b

Post by DerPlaya »

The forge files contain localization stuff for languages which are not officially supported, but some of them are obviously incomplete (hungarian, turkish, ...). I don't know if
the russian version is complete and if it would be enough to switch localization packages... the russian version also uses a different font.

If there is an official Russian version, I would try to force the game to switch using a different language. On PC this is done through registry changes (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed Brotherhood\language).

If the mac forge files are identical to the PC ones (and the russian version is identical to the international version) it could work.

I don't have a Mac so I can't tell you how to do this on Mac...

Either way, Implementing write support for forge files is not on my todo list... I'm usually just interested in extracting stuff to see how developers did stuff.
TimurKo
ultra-n00b

Post by TimurKo »

Thank you for reply, DerPlaya!
DerPlaya wrote:The forge files contain localization stuff for languages which are not officially supported, but some of them are obviously incomplete (hungarian, turkish, ...). I don't know if the russian version is complete and if it would be enough to switch localization packages... the russian version also uses a different font.
Officially Russian version is full complete, at least on PC. However on MAC It did not was released with other languages. And on PC version also contains the font files. My guess is that they are contains in the original version.

Maybe some file is responsible for language, and I want to find him. As far as I can see, spoken language is defined by the presence of files in a folder SoundData, such as sounds_rus.pck and so on. And the subtitle language is defined in the file localization.lang. Originally it defined the following languages​​: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, but after I removed it there was only English. But as it is edited, I did not understand.
DerPlaya
n00b

Post by DerPlaya »

What happens when you replace the forge files with the PC ones... Multiple forge files contain the same localization packages (console optimization for better dvd seek speeds...) so you should probably replace all files (and localization.lang). I don't know if this works but if it doesn't then editing the forge files wouldn't either because there's some kind of file integrity check in place...

edit: about the font: even if it's there, the information which font to use isn't stored in the LocalizationPackage file, so if you managed to replace LocalizationPackage_English with one with russian text. the game would still use the en/us font and you would only get garbage text...
qabRieL
veteran

Post by qabRieL »

BTW, I'm interesting in translating the series.
Is there anyway to do it?
TimurKo
ultra-n00b

Post by TimurKo »

qabRieL wrote:BTW, I'm interesting in translating the series.
Is there anyway to do it?
I'm also trying to find it. But for this we must understand how to edit FORGE files and localization.lang.
DerPlaya wrote:What happens when you replace the forge files with the PC ones...
Happens crash the game when start. I've already tried it. The thing is that FORGE files on MAC and PC differ not only content but also in size.
DerPlaya wrote:You should probably replace all files (and localization.lang).
It doesn't work. I've already tried it too. When replace the localization.lang from PC version, Russian language in the menu is still not provided. I do not know why it doesn't work, maybe it has links to the location, which are lost.
DerPlaya wrote:edit: about the font: even if it's there, the information which font to use isn't stored in the LocalizationPackage file, so if you managed to replace LocalizationPackage_English with one with russian text. the game would still use the en/us font and you would only get garbage text...
This means, must find the files that store this information.

And if there are tools that are just FORGE edit files? And is it possible find descriptions localization.lang file?
DerPlaya
n00b

Post by DerPlaya »

- the localization.lang file is a bit to small to get any useful information out of it.

- I did research some other file types but haven't found any hints about localization other than files of FireData type: those are Adobe Flash files with a different header and used for all the ui stuff (maps, animus desktop, minigames, ...).
You can't edit those files as far as I know - my tool extracts those files as *.swf and you can use a tool like Sothink SWF Decomiler (to see ActionScript code)...

- the reason why mac and pc files are different is probably the structure of meshes and shaders, they probably use OpenGL and GLSL compiled shaders on mac / Direct3D and HLSL shaders on PC...

One other possibility is that available languages are hardcoded into the game executable.
TimurKo
ultra-n00b

Post by TimurKo »

Also about fonts. I noticed that FontDescriptor Russian font is present in every Package File of FireData. Look:
DerPlaya wrote:I did research some other file types but haven't found any hints about localization other than files of FireData type: those are Adobe Flash files with a different header and used for all the ui stuff (maps, animus desktop, minigames, ...).
You can't edit those files as far as I know - my tool extracts those files as *.swf and you can use a tool like Sothink SWF Decomiler (to see ActionScript code)...
Thanks for hint!
I opened the FireData file and found that there:

Now it remains to find file, from the which this function is called.
TimurKo
ultra-n00b

Post by TimurKo »

This is what I found in ActionScript:
And while I do not understand what this command, I not know how to program in Flash Lite: (