Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
McCuñao
veteran

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001)

Post by McCuñao »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Last edited by McCuñao on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare (2001)

Post by Evin »

In official aitd4 translations, there is a separated file with all texts. There you are, 2 language: brazil and italien(?). (Extracted texts are included, but the game can't use them!)
Copy the Provider folder into the root folder of the game.

The files without extensions, are compressed with gzip, but if you repack them, the game crash. But the game can be handle the unpacked file too, just rename to the original name. The textures are in these files. All of them are DDS, without header.

Any other question? :)

By the way: "The New Nightmare", not the "A New Nightmare".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McCuñao
veteran

Re: Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare (2001)

Post by McCuñao »

Not in Dreamcast. PC and PS2 versions have their language files aside, but on Dreamcast (And I've checked both the English and French versions) the texts are translated in those files. I pretend to translate the Dreamcast version.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2001)

Post by Evin »

You didn't mentioned that.
Than you have to unpack all file(based on pc this is a lot files) and edit with hex editor. I don't know other way.
(unpack: rename to xy.gz and use an unpacker; 7zip, Winrar etc.)
McCuñao
veteran

Post by McCuñao »

Just wanted to know if someone could unpack the uncompressed files, before trying to do it the Hex way. I'm trying to adapt the official Spanish translation to Dreamcast (DC got only English and French).
MiLOxentax
ultra-n00b

Post by MiLOxentax »

Hi there.
I have a question about extracting the contents from those files without extensions. evin, you said they are gzip compressed, so what do I need to unpack them? The gzip.bms from aluigi's website didn't work. Actually what I'm trying to get is the background images, which suppose to be inside those files alongside with texture files, and I'm guessing they can have DDS extension as well. It wouldn't be a problem to get a good dds viewer later, but first I need to get all the images out of the gzip containers. Please help.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

Like I said: "unpack: rename to xy.gz and use an unpacker; 7zip, Winrar etc." Forget the BMS (but it could works).

But as hard as I tried, I couldn't make a working repacked file. So after you unpacked, you have to work with the unpacked files. The game can read them.

DDS compression in the game: 1.5.5.5 ARGB Mipmap2
I don't have DDS extractor or other texture tool! What I did, I did with hex editor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MiLOxentax
ultra-n00b

Post by MiLOxentax »

Oh, thank you evin! I opened that dds file you posted with IrfanView and it had one pre-rendered background image in it:

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/ ... csel60.png

Which is awesome, and that's exactly what I was trying to get. If only there was a quick way to do the same with all the other files containing these dds pics, but looks like it takes some hustle with hex editor and I'm definitely not good with that.

I tried to do what you suggested: rename to xy.gz and use Winrar, but inside the archive there's an xy file which cannot be opened in any DDS Viewer, so I guess there's some kinda tweaking needs to be done to it.
Evin
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Evin »

That "xy file" is just the uncompresed data, not DDS. That contain texts, textures, and other things. Basically those contain everything.
ultima
n00b

Post by ultima »

Hi.

I tried to find the texture of the character according to the information given by Evin, but it gives nothing.

Someone would he extract it ?

Thank you in advance :)

Normally the start of the texture starts in the position 00095610 or the vicinity^^

sorry for my english. (translate google)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/nkryn ... line02.zip