Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Dragon Age 2 (PC)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
OriginOfWaves
beginner

Re: Dragon Age 2 (PC)

Post by OriginOfWaves »

trumpdog wrote:There is one import/export script for lightwave 3d here http://social.bioware.com/project/2246/
I dont know anything about it or the capabilities of the plug in. All i know is that everything done to the model has to be done in Lightwave, for example....you cant do anything in blender and export it to lightwave format or it loses its weighting and some other stuff upon import to lightwave. IMHO lightwave kinda sucks.....Havent had a successful export yet since i dont know how to use it.
from what i've seen, i think it only works with Origins not DA2. unfortunately.
anzolino
ultra-n00b

Post by anzolino »

The lightwave plugin works for DA2. But this is the only one, no blender or max export is possible.
yair1221
beginner

Post by yair1221 »

well, i extracted the models, but ive got like 15000 textures in the folder, anyone figured how to choose the right ones yet?
OriginOfWaves
beginner

Post by OriginOfWaves »

Ok. I wanted to share with u guys what i've been trying to do for a few days now, and maybe someone can use my experience to import a model into DA2 correctly.
Thanks to chroxx and figuresculptor and their awesome script i imported a DA2 model and its bones into Blender successfully. After getting the model to look the way i wanted it to i exported the mesh and the bones as an FBX file so i can convert it using tazpn's DA2 Command Line Tools http://social.bioware.com/project/4253/. By converting the FBX i got two XML files, an MMH and a MSH one. So far so good.
Viewing those two XMLs i noticed that all the information transferred perfectly except for the number of bones that the model actually uses and which bones it uses. The info is there but its just not correct (says that the model is using far more bones than it actually does). Anyways, per tazpn's instructions i used the GraphicsProcessorMMH.exe and the GraphicsProcessorMSH.exe from the Origins toolset to compile those two XMLs. What i got was an MMH, PHY and a MSH file. Everything still seemed fine.
Using tazpn's View Scene command tool i inspected the .mmh and the .msh. And this is where the problems begin.
During the compiling some info got lost, specifically the bone info, and the actual mesh got all messed up and deformed. I'm guessing this happens cause of the way that the XMLs are compiled and compressed into .mmh, .phy and .msh files. and a different way that the Origins GraphicsProcessor handles those files from the DA2 GraphicsProcessor. After some manual editing of the files in the PyGff editor (correcting filepaths and adding lost info) i did get the model to show ingame all pretty and textured, although deformed and all over the place lol.
So the main order of business now would be to make sure that the bone info transfers correctly from Blender and that it doesn't get lost during the converting and the compiling. And of course there's that matter of the mesh getting all messed up. But we are a lot closer than we were.
And hey, maybe Bioware will feel sorry for us and release the DA2 toolset.
codo85
ultra-n00b

Post by codo85 »

Hi again!

Is now possible to import, edit and export DA2 models?
I was trying the Lighwave plugin, and I get the .mmh.xml and the .msh.xml files. But if I drag and drop them over GraphicsProcessorMMH.exe and GraphicsProcessorMSH.exe nothing happens.

This is what I do:
- extract the original .mmh, .msh and .phy files;
- load the .msh file in Lighwave;
- edit;
- launch the plugin command to export it as html.

So I get the two .xml files, but I can't get any further. Any help?
anzolino
ultra-n00b

Post by anzolino »

@ codo85:
You can ask at thenexusforums.com: Dragon Age 2 Modding, there are people using lightwave.

@ OriginOfWaves:
Thanks for your description but I made this experiences 1 month ago and so far there are no solutions. So, we are not closer and there is no relief and no hope for a toolset :(
OriginOfWaves
beginner

Post by OriginOfWaves »

codo85 wrote:Hi again!

Is now possible to import, edit and export DA2 models?
I was trying the Lighwave plugin, and I get the .mmh.xml and the .msh.xml files. But if I drag and drop them over GraphicsProcessorMMH.exe and GraphicsProcessorMSH.exe nothing happens.

This is what I do:
- extract the original .mmh, .msh and .phy files;
- load the .msh file in Lighwave;
- edit;
- launch the plugin command to export it as html.

So I get the two .xml files, but I can't get any further. Any help?
GraphicsProcessorMMH.exe and GraphicsProcessorMSH.exe work as command line tools. so u need a command line.
the easiest way is to copy the .xml files to their location and then use this command lines:
GraphicsProcessorMMH.exe example.mmh.xml
GraphicsProcessorMSH.exe -platform pc mmdtogff example.msh.xml
just replace example with the names of your files.

@anzolino:
that's sad to hear. but we got to be optimistic about it.

OK. BIG NEWS GUYS. A SUCCESSFUL EXPORT, EDIT AND IMPORT BACK INTO THE GAME WITH THE LIGHTWAVE PLUGIN.
U CAN FIND THE DETAILS HERE http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /7371609/1.
THANKS TO tmp7704 for his Lightwave plugin AND ishmaeltheforsaken FOR HER WORK.
J4N3
ultra-n00b

Post by J4N3 »

all this has helped me to extract the files but I am working with 3DS Max and I was wondering if I missed an updated import script or something. do i understand it correctly that importing the bones and all into Max still doesn't work?
Rimbros
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Rimbros »

I take a view of all this abouth mod Dragon Age II and its very good (i expert in Moding Mu Online and Ran Online thinks), the real trouble its the important information and skill to do this its missing in thousand and thousands of trash posts, the one i rescue its the programs necesary to mod:

Insanity's ReadMe Generator
pyGFF
Lightwave 10
ERFv3 Packer

But another think i found its nothing news to inject new armors models in the game, i see something boy (ishmaeltheforsaken) are deleted something vertexs from original armors and edited the texture files but nothing abouth exported sucefully a new complete diferent item inside of the game, maybe i not have luck and need search more, but this its all i found.
If you can Provide a full guide abouth how extract, edit and inject armor inside of the game maybe i can put armors like this inside of the game:

Renders Art by Rimbros
http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn12 ... E/Renders/

Personal Game repository samples, send PM
tinnycan
ultra-n00b

Post by tinnycan »

Rimbros wrote:I take a view of all this abouth mod Dragon Age II and its very good (i expert in Moding Mu Online and Ran Online thinks), the real trouble its the important information and skill to do this its missing in thousand and thousands of trash posts, the one i rescue its the programs necesary to mod:

Insanity's ReadMe Generator
pyGFF
Lightwave 10
ERFv3 Packer

But another think i found its nothing news to inject new armors models in the game, i see something boy (ishmaeltheforsaken) are deleted something vertexs from original armors and edited the texture files but nothing abouth exported sucefully a new complete diferent item inside of the game, maybe i not have luck and need search more, but this its all i found.
If you can Provide a full guide abouth how extract, edit and inject armor inside of the game maybe i can put armors like this inside of the game:

I would wait, currently it is very difficult to implement new meshes in the game. As far as I can tell, you can only modify existing meshes. If you import, everything goes to hell and doesn't work. I'd wait until better tools are released although all signs point to no official support, as they encrytped their new DLC.
yair1221
beginner

Post by yair1221 »

how the hell do you find the right textures?
there are thousands
AnotherChris
ultra-n00b

Post by AnotherChris »

Being new, I hate to gravedig a thread but it seemed better than starting a new one. I have a question that I'm very much hoping someone can help with. I'm using the LW plugin (with LW 9.0) and I'm having trouble getting the textures applied properly. I found them no problem, but can't get them on the models. Eventually I'm planning to retexture some things, but first I need to solve my major deficiency with getting them on. I'd appreciate any pointers anyone can offer. Thanks!

Edit: Stupid user is stupid. Problem solved. :(
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

So sorry to bring up an old thread but is there a way to import a DA2 model in blender 2.49b with armature intact?

Edit ... sorry I meant the script here
Szkaradek123 wrote:Update for Blender249 importer:
- add uv-mapping for hair and beards.
The UVs on the hair mesh work but the armature gets "blown up" and errors.
artworkplay
veteran

Post by artworkplay »

artworkplay wrote:So sorry to bring up an old thread but is there a way to import a DA2 model in blender 2.49b with armature intact?

Edit ... sorry I meant the script here
Szkaradek123 wrote:Update for Blender249 importer:
- add uv-mapping for hair and beards.
The UVs on the hair mesh work but the armature gets "blown up" and errors.
Vertex groups are numeric while armature has named groups.
There has to be a working blender version somewhere?
Devilot
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Devilot »

I too am interested to know if there has been any progress on this :)