Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[NGC] F-Zero GX Unpacker and Packer (LZ and ARC)

Programs that are related to this or that game.
GameZelda
advanced

[NGC] F-Zero GX Unpacker and Packer (LZ and ARC)

Post by GameZelda »

Here's a command line tool that will take a F-Zero GX directory and unpack all LZ and ARC files, or take an unpacked directory and pack it again.

USAGE:
Easy if you know how to use the command line.

Code: Select all

./gxpand unpack input output
OR
./gxpand pack input output
input and output SHOULD be directories, and MUST not be the same one. (There's a way to make it work with files, but it's so weird and useless that it isn't worth explaining). Usually you would want to pack or unpack the whole game, I guess...

---

IMPORTANT!, I have not tested if the repacked ARCs work in the game, because I have nothing to edit them and test! But they will most likely work... maybe :roll:

There are no plans to support more formats in this tool! This tool will just support compression and archive formats which can be repacked lossless, and I think I got them all. This tool is designed to make possible to look at the game resources easily.

ALSO, I have already figured out the .TPL format (textures) completely, and a huge chunk of the .GMA format (models). This means that I'll post tools to convert or edit them in a few days :keke: .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GameZelda
advanced

Re: [NGC] F-Zero GX Unpacker and Packer (LZ and ARC)

Post by GameZelda »

Well I have some good news. I figured out how are materials stored and I have been able to export fully texturized models :eek: There are still some problems to solve (vertex normals, texture extraction, some unknown fields in the models that I'd like to figure out), but it's pretty good until now.

Here's a render to create hype :P

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
jaden
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by jaden »

Thanks a lot for the info bro
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

This tool is now also on the blog. blog
CosmoCortney
ultra-n00b

Post by CosmoCortney »

hi,
sorry, but can someone give me an explicite instruction how to use these codes? i tryed it for many times, but no success..
thanks
StarkNebula
ultra-n00b

Post by StarkNebula »

@GameZelda: Thanks a lot for the tools! I've been rummaging through F-Zero GX's ROM and found a couple of cool things. The next step was to explore F-Zero AX's ROM (content is extractable with GameCube Explorer). 'gxpand' can unarchive AX's .ARC files but not any of the .LZ files. What I get is this:

C:\Users\…\gxpand unpack input output
UnLZ output\st87.gma.lz
std.stream.ReadException@std\stream.d<46>: not enough data in stream
----------------
47EA54
47E8CB
----------------

C:\Users\…\gxpand>save
'save' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\…\gxpand>close
'close' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I had to screen cap to see this because the prompt closes so quickly. Anyway, I was wondering if you or anyone else here could find a way to unpack AX's .LZ files. The ROM I'm working from for AX was (re)dumped on October 14, 2009. *The ROM is under-dumped, according to DiscEx0.8(a). This is particularly important to me because I've undertaken the task of writing the the F-Zero pages on tcrf.net, and would love to complete an F-Zero AX page.

What will this accomplish? Well, going through what I could of AX, there are 19 new stages within AX's 'stg' folder that were not present in GX's ROM. Stages numbered 77-110, missing a bunch in between. These could either be test stages, or unused/beta stages. It would be crazy if we could extract that content. Not to mention that while looking at AX's 'bmp>stg', the folder containing the background images on course select, there is a file called, 'bmp_stg_aur' that is not present in GX, insisting there was 1 more venue that didn't make the cut in GX. *It is an .ARC file and can be extracted, but it's image is a placeholder (Port Town's BG with 'DUMMY' written over it.) Perhaps one of those stages at least contains 'aur' textures.

Please let me know either what I can do to get the .LZ's unpacked or help me out if you're as curious about those files as I am. C: