Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Model Format

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
MSG1000
n00b

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Model Format

Post by MSG1000 »

Hello I'm new here but I would like someone to take a look at the Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 model format which is .gmd (Note this is not the format for Game Maker and it is not the same as the .gmd type found in the Ninja Gaiden 2 Xbox 360 game.)

Here is the link for the original forum where Surveyor did a TON of work on creating tools for Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3741

Unfortunately the thread died before Sigma 2 was looked at.

If anyone can figure it out that would be great.

I also put a link here for NGS2 Sample files, its in the middle of the page and was posted by Mariokart54n.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3741&start=135
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Model Format

Post by revelation »

i started looking into this back then originally, but got side-tracked and forgot about it, heh.

For the most part things are mostly the same, a few things have been changed and/or moved around though.

i'll see if i can pick up where i left off when i get the chance.
MSG1000
n00b

Post by MSG1000 »

Revelation if you could do that I sure would appreciate it! Thank you for replying.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

ditto, the character models are x10 better in simga2, cant wait to see them :"P
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
MSG1000
n00b

Post by MSG1000 »

mariokart64n wrote:ditto, the character models are x10 better in simga2, cant wait to see them :"P
Exactly, also according to the game files they actually have a model for Kasumi who apparently makes a couple of cameos but you can only see her from behind and in the dark. Considering all the detail that they gave Ayane I'm somewhat hoping that we can see the full model.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

textures show a full face for kasumi, but its a recycled from another model
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
MSG1000
n00b

Post by MSG1000 »

Hey revelation have you had any time to look at this at all? I know you have your own life and everything but I don't want this topic to die out if the solution is relatively simple. Also what do you use/ what do you do to look at the model formats? I'm a bit curious is all.
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

i got started on it, but have not finished mapping the changes yet.

i work on a lot of formats, and bounce between then in order to not get to burnt out on any single one. Also time away from a roadblock usually makes it easier to spot what i may have been overlooking otherwise. Not to say that was the case here, but i also have a list of games that interest me most, usually the ones that got me interested in reverse engineering in the first place, so its often that those end up retaking priority when new findings/inspiration popup, heh.

For the most part i use a mixture of 010 Editor and if necessary a good disassembler. The template/script support of 010 Editor has proven to be of great use to me as i can usually proof my findings as i go and the language is basically c/c++ so i can usually use the structures i create directly in my code with little to no modifications. Either way for most formats a good deal of things can be figured out directly in any decent hex editor.

From there is mainly comes down to knowing, or having a good idea of, what you are looking for and the various forms it will usually be present (for graphics data usually floating point values in groups of 3 (vectors), 4 (vectors/quaternions), 16 (matrices), etc....so being able to recognize common patterns and formatting of floats can be very beneficial).

i'll see if i can allocate more time to complete looking into things, but since i did not create the original plugin for Noesis, i can't really modify it anyway, but i can pass the information along once determined and see.
MSG1000
n00b

Post by MSG1000 »

Thanks for the reply revelation! I completely understand bouncing around to prevent burnout and other games that interest you more take priority. Also thank you for giving that info on what exactly you have to do.

For the Noesis plugin couldn't you submit a specific plugin for just Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2? It would make the plugin submission easier and it seems less complex than melding two different formats with the same name together for one plugin, but then again I'm not a programmer so I could be wrong.

Even so thank you for offering your expertise on this!
Szkaradek123
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Szkaradek123 »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Szkaradek123
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Szkaradek123 »

i created edges :
1 edge = vert[0]+vert[1]
2 edge = vert[1]+vert[2]
3 edge = vert[2]+vert[3]
4 edge = vert[3]+vert[4]
but i don't know how it use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maniacoloco
advanced

Post by maniacoloco »

Any news about this formar??
MuffinMan123
beginner

Post by MuffinMan123 »

hope this thread is not dead yet, looking forward to this as well
howfie
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by howfie »

i started looking at this format last night... got to the point where you extract all the OBJGEO/GEODECL pairs. some things confuse me though, like:

following the name of the object, there is some data... usually the name till the end of the OBJGEO section is 32 bytes, but sometimes it's longer (OBJGEO is usually 112 bytes total, but when it's larger there is some crap data at the end I can't figure out what it is).

here is some code... it just outputs text files for the three ps3 models someone posted up above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MuffinMan123
beginner

Post by MuffinMan123 »

I am going to starting learning, wish I took cryptography so I can recognize the patterns easier.

but please keep us updated with your progress, thanks.