Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3, PC)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
chrrox

Re: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)

Post by chrrox »

you can't use linux to dump the game you need to use a jail broken console or dev console to get the unencrypted files.
the DATA.cvm files should start with
CVMH
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

if anyone wishes to have the ability to dump games, you will need a hacked PS3. I believe if your firmware is below 3.5 then your system is able to be hacked. the hack puts your console in debug mode allowing control over the system. this being a forum of hackers, and soon to be hackers, its an essential to anyone here to have a hacked console.
don't be a fool and let having control pass you by. soon the older firmware consoles will fade in stores, and you won't be able to hack your system at a later time.
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
jaden
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by jaden »

Awesome thanks a lot for this chrrox
xentax55
ultra-n00b

Post by xentax55 »

I don't have a PS3 able to extract those 3D files sadly (firmware already updated).
For those that have the ability to extract the 3d models, textures and sounds(?) would it be possible to link those files on a download site like filesonic.com, or a cloud based filesystem like dropbox? I would really like access to them if possible.

In any case, great job chrrox for devising a way to get at them.
almondega
ultra-n00b

Post by almondega »

Thanks for sharing!

Will it / does it support animation?

Att,
Chaquan
ultra-n00b

Post by Chaquan »

I extracted from the extraction of texture with RangerRU this, so I do not know if they have more than Chrrox extract (I expect them to, because I think the same way they extract the files) to extract the texture of the same name...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 fashion Leather shoes at CWMALLS, all of them are high quality and the best shoes shop online.
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

the models are a bit annoying to work with, as max does not work well with double faces. although the VC models don't exactly have double faces.. more or less faces that are very close together.. and they somehow show in a render.

I use max 8 by the way, so my results may be very different then yours. as for transparency.. max isn't very user friendly.. theres no HUGE option that says transparency on your off.

by default if the texture has a 4th channel, aka alpha channel transparency is automatically turned on. to disable it, or enable it properly. you have to go into the material, then say you have a texture on the diffuse channel. click on that to bring up the texture properties

then you want to change the source to opaque (aka solid)

then drag and copy whats in the diffuse channel to your opacity channel.. and repeat the above.. enter texture properties.. etc.. only change your alpha source to alpha.. or something..

I do it all the time, its just I never pay attention to what the names are of everything. play around in the texture properties and you'll get it locked down. unfortunate that max's materials are soo confusing.

I recommend and new comer start on blender, not max.. blender is the app to use in this day in age.
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

Well, I'm not a beginner with 3DS Max, I just never used textures with " advanced " options like transparency. Or just a little. I did models and a bit animation for friends or in some little projects. I always used basical textures to get an idea of the thing, and sent models to texturers.

Apart from that, first, thank you for your answer. But I've already been through this manipulation, and that actually hide all black parts ( Despite I lost some outlines we can see in the ingame cutscenes, but I think that is in bump files ), but I still have the second problem : Some parts of hair disappeared ( I insist on the fact that I said only some parts, not entire hair ), and I got species of holes everywhere in the hair. I can take a screenshot if you want.

I noticed that I got this holes regardless of the opacity : Even at 0, I got black tips AND holes. So it's surely another parameter, but which ?
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

which model? tell me the model and I'll setup a max scene

EDIT

Sorry, noticed you supplied the texture already. I've setup and example scene in max8.
checkout the material for the hair, or drag and drop that material onto your scene's current hair.

you can change the filter colour to alter the exiting colour of the transparent parts. by default its grey.. but under well light scene setups.. and can result in some darkened areas around the tip of the hair. if you had to you can tweak the filter colour lighter.. but you'll get this below result

this might not even be the cause of your problem.. a dark area around the tip of any geometry is related to the surface normals, and is no way related to the materials.. I would need to see your scene or have more detail of the problem..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

'Scuse me for the waiting time, but I couldn't respond earlier. Thanks for your explanation, but your textures options are all the same as mine ( Except Relief I didn't use, but it's not important here ). I want to apply this texture on the high poly model ( 20k+ ) of Selvaria, which is... 672.hmdl ( And 673 with the face ).

Here is some screens to show you what I mean by " wholes " ( By the way, I noticed that was not really wholes, but only transparency which is more or less pronounced depending on the camera angle ( But if I decrease opacity level I get black parts again ) ( That's French interface, but opacity is only important ) :

When opacity is at 100
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/7879/s ... t145ad.png

When opacity is at 0
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3700 ... hot146.png

When there is no opacity
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2262 ... ot147k.png
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

did you go into the diffuse and disable the alpha?
gta1211
beginner

Post by gta1211 »

If you mean putting the alpha source to opaque, yes, I did it.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

the hair is fairly basic i am not sure what you are doing it looks fine to me
all this is is a double died material with 2 separate textures.
i assign the texture to diffuse then a separate instance of it i assign the alpha. that is it.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

:| hmm.. I'm wondering myself how your having this problem. setting materials in max can be a bit confusing.. but otherwise straight forward and especially since I gave you that file which works fine on my system.

Only thing I can think of, is that the example images you provided are of the viewer port...
the viewer port does not reflect the quality of your scene setup.. so it really isn't any pressing concern.

press (hotkey: F9) and see if the problem is also happening in a production render? if its fine, then horray! there really wasn't a problem at all.

however if you care that much about the viewer port showing 1:1 of the final render quality go get a better computer and use activeshade mode

transparency takes alot of CPU power, so by default transparency is either disabled or placed into simple mode on lower systems.
but if you want to change those settings, go into [Customize > Preferences > ViewPorts > Display Drivers] and make sure your on Directx 9 or 10. and configure them with the highest settings.. map size etc..

Lastly under [View > Viewer Port Configuration] Change transparency to best... {see image below}

I used the same material I sent you and made a render and had no ill effects. I can only assume the problem is a software or hardware issue on your end. :scaredy: