Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Spotlight: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

General game file tools that are useful for more than one game
firsak
advanced

Re: Señor Casaroja's Noesis

Post by firsak »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

I have another DDS file that Noesis cannot interpret. It's from a Wii iso, and it loaded just fine on GIMP.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mirro ... een_01.dds

Also, does Noesis support LDraw .dat files?
BBSFM and KH2FM+ saves are compatible with KH2.5. viewtopic.php?t=13424
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Doesn't openCOLLADA have an import scale option? Does it really make so much difference if you have to change the import scale once in a while?
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Satoh wrote:Doesn't openCOLLADA have an import scale option? Does it really make so much difference if you have to change the import scale once in a while?
Yeah, most importers will have an option to import scene units from the file. This naturally changes the scale and does not import the geometry using your existing scene scale. If you want to have the DAE geometry be the same scale as, say, some OBJ geometry that you've already imported, then...don't import the scene units from the DAE!

On a partially related note, I do get annoyed at people bringing up issues with Noesis that are really just issues with them not understanding The Way Things Work. If you are going to use a free program and be gung-ho about bug reports, that's great, and it helps everyone, but at least know what you are doing before submitting user error, other-importer/exporter-error, or standards-mess (e.g. most, but not all, COLLADA issues) scenarios as bugs in that program.

I like to improve this program, but I do not like to be your personal tutor, and I do not like having to explain to you repeatedly why your problem is not something that should be fixed on my end. On this front, I will be more patient with you if you actually contribute meaningful things to Xentax (e.g. something more than just ripping off models with other peoples' tools and sending, or even worse, selling them to other people), but if you're only here to trade models, make terrible youtube videos of them, and/or whatever else that involves no meaningful Xentax community contribution whatsoever, then I see no reason why I should be holding your hand here. I don't see a reason that I should entertain your feature requests either. It seems to me that most of you who are so eager to make requests have not put forth anything meaningful into this community, donated to help Mr.Mouse with hosting, or really done anything that could be considered giving back.

This forum was not founded around the idea of stealing game content with other peoples' tools. I can't speak for exactly what it was founded around, but I do know it wasn't that. I would guess it was probably something a bit more noble and dedicated to the actual act of reverse engineering data. There are some great and talented people here, and being surrounded by a bunch of selfish leeches only forces those people to be more private and cut off from the community itself, which is a loss for everyone. So be a little bit more self-aware, and consider actually contributing rather than just taking, even though you have your convenient veil of pseudo-anonymity which otherwise allows you to be an unapologetically selfish bastard. You might also just be too young to know what the hell you're doing, in which case, now is your chance to begin learning the skill of introspection.

And while I'm ranting, try to make a clearer distinction between feature requests and bugs. Some of the people who have submitted "bugs" for this program remind me of QA testers I've had to work with who would submit things like "Player move speed feels a bit slower than it should be, imo" as a "bug". I can barely stomach them even when I'm being paid to.

Ok then, carry on. With all that on mind.
firsak
advanced

Post by firsak »

I just tried other apps like Blender, Softimage. I exported models from them into OBJ and DAE and imported them into MAX with OpenCollada. DAEs were always much larger than OBJs, so this is an OpenCollada bug.
Krisan Thyme
advanced

Post by Krisan Thyme »

MrAdults wrote:They're the same size for me, tested with a skeletal model from FFX. Sounds to me like you're probably just importing the scene units from the DAE, so don't do that.
I.. Might be. Damn, it never even occurred to me to check for this. Sigh~
Thanks. (I have faith in DAE again)
MrAdults wrote:2.99 contains a special disclaimer at the top of the "Advanced commands" list, so that you may sleep more soundly from now on.
Cool beans.
MrAdults wrote:Like I said, Noesis will not obey material UV deforms. But most likely that is not even your issue. To flip or not to flip is an age old question, and I've run into it in more modeling packages and formats than I can count. There are even other COLLADA importers/exporters which change the default UV flip. I'll take no part in it, and refuse to change the default to flip, because I know it would cause even more confusing fuckups. I'm sure half of the .3ds files in the world appear to have wrongly flipped UV's too, even though I flip there by default as per the old Max standard. Just flip the UV's yourself if they are not right for your target package/viewer/format/game/etc. It's naive to say it's "broken" in any given package, though, because it's simply a matter of conflicting/absent standards.
I get what you're saying, and yeah, that's kinda what I thought was happening too from my observations when importing\exporting. I wasn't sure why Noesis didn't compensate for it, though, but what you say makes 100% sense, and I agree.. It's better off left as it is. Also you're right that "broken" was probably a bad word to use, too. I guess I should choose my words more carefully!
MrAdults wrote:Yeah, most importers will have an option to import scene units from the file. This naturally changes the scale and does not import the geometry using your existing scene scale. If you want to have the DAE geometry be the same scale as, say, some OBJ geometry that you've already imported, then...don't import the scene units from the DAE!
I think this was an oversight of mine for one simple reason.. Most importers I've dealt with in the past do not default to this kind of behavior. You can often specify to import the model based on the scene, but that's not generally the default behavior. Not in my experience at least, but then I've never used DAE until recently either. (Likewise, OpenCollada doesn't appear to prompt me for options in Max when I import, so it wasn't difficult to overlook.) It was an oversight though, and you're completely correct it was an issue of ignorance on my part.
MrAdults wrote:On a partially related note, I do get annoyed at people bringing up issues with Noesis that are really just issues with them not understanding The Way Things Work.
Well I hope I didn't seem that way myself. I do appreciate the work put into this software, and I rather enjoy its capabilities. I admit I make mistakes though, oversights, but I think we all do at some point or another. The most I can think of to do is say "Thank you" and "Sorry" ~

EDIT:
firsak wrote:I just tried other apps like Blender, Softimage. I exported models from them into OBJ and DAE and imported them into MAX with OpenCollada. DAEs were always much larger than OBJs, so this is an OpenCollada bug.
If this IS a bug with OpenCollada, and not just an oversight on my part.. I feel a little better. I'll find out soon enough I guess.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Having messed around with the Unity game engine recently, I've noticed that OBJ's and DAE's import at vastly different sizes. I think in the end is it simply an issue with the intercompatibility of the two formats.

For instance, when I wrote an exporter for FF9's geometry data (you don't want it, trust me it's crap, which is why I forwarded the FF9 info to MrAdults here) I had to decide whether to use floats or integers for the vertex coordinates.

In the end, they both export to the same configuration, but if I use an int, the vertex is 255 units off this axis, but in float form, it's only 1 unit offset from the axis. (That's due to it using what appear to be 8bit floats, which are essentially ints divided by 256 iirc)

So, considering OBJ seems to use floats, and generally in numbers lower than 100.0 (at least in every file I've seen) it's likely that OBJ's will always import smaller than DAE's unless the scale is corrected on import.
Trishty
advanced

Post by Trishty »

Can you add import support for 3dr(3D Ripper Dx), 3dxml(3DVia) and Obj(GameAssassin) MrAdults?
Mirrorman95
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Mirrorman95 »

Trishty wrote:Can you add import support for 3dr(3D Ripper Dx), 3dxml(3DVia) and Obj(GameAssassin) MrAdults?
He recently updated Noesis to support the OBJs and DDSs that 3D Ripper DX produces based on samples I sent him. 3DXML can be converted to DAE by uploading them on their website, which can be viewed in Noesis (albeit with the UVs flipped). I'm pretty sure whatever OBJ Game Assassin produces should be viewable, and if not, you should link to it here so he can take a look at it if he has the time and energy to do so. He can't really update anything without a sample file, so if you want a chance of anything you can't view in Noesis to be compatible with it, you have to upload it and link it somewhere in this post. Of course, there are probably still a few OBJs and certainly a few DDSs that can't be viewed in Noesis, only in other programs, like the Wii DDS that I uploaded from my Epic Mickey disk a few days ago, and it can't generate or import the MTL files of OBJs, since it uses material names to find analogous textures.

If you really want to convert those formats to a form Noesis understands, you should just research them and download programs that export them to more common 3D formats.
BBSFM and KH2FM+ saves are compatible with KH2.5. viewtopic.php?t=13424
Trishty
advanced

Post by Trishty »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
S0UZ
advanced

Post by S0UZ »

Can u add support for pkb file format?It is Shadow hearts format.
onelove1210
advanced

Post by onelove1210 »

SoftIce
veteran

Post by SoftIce »

For dae scale issues you can try typing -scale 250 in the advanced options area in the export box for Noesis.
threelancelot
ultra-n00b

Post by threelancelot »

fpunch wrote:Hi, I'm new to this kind of thing and to this program especially.

My question is that is it possible to export a model with skeleton bound and weighted to mesh, and then open it in Maya for example? Or at least export the skeleton? I'm looking at a .gmo file in noesis and it contains skeleton also but can't figure if it's possible to export it.

Thanks
Hi....

Im new in the forum but I'm succsefull import models in maya... its a little bit tricky but this are the steps

what you need

a) Maya
b) Milkshape 3d (optional)
c) Noesis
d) DT SMD importer for maya you can download here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CR5HHIZ7

1.- Export model in noesis as smd (check the flip UV's option this way you can load the textures right in maya)
1.1.- Optional some times the model can't bind well to skeleton if it is not in (T) position then in Milkshape you can put the model in this standar position and save de smd model
2.- Import smd model using the plugin in maya. (follow the instructions and select the correct texture file)
3.- Save the scene as maya.. and enjoy
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

3.0:

Code: Select all

-Added support for Saint Seiya: The Hades GMI+TPL files. Plugin source is included. Thanks to fatduck for the file layout, and qslash for additional contributions.
 -Added support for DQ&FF in Itadaki Street Special JOB files. This is through the Saint Seiya plugin as the formats are very similar.
 -Added "Image_LoadTIM2" extension for plugin authors. See the ssthehades_gmi plugin for example usage.
 -Added a new option for SetPreviewOption - "noTextureLoad". Allows a plugin to disable auto-loading additional textures based on filenames for preview mode.
 -Added Noesis_AnimFromAnims and Noesis_AnimFromAnimsList functions for plugin authors. Combines multiple animations and sequences into a single animation with a sequence list.
I'll probably be starting a contract job very soon, which will be possibly followed by a fulltime job for another company, so updates are likely to be very infrequent in the coming months. So if you have more "can you support x" requests, that's what pluginsource.zip is for!