Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Extract Files from Turok 1996 & 2008

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Genesis
ultra-n00b

Extract Files from Turok 1996 & 2008

Post by Genesis »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to extract all possible files from the old 1996 Turok. I read about a program called GoBread and then GoBakery, I couldn't find either one of them. Also I don't think they are compatible with a 64bit system. So if anyone knows how I could extract these files, let me know.

The other thing is Turok 2008, I want to get some of the dinosaur models out, possibly import them into other games or at least open them with 3ds Max or something like that. Let me know what program I should use if its possible at all.

Thanks!
CMihai
veteran

Re: Extract Files from Turok 1996 & 2008

Post by CMihai »

For Turok (2008) you can use uModel

There's a also a ActionX import script for 3DSMax, that let you import .psk files (which you get after unpacking files)
Genesis
ultra-n00b

Post by Genesis »

CMihai wrote:For Turok (2008) you can use uModel

There's a also a ActionX import script for 3DSMax, that let you import .psk files (which you get after unpacking files)

Hey thanks for the reply! That sounds great, I just did a quick search on the mentioned script, couldn't find it. Where can I download it ?
SLIFallen
advanced

Post by SLIFallen »

Genesis wrote:
CMihai wrote:For Turok (2008) you can use uModel

Hey thanks for the reply! That sounds great, I just did a quick search on the mentioned script, couldn't find it. Where can I download it ?
It's actually called ActorX and it's included with Epic's UDK http://www.udk.com/

HOWEVER.. If you are using UEViewer (umodel recently had to rename the application at Epic's request) to extract the characters/skeletal meshes then you need to use thier customized version of ActorX available HERE: http://www.gildor.org/projects/unactorx
Genesis
ultra-n00b

Post by Genesis »

Thank you once again for the great help! I just downloaded and installed them. Seems to work, I'll get Turok in the mail in a few days. I might download a UT demo to play around with it.
I'm new to everything about 3D models and you've been a great help! Thank you
Genesis
ultra-n00b

Post by Genesis »

Ok I need more help. I got Turok installed now, downloaded the UE Viewer, thats all I could figure out. How do I start / install UE Viewer? It comes with an exe and a dll file, whenever I click the .exe a window pops up and disappears within a second. I checked the readme and Gildor's site but couldnt find anything useful.
SLIFallen
advanced

Post by SLIFallen »

Genesis wrote:Ok I need more help. I got Turok installed now, downloaded the UE Viewer, thats all I could figure out. How do I start / install UE Viewer? It comes with an exe and a dll file, whenever I click the .exe a window pops up and disappears within a second. I checked the readme and Gildor's site but couldnt find anything useful.
UEviewer needs to run from a command (prompt) window. In windows, Click start (or start-run depending on your windows version) and type in "cmd" (no quotes) This will give you a command prompt window. You then need to navigate to whatever folder UEviewer is in, and then you can run the commands you see in the readme.

Alternately, there is a GUI program for UEViewer a user wrote that is available here: http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php/topic,330.0.html

It does have some bugs, and can be slow, but it does mostly work.
Genesis
ultra-n00b

Post by Genesis »

Got it working now. Pretty neat tool once you get the hang of it! I'm able to open some of the models in 3ds Max. I don't understand that whole concept yet. It seems like the meshes, animations and materials are all separate files. No clue how to put it all together and export it into a different engine, if that's even possible.
But I haven't done a lot of research on that yet. So I'll be busy doing that.
nickru58
beginner

Post by nickru58 »

hello everyone.

i just started playing this game and am semi good at modding.

this probably isn't possible since the game doesn't have the right tools for modding and no one is probably going to answer this because it is such an old game but i was playing around the umodel or whatever and exported the models of shepard and turok and wanted to swap them around along with other models just for fun.

IS IT POSSIBLE???

just wondering