Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Help with Jaeder Naub

Problems getting MultiEx Commander or other related programs to run? This is where you post.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Help with Jaeder Naub

Post by Pepper »

Every time I try to open Jaeder Naub 2.0.6c it just says: the parameter is incorrect.

And when right-click then run as a specific user (I only have one on my laptop) it then displays an error message saying: invalid picture.

I'm using Windows XP, and I've tried running in different compatibility modes, but that doesn't seem to help.

I'm trying to find and extract the foley and weapon sound effects from MGS3, I think they're in the slot.dat, as it's the only one I haven't opened. (VOX.dat was just 4963 vocal files and no sound effects) I can't seem to find any way to open slot.dat besides trying Jaeder Naub (once it works of course).
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Re: Help with Jaeder Naub

Post by Mr.Mouse »

You are using JN stand alone?
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

I believe so, it's the main download on the Jaeder Naub site.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

At the Gile File Format Central?
Jaeder Naub

I can start that one without error. It's a previous version though. You should PM Strobe on this here at the forum. He's the author of JN.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Mr.Mouse wrote:At the Gile File Format Central?
Jaeder Naub

I can start that one without error. It's a previous version though. You should PM Strobe on this here at the forum. He's the author of JN.
It gives me the same two errors again depending on how I run it. I'm going to PM him right now.
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

Interesting......

so it only gives errors with specific files or do i need new glasses?

if its specific files i would love to have those. i have never heard of those runtime errors before when using
the program =X

this needs to be investigated!

Edit:
Okay, i needed new glasses. so the error happens everytime you start it.
Ill check this out. *brb*

Edit 9582:
Try this new betapackage, i changed a thing in the Icon structure which "could" somehow be quirky on
specific systems.

http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/jntest.zip

Let me know if it works or not!
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Oh well, good news and bad news. it gives me the same errors, but for some reason now when I run as a specific user it takes a little longer, like it's doing something, but then pops up saying "invalid picture" again.

I just did a little searching on the "invalid picture" thing (seems a little weird to be talking about pictures at startup) and I found this:
I found the solution on the following forum

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php? ... st&p=13789

In a nutshell, make sure your temp environment variable is pointing to a writeable area, ie ramdisk, hdd.

Next time you fire up a vb6 application have a look in your temp directory and you'll see a ~blah.tmp file in there, that exists for the duration of the application.
Could this be related?

Edit: Wait a sec. I think it's telling me that "the parameter is incorrect" because for some reason it can't find and execute it. the whole variable thing is also happening because it can't find the location again. Am I on the right track or should I leave it up to you guys? It's just that above "parameter is incorrect" is says the file path of the Jaeder Naub executable making me think that that is what's incorrect. It's probably some weird problem with my system.
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

I did make some specific tests now, and i finally made it too run with an error.

What i did was running it in an virtual Win XP 32bit environment, took "Run as..." and had
"Protect blah blah blah" clicked. and then i also get the "Invalid picture" error.

However, running this natively with Protected blah in the real windows environment didnt
display the error. So im guessing you have some sort of harsh security checkings or somehow
running a protected mode environment to make this happen.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

WooW!! Nice reproducing the error, Strobe! Way to go! 8)
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

Well, i still dont really know why it happens =P , and Pepper is the first one i ever heard had this to happen!
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Hmm... I'll try changing any security settings I can. Oh, and thanks for all the help so far. :>

Oh and the main error is the incorrect parameter one.
Strobe

Post by Strobe »

Okay, lets try one more edit of the startup crap.

http://jaedernaub.ath.cx/jntest2.zip
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Nope, same two errors depending on how it's opened. I really appreciate all the help, but in the mean time I ripped sounds out of another ps2 game, BLACK, instead. So if you still want to help I'm all up for it because Jaeder Naub looks like a wonderful tool.
Pepper
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Pepper »

Ahah! way back when i posted this i had some problems with other software and games shortly after, I reformatted and it works perfectly now.
gamehead
advanced

Post by gamehead »

Pepper wrote:Nope, same two errors depending on how it's opened. I really appreciate all the help, but in the mean time I ripped sounds out of another ps2 game, BLACK, instead. So if you still want to help I'm all up for it because Jaeder Naub looks like a wonderful tool.

Pepper

How did you rip the sound out of Black I am trying to do this right now and I've tried MFAudio and ADPCM player but I cannot get the sounds to play right they keep skipping no matter what. I did get the settings right at one time in MFAudio but sadly I didnt document the settings and I forgot them. all I want to do is rip the stuff inside the .BKS archives, they have a .SSH file accompanying each .BKS file. What program(s) did you use to rip the Black sounds?
Thanks. :?: