Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
marneus72
ultra-n00b

Re: Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post by marneus72 »

Hi all
I have a little question for you. Do you plane in near futur to allow us to have tracks textures? Because i only see .bin and bix file for tracks.

Thansk for your answer.
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Yes, I actually started working on Forza Studio again a little bit last week and added code to extract the textures from .xds files (much thanks to shadowmoy for pointing me in the right direction), but I still need to look into extracting the track texture data as well as finish up the code to extract all of the track model data.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like the texture data is contained within the .bix files. I'm not sure exactly what format the texture data is in (and don't know yet why they split each one up into two separate files), but I've outlined the header information below in case any of you wish to look into this any further...

Code: Select all

Offset	Datatype	Description
0x0	char[4]		'BIX0' file signature
0x4	int			Width
0x8	int			Height
0xC	int			Possibly texture type or level count?
0x10	enum		Texture format (D3DFMT)
0x14	int			Data size of combined .bix and _B.bix files (minus the 28 byte header)
0x18	int			File size of the accompanying _B.bix file
0x1C	byte[]		Texture Data....
Update:
ImageImage
Last edited by Ernegien on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gpktm
beginner

Post by gpktm »

Ernegien wrote:Yes, I actually started working on Forza Studio again a little bit last week
Nice to have you back in action Ernegien :wink:
marneus72
ultra-n00b

Post by marneus72 »

Great! Thank you.
kapatan
ultra-n00b

Post by kapatan »

Hi Ernegien.
Thank you for great tool.

but ...not working.
Why only Debug program?
Please compile in Release mode.
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

kapatan wrote:Hi Ernegien.
Thank you for great tool.

but ...not working.
Why only Debug program?
Please compile in Release mode.
Well, it's compiled as a debug build because that's really all that it is so far. It's not even close to the point where I can support it as a proper application, and compiling it in release mode will probably not fix the issue you're having anyways. If I had to guess, I would say you have a relatively older graphics card that doesn't support some of the newer features used during the d3d device initialization (particularly the MultiSampleType, so try commenting that line out first). I will probably end up having some sort of compatibility mode to choose from, but until then, you could always download visual studios express and try compiling/modifying the project yourself. It's relatively straightforward and might turn out to be a rewarding experience for you :)
kapatan
ultra-n00b

Post by kapatan »

Thanks reply,Ernegien.
I am not good at programming,so I don't understand in detail.
Now,I am in trouble not to work Forza Studio.
Lestart
ultra-n00b

Post by Lestart »

Hi all, i've a strange problem trying to convert the lods from the Ferrari 288GTO. This is not my first conversion so i'm sure i'm doing all the steps well. I've converted in .obj the carbin file with lod 1-5 using the last version of forza studio, i've imported the obj file on zmodeler 2.2.4 and saved it on gmt because i've to convert it for rFactor. The problem appears when i open this gmt on 3dsimed and only with this car. When i open the gmt, 3d simed doesn't show the car. If i click on edit materials i've all the materials of the car but not the 3d of themodel. I've this problem only with the lods 1-5, cockpit and lod0 works well. I've tried to import the obj on 3d studio max 2010 to export it on opencollada with the settings i used for all the other cars, but i recived this error message: "vertex coordinates too big. adjust object-scale". Any suggestion how to solve the problem ? Thanks in advance. Bye!

p.s: if you need the 3d model, let me know and i will post here the link
3n1g
ultra-n00b

Post by 3n1g »

Wonderfull piece of software this.

The only problem I experienced is I can't import it to Blender by any means.

3dsMax if fine so is DeepExploration. but even with opening first with any of these and then expporting with any other format the model still gets messed up.
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

@3n1g that would suggest one of two things to me, if the models are working in other 3d programs , then its pretty obvious its not the model ( or forza studio's ) fault. Id say its either , your copy of blender is busted, or you are not converting the models to another format properly. but it is NOT forza studio thats causing this. if it was the model wouldn't work in any program.

id look more into how your converting things or double check your copy of blender maybe its import settings ???
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
damusto
beginner

Post by damusto »

You're wrong Nobby.
I had proven here, by showing screenshots from Forza studio, that mesh problems are already appearing in it.

There are 2 options:
1) forza models are done bad
2) forza studio decodes them defectively
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

@damusto: Forza Studio extracts the car models 100% properly, its Forza 3 models that have errors. :wink: I've been working with Forza models for awhile to other games, ive noticed all errors come from within Forza, I take reference images when doing a mod from Forza and get up and close.

For example: BMW 2002 Turbo.

Badging is screwed, rear light glass is all bumpy etc.

Last edited by toolieo on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
damusto
beginner

Post by damusto »

yeah now its clear I was asking for this type screens some time a go - I dont have PS to check this my self.
Thanks Toolieo
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

toolieo wrote:@damusto: Forza Studio extracts the car models 100% properly, its Forza 3 models that have errors. :wink: I've been working with Forza models for awhile to other games, ive noticed all errors come from within Forza, I take reference images when doing a mod from Forza and get up and close.

For example: BMW 2002 Turbo.[/b

Badging is screwed, rear light glass is all bumpy etc.

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for those reference shots, as they do help to reassure me that the extraction process is as correct as it can be.

Aside from these obvious geometry problems, the other issue that people seem to come across often is that some modeling applications will recalculate new normals after importing the model or before rendering. This is a problem because the new normals that get calculated are now based off of the lesser precise vertex information so smoothing issues may be introduced. In order to get the best results, you will need to import these models into a modeling application that preserves the original normals from the file extracted by Forza Studio.
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

Ernegien wrote: Very interesting indeed. Thanks for those reference shots, as they do help to reassure me that the extraction process is as correct as it can be.
Not a problem, if you ever need more for any reason just ask.

I have a lot of images like those. :]