Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

.PDO Models (They contain Mesh & Texture Data) Conversion?

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

.PDO Models (They contain Mesh & Texture Data) Conversion?

Post by Zerox »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: .PDO Models (They contain Mesh & Texture Data) Conversio

Post by mariokart64n »

yeah i see vertices at the start of the file, and some sections of faces, probably separated based on strips or based on the how the program creates the paper folds. too lazy to try and import models, cause i'm pretty sure theres other ways to get the PDO models converted.
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

mariokart64n wrote:yeah i see vertices at the start of the file, and some sections of faces, probably separated based on strips or based on the how the program creates the paper folds. too lazy to try and import models, cause i'm pretty sure theres other ways to get the PDO models converted.
I've scoured the internet looking for ways to convert them on my own, and in fact there once was a converter back in 2006: http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/

3D Object Converter, used to be able to convert them and it still can, but only with old outdated files from a previous version of the format. It's no longer compatible with the models that are produced now.

Thanks for at least looking and confirming there is real data in there for anyone who may look in the future. But I'm fairly certain that there aren't any existing methods. This is why I decided to break down and ask here.
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
Last edited by Wobble on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karpati
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Karpati »

Zerox wrote:[I've scoured the internet looking for ways to convert them on my own, and in fact there once was a converter back in 2006: http://web.t-online.hu/karpo/
The stupid company changed the file format because of that.
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
Last edited by Wobble on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enrique3
ultra-n00b

Post by enrique3 »

Hi Zerox!
It's a pleasure to greet you. I've worked with this program for a while, and if you want to obtain models it's very easy.
Also exists the program Pepakura Designer. This program is used to unfold models 3D and turning them into templates, for later to be able to build them in paper.
This is a program of payment, but with this program, you can convert directly the model to the format OBJ. The problem is that it doesn't export textures, just the model.
Some files PDO, are protected with password, and only you can open them with the Pepakura Viewer, because they don't open in the Pepakura Designer, only if you have the password.

I have a Pepakura Designer that is cracked, and it doesn't needs register. This program will open any file PDO, although it be protected with any password. Normally those who make Papercraft protect their works to avoid that they be modified.
Just you have to open this program and to select the file PDO. Later you'll find some options to export the model.
You see the image here:

The problem are the textures! It doesn't export textures, just the model.
I hope this may help you. I send you a personal message.

Regards!
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

yeah with a forum of programmers, and some who make programs for a living... maybe it wasnt such a good idea to be talking about program piracy lol

ohwell, least we know that these files were redesigned for content security, maybe we should just leave it alone.
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

Uh Warez are against the rules here, it's nice to see someone want to help but none the less warez aren't allowed. But I wasn't aware the full version could export the models back to a normal format. I'll look into how much it costs, that or I'll just attempt to get the models from the games I want the old fashioned way.

I guess there really isn't a need for the topic then if there is a way of getting to the model data. Though if someone wanted to make something free still that'd be cool too. Thanks anyway. :wink:

Edit: Before I threw the cash down I figured I'd research the export feature, and apparently what it does is it exports the mesh but it exports it with a UV map set to fit the pdf print out of the model instead of the original texture. So in that case I'm not wasting the $40's. I'll just try to rip from an actual game instead.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

seems silly to me to invest any time on this format. since most models that are imported are ripped models from other games to begin with. it sounds dodgy that your trying to rip models from an app of ripped models.. why not just get the rips from the source?

I could understand, if maybe there are some user created models. but honestly, if they wanted people mucking with their work, they would have supplied the model with the upload.
Zerox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Zerox »

In earnest I mostly wanted to convert the N64 models in hopes their uvmaps would be fixed up already. But as I already said I can just get them from their original source.
enrique3
ultra-n00b

Post by enrique3 »

Oops! Too much violence!
Relax guys, I don't intend to offend nobody, neither disobeying the rules of this site!

I have the original program that I bought. I don't need to cash in on the work of nobody.
Only I offered a partial solution to Zerox, like he mentions it, with the intention of a real help. That's all.

Zerox; Not all models of video games are better. Just some ingenuous kids think that these models are better.
There are hundred of people in internet that create better models 3D, and besides they offer them for free.
The models PDO, are not directly models 3D original, because these need to be modified through the some programs like 3D Max, Maya, Metasequoia, for an easier realization in paper.
Reduction of polygons, unnecessary parts, etc.
As I mentioned you, if you have any doubt, we can comment it.

Regards.
Wobble
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by Wobble »

[out]
Anvilus9
ultra-n00b

Post by Anvilus9 »

Has there been any progress on deciphering the new binary
PDO file format? Alternately, does anyone know of an import/export
function in an existing package to read new binary PDO and
export to old ASCII PDO?

I would like to extract the 2D data to export to a water jet cutter
so that I can make objects out of thin metal or plastic sheet.
Tama currently provides an interface to CraftROBO paper
cutters.

Thanks