Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ark files (RockBand 3)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
checksum
ultra-n00b

Ark files (RockBand 3)

Post by checksum »

Im trying to open the ARK files in Rock Band 3. Normally they open up fine in Arktool 7. But for some reason they dont work now.
There are 9 ark files and a header file.
chrrox

Re: Ark files (RockBand 3)

Post by chrrox »

sample would be needed.
checksum
ultra-n00b

Post by checksum »

Im not sure how I would upload them. The ARK files are about 5.47 GB. Personally I think its the ARK.HDR thats causing the problem for ARKtool7. So should I try to upload all the ark files or just the header file?
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

the first and last 10mb or so of the file
checksum
ultra-n00b

Post by checksum »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
checksum
ultra-n00b

Post by checksum »

Is that what is needed? I could do each ark file in its own DL. There are 10 Ark files plus this header and I think they are all needed to have a chance of opening it up.
omfgpota
advanced

Post by omfgpota »

here checksum try to use file cutter for getting the first and last part

http://www.xentax.com/downloads/tools/filecutter.zip
checksum
ultra-n00b

Post by checksum »

I cant seem to get that program to work. I get it all loaded up and hit Go! then I see a little window that says "cutter" "ok". So I hit ok and one more window just like it comes up. I hit ok again and it looks like its done but there is No new file where I told the program to put it.
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

checksum wrote:Im trying to open the ARK files in Rock Band 3. Normally they open up fine in Arktool 7. But for some reason they dont work now.
There are 9 ark files and a header file.

Just to explain why you cant extract ARK files using arktool 7...

Every so often harmonix updated the song encryption, when there was an RB1/RB2 update it was usually an encryption update. they had to do it to try and stop people from ripping off there master tracks ( which lets be honest, thats what we all want right :wink: )

Arktool 7 will still extract stuff, but only stuff that was before the last update ( which was in July 09 ) so the original RB2 disk songs can be extracted and even the AC/DC song pack can be extracted. but nothing after that date. Now the guy that created Arktool DID figure out how to decrypt the data after that last update. but was VERY quickly employed by harmonix on the understanding he removes his current copy of arktool from its main DL source and NEVER reveals how to crack the new encryption. So that takes you up to and just after July 09. Since then RB 3 has been made and yet again they changed the encryption and also a major change to all the DLC making it RB3 compatible ( they did the same to the DLC for RB1 when RB2 came out)

so don't worry about arktool not working.. it hasn't worked properly since last year.. the best way we can go about this is if some amazing dude ( or dudette ) here can figure out the encryption. coz if they do, not only will they give us access to the RB3 songs, but also the RB2 DLC that we could never extract.

So come on guys we NEEED your help :D

Edit* just to let you know what you should find in an ark file ( for the RB games ) they should contain a MOGG ( multi track .ogg file ) and a Midi file, it may also contain some kind of text document like a .ini ( as this is the file that contains the song title and artist ) but arktool never used to extract those it just extracted the mogg and the midi.
hope that info may help in some way..

Nobby..
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

I used file cutter set to its largest size 1024k to get a start and end chunk of data.
I did it on a couple of different ark files ( as someone else pointed out, there is 10 ark files in total ) So i chose Ark's 0,1 and 7. Hope these will be enough for someone to take a look at. if you need bigger files and there is a way to make filecutter do bigger sizes, please do tell . i couldn't see anything obvious tho.

Ark 0
Ark 1
Ark 7

Hopefully some one will figure out how to extract the ark's and write a nice little extractor exe for us. :wink:
jfwfreo
veteran

Post by jfwfreo »

The most likely way that someone will crack the encryption is if someone was to reverse engineer the executable of the game and find out how it works that way.
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

Or they could just have a go at trying to decrypt the ark files that they asked for.. not trying to be funny, but if someone like chrrox says post a sample of the file you want cracked, thats exactly what im gonna do. ive seen him crack so many things, that if he said "yeah ill need you to actually slice off part of the dvd and post it to me" id probably do that too :D

Now with a bit of luck someone will take a look at the ark files and see if they can find anything. lets hope ..
fHH7888
ultra-n00b

Post by fHH7888 »

any change guys? btw, Nooby you say the date was July 09 - but it was earlier - 23/12/08. This is the last DLC which could be decrypted.
1212fg
ultra-n00b

Post by 1212fg »

any update? is possible to decrypt MOGG files from RB DLC ?
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

fHH7888 wrote:any change guys? btw, Nooby you say the date was July 09 - but it was earlier - 23/12/08. This is the last DLC which could be decrypted.
i had to look up the release dates for the acdc track pack and everywhere i looked said Nov 2nd 09 for Xbox, ps3 and ps2. so thats the date i went with. and i know the acdc pack can be extracted coz ive extracted it myself with arktool7 (since then i looked it up again and found other places that said it was released nov 2nd 08
1212fg wrote:any update? is possible to decrypt MOGG files from RB DLC ?
Nope no change, if there was you would see it here..

Altho i know some people have found "other" ways of getting the master tracks without using extraction methods, i just don't know how they did it. a few of my friends have all the rb3, gh4,5,6 songs saved as moggs