Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Panesar
n00b

Re: Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post by Panesar »

Hi there I downloaded this tool and as soon as I try and run it I get "Forza Studio has stopped working" message, I tried running it on a laptop and I get some error about a goalie or something. Basically is there any way I can get this to work, heres a list of my specs and the error.txt, not sure if thats right but its in the folder.

Win 7 Pro 64-bit
Intel i3 2.97GHz
GeForce 310
8Gb of Ram

(the laptop runs vista 32-bit)

Here is the error from my computer.

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at ForzaStudio.ForzaTrackSubPart.GenerateVertices(Int32[]& indices) in C:\Development\C# .NET\Forza Studio\ForzaTrackSubPart.cs:line 184
at ForzaStudio.ForzaTrackSubPart.ProcessData() in C:\Development\C# .NET\Forza Studio\ForzaTrackSubPart.cs:line 85
at ForzaStudio.ForzaTrackPart..ctor(EndianStream stream) in C:\Development\C# .NET\Forza Studio\ForzaTrackObject.cs:line 109
at ForzaStudio.ForzaStudioForm.mnuOpen_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Development\C# .NET\Forza Studio\ForzaStudioForm.cs:line 127
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
Panesar
n00b

Post by Panesar »

So no one has ever had this problem before?
this is a pic of what happens, if someone is willing to give me some of the obj formats for the cars fine. I just thought its more convenient if someone could help me fix this so I could get what cars I wanted/needed.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/434/helpmeqs.jpg
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

@ Panesar,

its either your PC or the drivers/software.
Have you installed the latest XNA FrameNetwork and FrameNetwork?
You need atleast framenetwork 3.5.

And yeah, I never have this problem.
Once I downloaded ForzaStudio the first time, it works immediateley.
Panesar
n00b

Post by Panesar »

thanks for the reply,
I have installed XNA Framework 3.1 I think, and my computer already has .NET Framework 4.0, so its possibly my graphics drivers that need updating?

Updated my gfx drivers but it still doesn't work. :[
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

Panesar wrote:thanks for the reply,
I have installed XNA Framework 3.1 I think, and my computer already has .NET Framework 4.0, so its possibly my graphics drivers that need updating?

Updated my gfx drivers but it still doesn't work. :[
Updating the gfx card, hmm.
My GPU has a driver installed one year old.
Im not sure if the XNA 3.1 is the latest software.
But I think Visual Basic needs to be installed.

Whats your gfx?
Mine's a laptop equipped with nVidia 9600M GT.
Panesar
n00b

Post by Panesar »

bigBear wrote: Updating the gfx card, hmm.
My GPU has a driver installed one year old.
Im not sure if the XNA 3.1 is the latest software.
But I think Visual Basic needs to be installed.

Whats your gfx?
Mine's a laptop equipped with nVidia 9600M GT.
I have an nVidia GeForce 310, the new driver just enabled my card for the new 3D craze. I checked, im sure XNA 3.1 is the latest will check again, I'm pretty sure I don't have Visual basic, so I will give that a go.
DmitrySFisher
ultra-n00b

Post by DmitrySFisher »

hi guys! Where can I find the 3d model mitsubishi eclipse gts for forza3? Can anyone give me her? :)
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

DmitrySFisher wrote:hi guys! Where can I find the 3d model mitsubishi eclipse gts for forza3? Can anyone give me her? :)
Its forbidden to share the files.
So you have to find it yourself.
Do you have the game on DVD's?
It could be they are on DVD2.
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

bigBear wrote:
DmitrySFisher wrote:hi guys! Where can I find the 3d model mitsubishi eclipse gts for forza3? Can anyone give me her? :)
Its forbidden to share the files.
So you have to find it yourself.
Do you have the game on DVD's?
It could be they are on DVD2.
yes, you right, 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS on 2 DVD.
Thank you for all you do here
my blog | my forum
damusto
beginner

Post by damusto »

Guys I have question, I did screen shot from imported Lod 0 model for U, please look on this and try to answer my question, are those models really look this way in game too ? Its hard to believe for me.

damusto
beginner

Post by damusto »

I do have a lot experience with all kinds 3d models, and I can ensure U that better way for this game would be lighter model with normal maps that this garbage. My point is that we do have some problem with all LODs not only 0, I found this on all imported models even in lod 5, only U can see it better on lod 0.
I dont know is this Forza Studio or some 10Tacel slip, can anyone here post some game closeup screens please ?
3six0
ultra-n00b

Post by 3six0 »

Regarding distorted (bumpy) mesh issues I've done some testing and I'm 99.9% sure that there is nothing wrong with the car meshes inside the game or scale/amount of polys they've got.

I have tried importing obj that come out of forza studio inside max, maya,zmodeler and they are all screwed in the same way.

So what I've done for testing purposes was created same size mesh as the forza cars with some chamfered edges inside 3ds Max and exported as an obj with different OBJ EXPORT PRECISION which controls actual vertex cordinates precision while exporting then imported those obj back in to 3ds max.
Export precision level 3 gave me SAME DISTORTED LOOKING mesh as Forza Studio obj when I have imported them back in. Meshes exported only at level 6 or higher was coming back in like they were.

What I am saying is that actual mesh is geting mest up while beeing exported from forza studio. That hapens to any lod or any car model exported. It's harder to see it in lower poly meshes but after applying paint shader you will.

And I am praying to all posible gods that Ernegien or anybody else will look in how to increse obj export precision from forza studio
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Would you mind explaining to me exactly what that is I'm looking at above? To my knowledge, the mesh information is exported perfectly from Forza Studio. If something isn't exporting correctly, it would help to include the Forza Studio build you're using and the .carbin file you're loading, so I can reproduce your results.

When the developers of Forza export the models into the format used by the game, the vertex information undergoes a certain loss of precision. The reason they still look good ingame is because the normals are preserved with a higher precision so the game can smooth out the mesh with those. When you take one of the models exported from Forza Studio, and import it into a modeling application that recalculates these normals, it will look bad because it's using normals calculated from less precise vertex data. You need to render your models in an application that can use the pre-existing normals. I know 3ds max does, and I'm sure there are others that will give you the option...
damusto
beginner

Post by damusto »

OK I will try to explain more precisely.
What U are looking on is headlamp in side view. This one is imported directly to 3d Studio from Forza Studio using the OBJ file, however no matter how will U do it (I did this in many ways) the mesh will always look that way.
U are right about normals, it is possible to get them right and its easy with Deep Exploration, but what I can NOT agree is this whole story about the vertex information undergoes loss of precision, this is nonsense. U see I was doing models for real time renders many times, there is no point to save so huge mesh (like LOD 0) with so many verts issues only for nice normals, its a lot better save lighter model (like LOD 1) with mapped normal maps textures saved from proper LOD 0 model.
This way, no matter what, U have proper shapes and shading, reflections and everything alse U need, and of course U have light model so U can rise FPS or use more models at this same time.
NOW WHAT IM THINKING IS THAT MAYBE, BETTER WAY TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM IS TO GET VERTS INFO FROM NORMALS IF THEY ARE PERFECT IN HERE ? BUT I DONT KNOW IS IT POSSIBLE - U see Im moddeler not programmer
I hope this explanation is helpful somehow, if not I can try to develop it but I need some tips, feel free to ask I can share all my game moddeling experience

now please look at this
HP model like FM3 LOD 0 or even -1 ;-)

LP model like LOD 1

normal map texture on LP model

LP model with more textures

game ready LP model

U have abit more than 600 tris against more than 300000 in HP model
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

Zmodeler2 imports the .obj files perfectley.
Without no problems and all.
It must be these expensive and profesionall 3D apps.
I can import obj into zmodeler, export it as .3ds and all goes fine.
No bugs, no glitches.

Forza Studio is a gold program.