Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

legal and illegal

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum
Armor King
n00b

legal and illegal

Post by Armor King »

Uhhmm...isnt it illegal to steal a game file like we're doing? like getting the 3D models? or it only becomes illegal when we use it without the license of the company where the game is made for commercial products?
tkGr33N
beginner

Re: legal and illegal

Post by tkGr33N »

Armor King wrote:Uhhmm...isnt it illegal to steal a game file like we're doing? like getting the 3D models? or it only becomes illegal when we use it without the license of the company where the game is made for commercial products?
Yea, there is a limit
like my signature says don't illegally download a game if you don't own it.

You can extract the content from a game aslong as you don't give it to anyone to the public (Private is okay, i think, as long you don't tell anyone else)
firsak
advanced

Post by firsak »

I just love "Batmans" like these.
maxfire02
Banned

Post by maxfire02 »

Hi all of you!

I think that the question of legal and illegal does not arise if anyone who extracts any of the game files with the prior consent of the creator or designer of the game! :owned2:

i mean either by buying copyright or patents of the game :)

Thanks
junk angel
veteran

Post by junk angel »

It depends on the application itself. For instance reversing the code to be able to read and load the models is not illegal in any sense of way. Nor could it really be seen under virtually any legal system.

The usage of the models, textures and similar is a different matter. Likewise loading any custom changed content into the game (translated text as an example.)

A lot of that depends on your local laws. But as a load of thumb, unless you get asked by the copyright holder to stop you're in the green.
And even then you usually get two strikes in a sense.
a) A civil request
b) a cease and desist order

And if you don't act on that you can get into trouble. I know for example that bohemia interactive is very iffy about their models or any content located in their engine (even mod models ported out of the engine) and has actually sent emails to a number of people that did port them to stop.

But at the end of the day, every country has a somewhat different legal system as copyrights are concerned. In a number of them you can essentially get derivate copyright for a port - which is one of the reason some companies are very iffy about the whole deal.
darkwave1062
ultra-n00b

Post by darkwave1062 »

If I get a any sort of request to stop, then I'll will, and I certainly wouldn't use them commercially. I'm not good enough to model them myself, so this is a nice alternative.