Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Modding Results

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Re: Modding Results

Post by Darkfox »

It is made by the same people who made the CD-i Zelda games and Hotel Mario. I don't plan to put in the grammar puzzles and such and make it a flat-out FPS. The game itself is hard to come by and features some decent music and laughable voice acting and animations.

As a FPS enthusiast I cannot just pass up the chance to tinker with such a project. I have in the past recreated many things in zDoom, including maps from Shin Megami Tensei. It is... fun.

Funny enough, I.M.Meen's ingame features a darker environment than the cartoony Doom TC: Chex Quest.

I.M.Meen in gameplay had similar light as Ken's Labyrinth or Nightmare 3D, though graphically superior, but more quirky in gameplay. I consider this a challenge for me to remake a game in zDoom to be challenging and fun that was originally intended as just a kid's educational game. Comparing it graphically to other older FPSes, it does have a graphical edge even though the gameplay is a bit clunky. But this is easily fixed by using the enhanced Doom engine.

This will also be in my series of "dead" (meaning that the companies have dissolved long ago) retro FPS games that will meet a zDoom equivalent and be given the benefirs of better control and more challenge while still having nearly the same feel.

My remake projects are:

zCorridor (works nearly like the original, using GZDoom for dynamic lights and smoother graphics, added GZDoom has developmental features, it also gives a co-op and better multiplayer than the original)
zMeen (will receive the benefit of a resampled soundtrack by me and dynamic lights and some smoother animations, also will lone the grammar puzzles and focus more of gameplay, perhaps additions will be given to enhance gameplay)
zabana
beginner

Post by zabana »

Hi all!

I received an email asking me why I decided to extract models from a game and what I want to do with them. Well, easier to answer that, I´m building an Iron Man armor, most of pieces are near completion, but someones not or I want to improve them, so I decide to use as reference game models.

That´s the main reason, in the other hand I enjoy learning things, coding and a lot of ways of doing what people doesn´t use to do.

If anyone wants to check my progress check it out here:

http://www.therpf.com/f24/spanish-iron- ... rks-76175/

You´ll see how is my armor these days and see my voice recognition helmet(it will speak too soon :P)

See you everyone and thanks for reading me and helped me too!!! :roll:
dairukan
ultra-n00b

Post by dairukan »

I modified a level in New Super Mario Bros Wii to propose to my (now) wife. I needed to extract a model of Princess Peach so that I could modify it (the only one I could figure out how to insert in-game has her in a cage, which was not the message I intended to send with the proposal). Anyhow, it was lots of fun figuring out how to do it and even more fun being successful, so thanks for all the help guys!
relight
beginner

Post by relight »

Got that "provide feeback" email as well.

Very simple, I just wanted to extract some images from Mafia II demo (and eventually the game), for my own interest and perhaps the interest of a few others. I already had DDS plugin for Photoshop. Thanks to the members on this forum, I was able to decompile the .sds files and hex edit the resulting .dat files to create .dds files.

Works brilliantly, thanks to the awesome members of this forum!

http://www.bioshockarchives.com/empirebay

(If you go to my main site at the root URL, you'll notice it has tons of BioShock stuff. However, I still have a few questions about getting files from the BioShock games that I haven't been able to do yet. I might post about that elsewhere on this forum and see if anyone can help!)
Egger3rd
ultra-n00b

Post by Egger3rd »

I don't make mods, really; I make recut videos from video games. I don't like to call it YouTube Poop though, since it's a bit more complicated than crappily splicing together video downloaded from YouTube. Mods, ini tweaks and console commands help me manipulate the hud and camera for recording. I also very much appreciate this site's audio extracting resources.

Here is a small beginner's tutorial I made on the subject that took me quite a while to get half-way decent at:
Extracting Sound Files from PC Games

Here are some examples of what I do:
Sporeout 3: Part 1 (Fallout 3 / Spore Machinima)
Sporeout 3: Part 2 (Fallout 3 / Spore Machinima)
Deus Ex: The Recut
lavers
ultra-n00b

Post by lavers »

hey all, I came to this forum is a dire effort to find someone to crack an lz compression variant known as LZH8. The reason I wanted this done is for use with Wii virtual console SNES games.

See, many SNES virtual console games only ever come out in japan, especially the great RPG ones. So HCS stepped up and cracked this compression for me.

Using his tool i was able to unpack the rom file from the U8 archive & LZH8 compression, patching the rom with English fan translations then compressing the rom back up in LZH8, the virtual console game recognized the rom as 'good'. Some other simple hex editing of japan text in the emulator files was easy enough, and the end result were these prior japan only releases in full English :)

thanks go out to HCS since many many months i tried to find a taken to crack this compression and he blitzed it
practicing01
ultra-n00b

Post by practicing01 »

I got an email from [email protected] requesting that I post what I've done with the info acquired from this forum. In compliance, I ported the Vanessa Shneider & Morrigan models to Garry's Mod (found both models on the forum). I use the forum to acquire 3d models from games and port them to Garry's Mod and archive them for later use.
starkiller
ultra-n00b

Post by starkiller »

Last edited by starkiller on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typhox
ultra-n00b

Post by Typhox »

I first came here just for looking at the quickbms-things, since I wanted to "crack" and moreover repack a LZSS compressed file from Pokemon Colosseum. I needed it to convert the music files from the game into midi files so that I would be able to play the backgroundmusic on a piano.
Currently, I am hacking Godzilla Save the Earth and probably in a few month I will be completely done with it (meaning, I will be able to create own cities, monsters and user interface). Additionaly I am trying to decompile Pokemon Red. Sometimes, I am just hacking because I need to change a "setting" in a game. So I modded Age of Mythology to increase the population limit by 20.000 and Age of Empires II to increase the number of fields a player put in the loop.
seculi017
ultra-n00b

Post by seculi017 »

Got the e-mail~

I've been trying to mod Aika Online, and one of the threads here had some info on how to crack the textures and models, but I guess it was too complicated for me, since I haven't been able to figure it out. I do most of my posting on another modding forum, and no one there has managed to crack the files, either. The thread seems to be dead, and the user who said he had a file converter running (but didn't post it for download) hasn't responded to a PM I sent him. It's too bad, I like the game and am dying to make myself some custom armors, but it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.
XeroNazoBlaze
ultra-n00b

Post by XeroNazoBlaze »

Email received.

Actually I have no interest in modding, I'm just doing this for fun and because this caught my interest. Talking about success, I was able to unpack the UN2 files from Chaos Wars, a PS2 role-playing game, sadly well known for his horrible english voice dubbing.

Oh, and hai, this is my first time posting in the forum. Thanks a lot for the help and the resources. My English is not quite well yet, so I hope you can understand me.
gaolon
ultra-n00b

Post by gaolon »

the e-mail~~

hi all.

I wanna translate a game named "Magic The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers".And I find the game diectory includes some .wad files,such as Data_Core.wad ,Data_DLC_0001.wad...I THINK these files contain the texts need to be translated.

Rick gives me this: http://mod.gib.me/dotp/bin-temp2.zip
It works well at extracting and repacking .wad files.
Thx Rick.
Kiory
ultra-n00b

Post by Kiory »

I only wanted to "mod" to extract certiain models out of some games in order to learn about edge loops.

Other than that, there was no other reason.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Excellent stuff ! Thanks to you all for replying to the email, it makes the work for us so much more worthwhile to know that good came out of it (and even a marriage! Great!).
nikethebike
n00b

Post by nikethebike »

I also got the e-mail. :)

This is what I did with with some help from the information in this forum:

http://caws.ws/forum/topic/369009-smack ... -bike-ps2/