Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Gamer boy
ultra-n00b

Re: Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post by Gamer boy »

hello iam completely new here . my problem is that when i import car models from Forza Studio and import it to 3dsMax 2010 , the mesh has only one material so how to solve this problem..

sorry for my bad english...
matt55
beginner

Post by matt55 »

Well. I update forza studio to the newest version and I have problem.
Image Image
The older version didn't have this bug, whats wrong with this? I don't know.
shhI'mhuntingwabbit
n00b

Post by shhI'mhuntingwabbit »

Veegie wrote:Stop spreading misinformation and stop facilitating it.
not trying to be rude here, but maybe you should practice what you preach..

almost all of Forza's models are produced from real time digitally scanned vehicles
and a 3d program simultaneously creates the model from those scans ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNBaflQivA
Always Remember, You are Unique ..just like Everyone Else
Tosyk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by Tosyk »

shhI'mhuntingwabbit wrote:
Veegie wrote:Stop spreading misinformation and stop facilitating it.
not trying to be rude here, but maybe you should practice what you preach..

almost all of Forza's models are produced from real time digitally scanned vehicles
and a 3d program simultaneously creates the model from those scans ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlNBaflQivA
Thanks man, it's really incredible video :)
Thank you for all you do here
my blog | my forum
ajmiles
beginner

Post by ajmiles »

shhI'mhuntingwabbit wrote: almost all of Forza's models are produced from real time digitally scanned vehicles
Who/What is your source for the fact that "almost all" were scanned?
shhI'mhuntingwabbit
n00b

maybe you should provide a Who/What source for anything otherwise.. as I've already provided proof of Turn10's digital scans to create their models

or did you actually think they were going to scan/computer generate a Bugatti Veryon and not use the same on a VW Touareg or Nissan S15??? xD
ajmiles
beginner

Post by ajmiles »

shhI'mhuntingwabbit wrote:maybe you should provide a Who/What source for anything otherwise.. as I've already provided proof of Turn10's digital scans to create their models

or did you actually think they were going to scan/computer generate a Bugatti Veryon and not use the same on a VW Touareg or Nissan S15??? xD
I don't recall making any claims that required substantiating. You provided proof they digitally scanned 1 car out of a possible 400. The audio on that video clearly says they either digitally scan the car or they go and take photos of it. Taking photos of a car and then building a 3D model by hand is rather different to digitally scanning it or using CAD data.
shhI'mhuntingwabbit
n00b

yet while scanning the Veyron, you can see the flashes of a camera.. coincidence? not hardly.. to think they would scan the Veyron and nothing else,
or even scan minimal amounts of the 400+ vehicles and hand model the rest is simply ludicrous, especially considering the levels of precise detail contained within each one
(but let me attempt to dig up video clips, sound recordings and image snaps of every single scan session of every single car just for you :facepalm: xD)

and you don't recall? you just did.. staying within the context of previous statements made, you're prior question certainly implied that they hand modeled the vehicles
..otherwise you wouldn't have askd it... to assume each one, or the majority of, is hand modeled is quite naive. as these days, every single gazillion dollar corporation
that creates 3d models (film, gaming or otherwise) uses scans to do so. it's business 101 and common sense. why pay a team for one months inaccurate work per car
when you can get it done with precision in a few days or less. minimize payout for time in field AND minimize time in field = more profit

the proof is in the pudding, thinking they would only use that method on a few cars is just.. *points finger and laughs* lol
prefim
n00b

Post by prefim »

Guys,

Cool it. I don't want this thread to get bogged down again!

For the record, they aren't laser scanning anything. They are point sampling. you can see them draw tape over the car essentially mapping out the polygons and where they want the detail. The arm with the spike on it knows where it is in 3d space so they tap a button and another point is made. The majority of the polys on that car are square.

If they had laser scanned it you would get a very uneven mesh which typically would be used as a skin to remodel a clean version. This could have the kinds of smoothing errors we've seen as laser scanning isnt all that accurate. Plus, its not putting detail where you want it, its trying to put it everywhere. The car would be like 10 billion polys or something! A numpty would take that massive mesh and poly reduce it giving the uneven finish.

The fact that they are building a lot of 4 point polys and we are seeing triangular smoothing errors is as someone has already pointed out due to the software used to import the model not reading the normal map. I can confirm Lightwave 3D reads it in perfectly and I have not had a single car with any error. The simplest way I've found to cure smoothing errors is to turn DOWN the smoothing angle. Lightwave by default is 89.6 for some reason. this can round off all sorts of things you don't want like sides around a bolt head, dial edges etc. setting it to 40 degrees still allows the rounding to be smoothed but it doesnt round everything! Turning off smoothing is quite revealing, sure it looks panelled and flat but there are no triangular errors which shows its not the geometry at fault but the normal map.

so, no more lasers. pew pew pew! :)

Mat
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

YEAH ! what he said ------^ ermm, sorry..

What i actually wanted to ask was... Any news on cracking the track textures yet? Has any more progress been made on those?
I can't wait until we get proper access to them, then we will see some good tracks in other racing games :D
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
shhI'mhuntingwabbit
n00b

why does everyone duck and cover or holler stop/chill/coolit when a spirited debate occurs :/

@Mat, nobody mentioned anything about lasers pew pew pew (rofl'd @that 1 xD). scanning is the word Turn10 used to describe the process and a generalization
which point sampling would easily fall under ;) anyways.. I subscribe to the theory that the models, when created by pew pew pew's (j/k LOL), like normal 3d models,
are quite large in 3d space.. and upon completion, are then in essence miniaturized (as most game models are), by which 3d apps have a hard time interpreting
to the thousandth on something so infinitesimal. if these models were scaled up in 3d space while being read/imported/exported by FS, I'm sure interapplicatory
travel difficulties and/or chewed mesh on tiny chamfers, ect. would cease and desist ..so thpppt! :P lmao
prefim
n00b

Post by prefim »

I was commenting on what ibanezjem said. "Fancy laser and scanning program"

Unless they were scaling there numbers outside the range of numerical value (like scaling 0-255 down to 0-128) you halve your resolution but i don't see why they would do that. A golden rule of CGI is it doesnt matter what scale you work to as long as you stick to it.

If they make a car that is 1mm long, as long as they make a track of an appropriate scale it won't look or behave out of place as long as your game engine variables are sensible for that range of numbers. remember a computer doesnt really know or care what a metre is, its just a word or long word or floating point value. we decide how to represent that when me make the engine.

My request for calm was mearly to try and diffuse what seemed to be a rerun from a few pages ago where the guy ended up getting banned (twice?)

anyhow, any news on track textures? :-) pew pew pew!!
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

I haven't really been able to work on it lately so nothing has changed since the last release. As always, my work is out there for others to pick up in the case that I get too preoccupied with anything else...
shhI'mhuntingwabbit
n00b

lolwho? ..oh, someone that commented about some laser on the previous page then? O.o lol ..pew pew pew! ..that just freakn kills me xD

I wouldn't profess to know the inner workings of why most game makers scale the models and game "world" extremely small.. all I know, from personal experience, is that they do

regardless, what I've stated holds true.. if you were to import a FM3 model into Max via FS, then try to create a simple shape such as a cylinder, box, sphere, w/e, the same size as..
oh lets say a lug nut on the model, you can't. and this is because Max refuses to create anything that "microscopic" in 3d space. if you create a simple shape, it usually needs to be
about half the the size of the entire car before it will take.. only then can be scaled down to an appropriate size to match something of likeness on the vehicle model. and after that,
all the tools you use on that mesh go all koo-koo and you need to manually enter the tool modification values in hundredths to get anything resembling precision.. and don't even think
about performing a complex operation such as boolean, it refuses to take correctly. whereas on the flypside, if the scale of that simple shape (or any other mesh for that matter) is
roughly 10 fold, complex operations (such as boolean) and extreme precision on the smallest of it's areas can easily be obtained to the thousands without any adverse effects..
hence the damaged mesh on tiny chamfers/ect. they're simply too small for the 3d application to read/write correctly.
CodeWrestler
ultra-n00b

Post by CodeWrestler »

So what you are saying is that it should have been called "Micro Machines" instead of Forza Motorsports? :)

Anyway interesting discussion.

@Energien: So the track textures are in a different format than the car textures?