Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

GTA IV 3DS Max import/export script (*.wft files)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
g3org32010
n00b

GTA IV 3DS Max import/export script (*.wft files)

Post by g3org32010 »

Hello, i'd like to ask if it's possible that someone can make a GTA IV import/export script for 3ds max
i know there is one for zmodeler but many GTA modders that use 3ds max are needed to pass through zmodeler and zmodeler compared to 3ds max isn't that good, it lags more, it has alot less tools etc..
here is a gta IV car example:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/229231 ... xample.rar
thanks alot :)
Last edited by g3org32010 on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rafal345
n00b

Re: GTA IV 3DS Max import/export script

Post by rafal345 »

I don't know about plugin for 3ds max, but you can use Zmodeler2.2.1, or newer, which has .WFT plugin. For San Andreas you can also use Zmod1.
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

@ g3org32010. I don't know of any plugins to take gta4 models into a proper 3d app directly, but if oleg can work out the formats for zmodeler then im sure on of our guys can also figure it out.

Failing that, there is another easy way to do this, it does use zmodeler :) but you dont need to worry about its lack of tools n such, just use it as a converter and thats all. Load the model into zmodeler, save out as something Max can load ( possibly 3ds ) then load the 3ds into Max and do all the stuff you wanna do there like modifying the shape , then resave it as 3ds, load it into zmodeler and convert it back to gta format.
So you do all the work in max ( which has the superior tools and speed ) and just use Zmodeler to import and export the car to/from the game. I do the same with other games, ill use ZM to export it but ill do all the work in another program (mainly test drive unlimited cars)
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
g3org32010
n00b

Post by g3org32010 »

yes, i know about all the zmodeler stuff, i already converter a car to IV passing through zmodeler and there are more things to do..like pivots..dummyes materials etc..and doing that in zmod take some hours, doing that in max takes some minutes
thats why im seeking a 3ds max script
there was a guy, Kam who made a GTA San andreas script for max but he's like dead :/
ThreepH
ultra-n00b

Post by ThreepH »

Well he ain't dead, afaik he went into the army back then and simply disappeared from modding without coming back.
But yes, a 3ds max script would be hell of a benefit for everything, let alone converts, but getting scratch things ingame. But IV is a pit of undone work, tho some people are already researching formats (like collision data for buildings and else), they gave up or whatever.. for GTA SA I did lots of scratch work besides my converts, mostly map parts and textures and scripts.
Having a working max ex/importer for IV would be great, for example getting that damned Audi A8 ingame which is scratch work by danoosh (yes, I have permission :P ), pretty detailled and highpoly, and dunno for what reason does not work in ZM to be exported as proper working wft.

As a second argument, bugfixing a finished and exported car is a pain in the ass as well since there is no proper way to get a ZM'ed car back into max to benefit from the tools and intuitiv handling, so every gap to be closed, mapping, welding broken verts and all that has to be done in ZM. I appreciate Olegs work for sure, he did a pretty crazy job on programming a working 3d developing tool as a standalone guy, but - I am somehow sorry to say - it is like a stoneage tool compared to max and its abilities and its intuitive interface. So if anyone would give it a shot, gtaforums is a good place to read about latest (months old...) achievements to get game data examined, but its not much you might find there, and my last info was Oleg won't give his knowledge respective a view into the filter to anyone..

greets, Threep
g3org32010
n00b

Post by g3org32010 »

well, let's just hope he ain't dead, lol
tho, this is a must have script for 3ds max users that mod IV :/
g3org32010
n00b

Re: GTA IV 3DS Max import/export script (*.wft files)

Post by g3org32010 »

sorry for double post but: i might the the code from oleg's .wft filter, maybe that can help more
Engineer

Re: GTA IV 3DS Max import/export script (*.wft files)

Post by Engineer »

So any news on this one.I am interested.