Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
pawlo922
beginner

Re: [Xbox 360] Forza 3 Resource Extraction Tool (.carbin)

Post by pawlo922 »

bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

Kotton wrote:lol- "it's not brain surgery" means you don't have to be a flippn genius doctor brain surgeon to figure the sheet out..

but if you're too got damn lazy to google "3dsmax material tutorial" and spend 3 minutes learning how to do it, then yes, you're STUPID
of all the things to learn in Max, creating materials is by far one of the less daunting tasks- so there's no excuse for you..
but hey, you don't like Max.. so instead of learning, why don't you ask Ernegien to create other export formats just for YOU (ass)

btw, every single part of the model has the material name within the part name itself (eg; some_some_carbonfiber_some)
but if you're using that completely worthless method of double and triple I/O, I guess you wouldn't kno that would you-
and about the double maps, you did read the names of them yes? the ones that have "lod0" in the name are for the..

now you guess

and don't be coward, man up, the reason you "don't like" me is because of nfsx's useless thread where I stood up for what I believe in
(eg- showed more balls and character than you could in an entire lifetime of mediocrity) :thumbsup: and with that, I've said my peace..
don't expect a response from me to any of your irrelevant blathering or mental diarrhea after this post :)
(...) you man, cant you just talk niceley instead like that?
Calling me stupid because I dont want to work with 3DS Max is useless.
I just DONT WANT to with 3DS Max, wtf is that wrong???
I had learned how to use 3DS Max some few years ago.
It was not much of a problem but I had no time to use it.

You lack some manners eh?
Aw, how cute...

I will not gonna reply to you in the future because talking with you makes me sorry
and its tottaly worthless.
I only said I dont like and dont work with 3ds max and you freak the fuck out and attacking
with your tiny balls and fake sword...

So from now, no OFFTOPIC and crap like this.
Be ontopic or GTFO, I dont want posts like this and especially in this populair thread.
Live and let live.
For each human it has its own tastes and unlikelies.

So from now, Ontopic and no bashing each other.

@Admins/Moderator, Im very sorry for this post.
XSB
n00b

Post by XSB »

@BigBear: Kot meant that its not a big job to pull new mats around the mesh. I use ZModeler2, and I finish it in around 15-20 minutes (@Kot: material names are not in there anymore, after 3ds export, you get nam0001 and so on)

also, if I may ask, I noticed that the leather part's mapping is gone when I open them in ZMod2. Guys, anyone has leather mapping in Max/any other apps?
Kotton
Banned

Post by Kotton »

you kno I kno that sheet.. which is why I export as dff and not 3ds ;)
I'll give that to sommersgiggabe (or w/e his effn name is lol), 3ds is poo poo
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

Would it be too much/too hard work to program in the creation of a .MTL file on export of .OBJ as that would make applying materials a lot faster. The MTL file is basically just the surfaces info but stored on an external text file rather than within the object itself.

Heres an Example of a basic material file which has 3 surfaces. .MTL

This is what each line means...

newmtl Diffuse_material .... newmtl = Create new surface. Diffuse_Material = Just the name of the surface, can be anything you like
Ka 0.501961 0.501961 0.498039... Ka = Ambient . Value between 0 and 1 to represent 0-100
Kd 0 0 1 .. Kd = Diffuse . Value between 0 and 1 to represent 0-255 for the RGB values
Ks 1 1 1 .. Ks = Specular . Value between 0 and 1 to represent 0-255 for the RGB values
illum 2 .. Not sure about this. I adjusted it to 4,6 and 10 and it didn't seem to change anything in deep exploration
Ns 8 .. Ns = Glossiness . This is an odd one.. In Deep Ex, if i set a value of 20 the mat shows it as 8, if i set it as 40, the mat shows it as 32, if i set it as 50 the mat shows it as 64, and finally if i set it as 100 the mat shows it as 2048. Im sure someone knows how that value is being calculated.
map_Kd Test\\TB2.jpg = Diffuse image map location/name
map_bump = bump image map location/name
bump This is always set the same as map_bump when you use a bump map
map_opacity = Opacity map image location/name
map_d = Another opacity map image location/name. This one will override the map_opacity setting
refl = Reflection map image location/name
map_kS = Specular/highlight map image location/name
map_kA = Ambient map image location/name
map_Ns = Glossyness map image location/name

While all that is fine and dandy, it doesn't need to be anywhere near as complex for what we need. Heres another quick snippet from another .Mtl file ( taken form a model of a lego man of all things )

newmtl Red
Kd 0.65 0.10 0.10

newmtl Orange
Kd 1.00 0.50 0.20

newmtl Green
Kd 0.10 0.40 0.10

newmtl LightGreen
Kd 0.30 0.60 0.30

newmtl Blue
Kd 0.00 0.20 0.70

All that is doing is adding a surface for each part and only assigning a colour value to it. And thats pretty much all we need in the mtl file, as that will, give us the model with basic surfaces . we can then either just set a colour value or assign one of the cars images to that surface.
I'm not sure how you would make the exporter know what each surface is, maybe look for common names in the object parts such as Body or Chrome etc..? or it might be stored in the model itself ( a lot of 3d model formats do that .)
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Thanks Nobby, exporting the accompanying .mtl files is definitely on my list of things to do and I appreciate you taking the time to break down its layout for me. This thread needs more posts like this :)
Delorean
ultra-n00b

Post by Delorean »

People, I need help!
Why in 3DS Max normals is correctly

But in Zmodeler 2.2.2 normals is incorrectly

What it can be???
I'm russian, sorry for my bad english...
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

Delorean wrote:People, I need help!

What it can be???
You exported the car to .3ds?
If yes, .3ds formats are one big holy cow crap.
.3ds fks up the mesh when exporting/importing, the axis gets fk up too.
Wait for an obj importer for Zmodeler2.
pawlo922
beginner

Post by pawlo922 »

Delorean wrote:People, I need help!

What it can be???
pawlo922 wrote:
Ernegien wrote:
sommergemuese wrote:He "forget" to build in the UVs which were working perfect
My "forgetful" (aka lazy) self :P

Download Forza Studio (5.3.10)
BIG thanks, UV working perfect.

Edit:
Export for zmodeler
1. Open 3d max 2011 and import car
2. Delete texture from body.
3. Export for format opencollada (*.dae)
4. Open program 3d sim ed and import file *.dae
5. In 3d sim ed export for Rfactor (*.gmt)
6. Open zmodeler 2 and import gmt files.

The End 8D
Veegie
advanced

Post by Veegie »

bigBear wrote:[...]

So from now, Ontopic and no bashing each other.

@Admins/Moderator, Im very sorry for this post.
You can't just insult someone and then say no more allowed.
You're no better than everyone else that has polluted this topic with pointless bickering.
No one forced you to make that post.
Just stop... for the third time.
Nobby
veteran

Post by Nobby »

Ernegien wrote:Thanks Nobby, exporting the accompanying .mtl files is definitely on my list of things to do and I appreciate you taking the time to break down its layout for me. This thread needs more posts like this :)
Glad to help, the sooner mtl is included the better for me, so i had good incentive to poke around :D

Something else i noticed the other day while poking around with one of the car objects, i'm not sure if you / others are aware of it. The exported obj's are containing rather a lot of "non-planar" 2 point polygons. which will act as hard edges in the model and could ( and often do ) mess up smoothing. The image below is from one of the aston martins. imported as the original Obj, and converted to 3DS and imported ( both into lightwave 3d ) i have also tried it with another car ( shelby ) and converted the obj directly to LWO ( lightwave format ) and that also contains a ton of the same 2 point polygons..

As they are present in the obj, it would suggest something is " a bit wonky" in your exporter, or the way it reads the vertex information. Its probably just rereading a few vertex entries, but only 2 not 3 (which would make a normal triangle). Because they are only 2point polygons you cannot see them as rendered items but they are still there, acting as hard edges and having one ,say... running diagonal across a door ( which they have ) can make it think it has a sharp crease and show bad smoothing . I dunno how easy it is for you to check, but have a look see if when its reading in a model, is it looking at some vertex twice. IMO that is probably whats happening.

BTW lol sorry almost forgot to say. theres an easy way to get rid of them, load the model into your modeling app of choice, then (depends how your modeler works will depends how you do this ) but you basically want to select ALL " Non-Planar " polygons then delete them. Ive check after deleting them and no other polygons were deleted (none from the actual model) Which as the non planars were "spare" polygons ( not part of the actual model ) that would also suggest that FS is rereading some vertex data. While deleting all these polygons will help a fair amount with the smoothing it doesn't seem to fix all of it, altho id imagine a lot of that with fix itself when parts start to get merged together to form bigger parts ( such as all the parts of a door being merged/welded together to form a complete door) that often fixes a lot of edge smoothing. Also as these polygons are not part of the actual model, deleting them will not harm the UV co-ordinates at all.
Yes! i know that's what i said... But its not what i meant. ;)
Delorean
ultra-n00b

Post by Delorean »

pawlo922, I have a problem with impotring DAE file to 3DSimEd. "Error in building geometry..." :[
I'm russian, sorry for my bad english...
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

Nobby wrote:you basically want to select ALL " Non-Planar " polygons then delete them. Ive check after deleting them and no other polygons were deleted (none from the actual model) Which as the non planars were "spare" polygons ( not part of the actual model ) that would also suggest that FS is rereading some vertex data. While deleting all these polygons will help a fair amount with the smoothing it doesn't seem to fix all of it, altho id imagine a lot of that with fix itself when parts start to get merged together to form bigger parts ( such as all the parts of a door being merged/welded together to form a complete door) that often fixes a lot of edge smoothing. Also as these polygons are not part of the actual model, deleting them will not harm the UV co-ordinates at all.
Is this a possible chance why file size is also high? Cause even on the most simple LOD 1 etc the file size is pretty high, LOD1 models are close to NFS Shift car poly counts and its far too high.

Just gotta learn how to do that in 3ds max now.. :lol:
Eryk03
ultra-n00b

Post by Eryk03 »

Hi,
I imported a model car to the ZModeler way pawlo922 but ZModeler lost part of polygons.
And when I Export in 3dsimed to. gmt appears message:

what is wrong?
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

That error dialog provides a pretty detailed explanation as to what is wrong... :?