Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
nfsx
Banned

Re: [Xbox 360] Forza 3 Resource Extraction Tool (.carbin)

Post by nfsx »

LOL do you even read the message?Install the XNA Framweork...

XNA Redistibutable Game studio
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Latest version release has zip support and loads any .carbin files contained within, as well as some other minor changes and hacks...

Forza Studio (5.10.10)
Kotton
Banned

Post by Kotton »

do you read and reconstruct the polys by quad? or by tri? ..as I was wondering why the mesh has the same number of both, and why it deforms into a triangular mess when converting it to editable poly - it's frustrating that any type of editing to the mesh results in unrecoverable visible flaws (eg: converting it to editable poly, or for example, simply detaching a door from the body) - but the family and I definitely appreciate the time and effort you're continually putting into this project Ernegien, hopefully one day we'll be able to do more than just look at it :)

edit- Threep managed to get an lod0 mesh in game (he had to use mesh smooth mind you which sent the lod0 count up drastically) - but look at the adaptive damage, look familiar? o.O
-there's something seriously and fundamentally wrong with these meshes- however, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.. as I'm trying to get Roman Lut to have a look at your source
files and lend a hand with his input ;)

Image Image Image
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Kotton wrote:edit- Threep managed to get an lod0 mesh in game (he had to use mesh smooth mind you which sent the lod0 count up drastically) - but look at the adaptive damage, look familiar? o.O
-there's something seriously and fundamentally wrong with these meshes- however, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.. as I'm trying to get Roman Lut to have a look at your source
files and lend a hand with his input ;)
That would be much appreciated...a second pair of eyes is always welcome :)
Kotton
Banned

Post by Kotton »

it's no problem Ernegien, your work on this is epic, and if anyone has the knowledge and experience to help, it would definitely be him
I just sent him a Forza Studio created .obj file to assess as per his request (Mazda Furai_lod0), I figured that would be the best example
because of it's outrageous curvature - so we'll see what transpires..
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

I should mention 'Oleg' creator of Zmodeler is creating a .obj importer. :) So those who use 3dsimed and other ways to get these excellent models into zmodeler will be possible soon without 3dssimed etc.

He needs some help on it though, he wants to find out some things about the .obj format order for it to work, ive tried but I am not the best.

Edit: Seems as though the zmodeler forums are down. Strange. When they come back on ill link.
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

Hmm maybe stress with Microsoft because it's possible to Import 3D Models from Xbox 360 Shift?
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

Nah, won't be that. Least I hope not. :?

It just says:
phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database
So its either just a screw up on Zmodeler forum.
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

sommergemuese wrote:Hmm maybe stress with Microsoft because it's possible to Import 3D Models from Xbox 360 Shift?
If thats true, MS is acting like a pussy.
They own a very huge amount of money.
And Forza 3 is only for Xbox360, so they get more money from
the damned Xcrap360.

And besides, Halo is getting more exclusive for Xcrap360.
So more and more money.
Atleast they can do us a favor for these models and textures
since PC only get a shit and piss.

So we should be very glad Energien atleast try to get the models
off and we exporting them to games we have on PC.

And Toolieo, glad Im not the only one with that Critical Error.
I thought it was my internet.

And another one, Oleg didnt even succeeded to release obj filter.
So thats no reason to shut his site up.
SandroX
beginner

Post by SandroX »

I have strange problem...

Here are two gmt's file, if open them in 3dsimed, you will see such model info:

cockpit_interior01.gmt (file with default Forza 3 UV)
Total Points(Vertices) = 66754
Total Faces = 25901

cockpit_interior02.gmt (without Forza 3 UV or remapped UV)
Total Points(Vertices) = 25257
Total Faces = 25901

maybe someone knows why that happens?
Veegie
advanced

Post by Veegie »

Mesh smooth works wonders.

Apparently they got lazy on the Maserati MC12
this is from the build file

Code: Select all

<ContentFiles>
−
<ContentFile name="mas_mc12_04.max" lastbuilt="80513">
−
<DependantFiles>
<Texture texturename="glass_texture.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="bumper_frame.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="carbonfiber.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="glass_texture.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="grille1.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="grille2.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="rotor0.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="tirea0.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04\commontextures"/>
<Texture texturename="damage.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04"/>
<Texture texturename="damagelights.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04"/>
<Texture texturename="lights.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04"/>
<Texture texturename="nodamage.tga" path="\forza2\main\media\src\cars\mas_mc12_04"/>
</DependantFiles>
</ContentFile>
</ContentFiles>
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

Veegie wrote:<ContentFiles><ContentFile name="mas_mc12_04.max"
Wait? What.. :scaredy: They built the models orignally in 3dsmax? That's pretty funny actually.
-----------------

Edit: Zmodeler forum is back up, so anyone who could provide info about the .obj format to oleg, go here: http://forum.zmodeler2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=25

I believe he is trying to figure out the hierarchy relations.
Oleg wrote:It doesn't state directly in file format about hierarchy relations, but it looks like it's possible to retain this information.
-------------

Edit (again):

The new Forza 3 DLC is delicious. :D

This sucks major 'nuts' :(
bigBear
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by bigBear »

toolieo wrote:
Wait? What.. :scaredy: They built the models orignally in 3dsmax? That's pretty funny actually.
-----------------

Edit: Zmodeler forum is back up, so anyone who could provide info about the .obj format to oleg, go here: http://forum.zmodeler2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=25

I believe he is trying to figure out the hierarchy relations.
Oleg wrote:It doesn't state directly in file format about hierarchy relations, but it looks like it's possible to retain this information.
-------------

Edit (again):

The new Forza 3 DLC is delicious. :D

This sucks major 'nuts' :(
Wow, I think one of their scanner has been in pieces on the floor lol.
Veegie
advanced

Post by Veegie »

toolieo wrote:
Of course they used 3ds Max.
I pasted that snippet because the resources are directly from Forza 2.
Playah
ultra-n00b

Post by Playah »

Seeing the tremendous work achieved here on this forum, I decided to make sense of it all and try it out on a model myself. I have also tried to summarize what we’ve established in the last 29 pages of this thread. (Or rather, a collaboration of what I’ve found in this thread useful)

Unzipping the ZIP file
What you need:
  • QuickBMS, written by Luigi Auriemma (to open up the “cryptic” ZIP file, as Dan put it) | Thanks to “Ernegien”
http://aluigi.org/papers/quickbms.zip
  • The script (for the program above) used to extract the XBOX 360 archives (the program should ask you to select this file before extraction)
http://aluigi.org/papers/bms/zip.bms

Source:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4256&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

1) Open up the program, and it should automatically ask you for the script file.
2) Select that script file, and it should then ask you for the file you want to extract. In this case, select the extracted ZIP file.
3) It should then prompt you where you want to extract the files. Make a nice folder to extract everything into. You should end up with a folder consisting of bits and bobs.

I have used the Range Rover as an example, as shown above.

Extracting the Model
What you need:
Forza Studio (used to open up the model files) | Big thanks to “Ernegien” for creating the program in the first place (:
  • Forza Studio (5.2.10)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4256&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=375
  • Forza Studio (5.3.10)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4256&p=37847&hilit ... dio#p37847
  • Forza Studio (5.10.10)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4256&p=38063&hilit ... dio#p38063
  • .NET Framework 2.0 (to run the above program)
  • XNA Framework 3.1 (once again, to run Forza Studio)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Theory:
In the folder of files you have extracted from the previously forementioned ZIP file, the .carbin file(s?) contain the 3D models.

1) Install the necessary programs listed above for Forza Studio to function properly.
2) Open Forza Studio, and open up either the file name similar to the ZIP folder name (i.e. in my case lr_rangerover_08.carbin) – lr_rangerover_08_lod0.carbin is the one that only contains the exterior; if you want the interior separate from the exterior, then open that one instead and export | to get the interior, open up the _cockpit.carbin
3) It should then load up the models on the left panel, and display what the selected models on the panel on the right.

4) According to “TomWin”, source: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4256&p=37808&hilit=lod1#p37808 it seems to be better to use the lod1 model instead of the others. (lod1 to lod5 is the amount of detail you want in the model; source: viewtopic.php?p=37245#p37245 ) Untick the parts of the model that you want to export.
5) Export the bits you want by right clicking on lod1 (or the model you’ve selected to take parts off) and selecting “Selective export”. It should then spurt out an .obj file.

That’s great. Now we have the model exported. What on earth do we do with it now?

Importing the Model without all the Smoothing/Editable Poly problems
I have yet to try this yet, simply because I don’t have 3DS Max 2010.

What you need:
3DS Max 2010
OpenCollada (for 3DS Max)
http://bit.ly/9ywEMw

Source:
viewtopic.php?p=37409#p37409 | Thanks to “sommergemuese”
viewtopic.php?p=37433#p37433 | Explanation of Smoothing Problems (Thanks to “Ernegien again :D)

I’ll skip this section, simply because I’m still downloading the program trial ><

Getting the Materials off from the Models
viewtopic.php?p=37717#p37717 | Thanks to “sommergemuese”

The way I see this, you can either do it with the hex editor (which I haven’t tried yet), or use the converter for another game.
viewtopic.php?p=37722#p37722 => viewtopic.php?p=37951#p37951 | NFS Shift – XTX Texture Format (Converter) | Thanks again “sommergemuese”!

1) Download the converter (if you’re using that method), save it somewhere
2) Drag the file named nodamage_lod0.xds onto the program itself and it should export the file as a tga.
3) Resave the exported .tga file as a .png as it solves the alpha channel problem. Source: viewtopic.php?p=37735#p37735

Importing into Zmodeler
What you need:
  • 3D Max 2011
  • Zmodeler 2
Source:
viewtopic.php?p=37854#p37854 | Thanks to “pawlo922”

P.S. Model seems to still fall apart if you import into games though: viewtopic.php?p=37854#p37854 | Thanks to “toolieo”

Guess we need to wait for a direct .obj import filter then. Anything else I've missed out?

Ignore below.
Question - sommergemuese, when I try to import the .dae file into 3dSim Demo, no model shows up at all. I've followed all the import/export options in 3DS Max 2011 and it still doesn't import anything in 3dSim.

Note: I forgot to zoom in ><