Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Petition to Ubisoft to release a DRM-free version of BG&E2

The Off-Topic Forum - Anything goes! As long as it's legal(ish). Things that made you scream "Holy Cow!"
FordGT90Concept
advanced

Petition to Ubisoft to release a DRM-free version of BG&E2

Post by FordGT90Concept »

The details are at the link. Please sign if you agree and pass the word around (Twitter, Facebook, other forums, etc.). It is going to be very hard to 1,000,000 signatures on this petition before the game releases this year:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/bgae2drm

Info about Beyond Good & Evil 2:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_&_Evil_2
huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Re: Petition to Ubisoft to release a DRM-free version of BG&E2

Post by huckleberrypie »

This explains why I absolutely hate DRM. What started as a way to curb piracy has degenerated into a tool of greed and selfishness. I mean look at YouTube and all them media cartels cracking down on parodists using copyrighted material, i.e. subtitle comedies of "Der Untergang" and literal music videos - I bet most of the takedowns were out of greed.
FordGT90Concept
advanced

I don't think I'm going to get 1 million signatures by the end of the year. :(
brienj
VIP member
VIP member

Post by brienj »

A better alternative to a petition is to tell everyone NOT to buy the shit. Then when they don't get any sales, they'll change their tune. Unfortunately, there are way too many retarded people that will buy the game anyway. I personally would NEVER buy a DRM game. They can kiss my ass on that one. :D
huckleberrypie
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by huckleberrypie »

brienj wrote:A better alternative to a petition is to tell everyone NOT to buy the shit. Then when they don't get any sales, they'll change their tune. Unfortunately, there are way too many retarded people that will buy the game anyway. I personally would NEVER buy a DRM game. They can kiss my ass on that one. :D
A boycott is much better.
FordGT90Concept
advanced

But that's the pickle. If we boycott them, they'll just abandon Windows/Mac development altogether and only develop for consoles. They need to prove to themselves (and they'll do so reluctantly) that DRM is losing sales and in turn, losing money. If they can double their profits by abandoning DRM, that speaks greater volumes than a boycott would. The problem is, they wouldn't do this just because they're the nice sort (LOL). They need to be confident that such a maneuver isn't going to make investors furious. A petition a million strong just might be enough to make them at least consider it.

I am boycotting them currently. I so want to buy Assassin's Creed II but I just can't knowing it has draconian DRM on it that requires a constant connection (that I don't have). But I also see that this trend of PC getting less and less support by the big publishers (all they care to do anymore is port their big console titles which are riddled with bugs--some have almost completely abandoned PC like Microsoft and the Fable series) can't continue forever. Its lose-lose, unless this petition works (and it has no chance until it at least reaches 6 digits). :(