Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Dan Frederiksen
beginner

Re: [Xbox 360] Forza 3 Resource Extraction Tool (.carbin)

Post by Dan Frederiksen »

Ernegien, let's not pretend what we are doing doesn't violate what the stiff suits want. extracting the models is ripping and playing with the models is not the same as pirating the game.
let's not be hypocrites.
Slyde
ultra-n00b

Post by Slyde »

ok, sorry! :erm:
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Dan Frederiksen wrote:Ernegien, let's not pretend what we are doing doesn't violate what the stiff suits want. extracting the models is ripping and playing with the models is not the same as pirating the game.
let's not be hypocrites.
I'm not being hypocritical, but merely stating that I would prefer this topic not be cluttered up by useless requests. It add's nothing valuable to the discussion...
Dan Frederiksen
beginner

Ernegien, there are several useless posts here but you reacted to the one that made you a hypocrite. he would like to play with the models just as you do. you were probably just afraid of how other hypocrites would react.. :)

btw come to think of it, my guess is you can find a torrent of the game and extract the car files from that. probably the easiest while not making this into a warez thread :)
Diatribal
n00b

Post by Diatribal »

Dan Frederiksen wrote:Ernegien, there are several useless posts here but you reacted to the one that made you a hypocrite. he would like to play with the models just as you do. you were probably just afraid of how other hypocrites would react.. :)

btw come to think of it, my guess is you can find a torrent of the game and extract the car files from that. probably the easiest while not making this into a warez thread :)
I've got to admit Dan, I think that's very cool of you to be so helpful to noobs (such as myself) but maybe a little too helpful my friend :wink: It's not the best idea to condone downloading a pirate copy of a game in order to play with it's internals. At least not publically anyway. I appreciate your help, but I don't think even at my noob state that such a recommendation is such a good idea. I was wondering myself (as an owner of the original game disc with a backup on the xbox's HDD) if the Datel Xport would be a useful tool to help me find the .carbin files? Otherwise I can't work out how you obtain these files? :?

GREAT thread though! I am sooo impressed with what you guys have achieved! ;)
TomWin
veteran

Post by TomWin »

@ sommergemuese: yay great work, thanks for update script.
I wish to help with that UVs and textures, but all I know (or better say knew years ago) is Turbo Pascal:(

@ Ernegien: thanks for your great work, to make possible extract models for F3. I dont think we should care kids like Slyde who come with requests only. things like this happens everywhere and Im bored of that.

I was thinking about this bumpy mesh problem. maybe it's because x360 is 128bit, not like PC that is 32/64 bit, so precision problem appears. Other thing could be that maybe models are made in quads or nurbs in game hmm. just my theory

@ Slyde: go and buy that game
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

Ok, you should hopefully have uv information as well as section and piece export back. Let me know if there are any issues. i will continue to look into the export details more.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jog1vs
Veegie
advanced

Post by Veegie »

Diatribal wrote:
Dan Frederiksen wrote:Ernegien, there are several useless posts here but you reacted to the one that made you a hypocrite. he would like to play with the models just as you do. you were probably just afraid of how other hypocrites would react.. :)

I've got to admit Dan, I think that's very cool of you to be so helpful to noobs (such as myself) but maybe a little too helpful my friend
Reverse engineering and condoning piracy are not the same thing, Dan.
Now please, stop making sensless posts.
Ernegien has clearly refuted every possible aspect of the argument against precision issues.
It is a normal issue most likely based off of the recalculation needed by modeling applications that can only be done on existing geometry, which in this case is not the source-quad form, but rather tristrips.
The way forward at this point is the .3ds format.
Once that is tried and tested, we will look at other options should they be needed.
But currently that is the direction Forza Studio will be taking.

revelation: Thanks for all of your help.
Dan Frederiksen
beginner

veegie, of course you know that typical 3d editors have no vertex normals right..
I think I understand the situation just a bit better than you do.

forget about smoothing, normals and geometry precision for now. just extract the geometry as is and get the materials and UV mapping right. then we can perhaps later look at making the geometry even better than it is in the game.
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

Yeah you rule!!
minime891
advanced

Post by minime891 »

Nice update now me can use rims, thanks here is a pic of the BBS RS GT rims converted to TDU.
Veegie
advanced

Post by Veegie »

revelation: Do you have any experience with the .3ds format and/or exporting to it?
Dan Frederiksen
beginner

I have experience with the .3ds format. it's limited to 65536 vertices and faces per element. might not work for these models.
unless you mean .max?
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

i have used it in the past, but it has been a while. i can work on refreshing my memory if need be though, heh. i am also looking into disassembling the game's shader code, as this should give me a bit more information on how some of the other parameters in the vertex structure are used, as well as verify whether the scaling is the only modification necessary for the position information. i can be somewhat certain already by the fact the shader variable is called 'scaledPosition', and 'radius' being used in a couple places in the executable code (and the fact there is visible output, heh) that if anything things are initially correct in their interpretation. Still seeing if it can be determined what other values in the files are used in correlation with the current data.
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

If someone is interested...

3D SimEd is fully working without any Smoothing Problems if you Export from Max with Open Collada :) This means we can get the models in other Games :)

( http://www.opencollada.net )

Not Autodesk FBX Collada!!!!