Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

FF 13 3D models ripping possible ...

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: FF 13 3D models ripping possible ...

Post by revelation »

Apologies for there not being any format information publicly available. i had meant to have some things ready for release for a while now, on this and a number of other formats i have worked on, but i haven't gotten around to finishing the code base i planned on structuring everything around. i have been wanting to get my skeletal animation, texture management, and format conversion framework going for a while now, but haven't been as productive as i would have liked lately.

Here is information on the ENVD section:

Code: Select all

struct ENVD_INFO
{
	SetBackColor(cLtGreen);
	uint16 nameOffset <format = hex>;
	struct
	{
		uint16 vertexCount;
		uint16 indicesOffset <format = hex>;
		uint16 weightsOffset <format = hex>;
	} dataInfo[2]; // not sure why this information repeats

SetBackColor(cLtBlue);
	FSeek(startof(this) + nameOffset);
	string jointName;

SetBackColor(cLtGreen);
	FSeek(startof(this) + dataInfo[0].indicesOffset);
	uint16 vertexIndices[dataInfo[0].vertexCount];

SetBackColor(cLtYellow);
	FSeek(startof(this) + dataInfo[0].weightsOffset);
	uint8  vertexWeights[dataInfo[0].vertexCount];
};

struct MESH_ENVD
{
	// 0x00
	struct CHILD_HEADER header;

// 0x10
	struct ENVD_INFO envdInfo;
};
Currently a lot of the things i have worked on are still in binary template format for 010 Editor, with a few things hacked together for obj conversion to test in some cases. i plan on creating a more general model viewing application with animation support and a few other things soon hopefully. Need to build up a good library of code for handling some of the texture and conversion related tasks, as i haven't written anything up yet for handling a decent interchange format like collada for instance..

EDIT:
Ah, you posted while i was typing, heh.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Oh, does ENVD repeat all the vertex weights with absolute-indexing? That sure seems arbitrary, although there are a lot of questionable storage types and decisions made in this format. :)

Edit: Oh, I looked at the actual block, I guess you meant the bone references the verts which are weighted to it, so...I guess there's nothing that would make it unnecessary to look the bone up by string, still. I'm also not sure what that data would be used for at runtime. I can't think of any per-vert-that-references-bone calculations that wouldn't be better off either precalculated or done in a fundamentally different way (like transforming base pose bounds by bonemat*invBaseMat).
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

Being able to skin things on the cpu is helpful in a lot of case where you need the actual mesh to reflect the skinned position, as it cannot be read back from the gpu with normal hardware skinning (exact ray-mesh intersection/collisions for instance). Also as has been noted, this may also be left over from ps3(or other) data where the skinning could be done on the spus instead of the gpu. Not sure if this is how they intended it though.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Sure, but you don't need to know which bones reference which verts to do that. :) Pre-multiplying bone matrices should give roughly equivalent performance to skinning verts with bone reference indices, after all, and it doesn't need all that extra data. But I suppose that is likely what they had in mind.
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

True. Don't know why they store it again in this case, though i have seen other formats store them with the bones in addition to or instead of the vertex data. i guess if anything it saves having to parse the data back out of the vertex information, heh. More than likely a data separation decision as normally outside of rendering purpose data would not be packed as it is with the vertex declaration data, each component being stored separately, thus skinning information would not be directly related to the data for rendering without the necessary skeleton information.
darksword
ultra-n00b

HI-RES lighting

Post by darksword »

hi im new in this forum. i was woundering if you can upload a obj file of lighting or at least some wire renders of the face. It will be very helpful since i was modeling in 3d's max a hi res version of lighting but i haven't found any good references yet.
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

Highly doubtful that you'll get a model... you might get some renders if someone is nice enough...

BTW, Hey, MrAdults, long time no see... not that you'd remember me. Satoh/X-dina from Qhimm...

Nice work on the format so far, you're doing hella better than my investigation into CCS format...

As soon as I get my hands on the debugeries of the PS3 systematron I'm gonna be looking into this myself probably. Though I need a PS3 in the first place I suppose (I have the game already... sucks I can't play it)

Getting back to the 3DS Max stuff, you'd be better off in your modeling practices if you used still frames to work from, that way you learn more than you would if you were looking at a wireframe or just stealing the actual face...

Anyway, good luck with the format.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Oh, X-Dina, I remember you! :) Nice to see you around.

I've actually been doing all my work on the 360 assets - you can do your own rip pretty trivially on a 360 image, and from there you can get all the data out of x360.bin files with...probably either a direct or slightly-modified version of aluigi's FF13 ps3.bin BMS script (on his site). I don't think the x360.bin's even had any big-endian structures in them, although I can't remember too well anymore. I've already moved onto my next reverse-engineering project which tends to flush all the details of the last one right out. :)

I suspect my code will work perfectly with the PS3 version assets if you just take out the endian swaps, but I haven't tested it out. Let me know if you get around to it some day.
epopoe
advanced

Post by epopoe »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
kekko
beginner

Post by kekko »

well, you should redirect output to a file:

Code: Select all

programname.exe filename.trb > mesh.obj
the program does not consider imgb files, thus no textures sorry. I made a separate tool for the textures, starting from the code MrAdults kindly shared some post ago.
epopoe
advanced

Post by epopoe »

Oh thank you, kekko

At last I succeeded.

You Great kekko. lol ////
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

thanks kekko your converter works great ^.^

@ultimaespio
its 64bit i believe, just recompile the source for your windows
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
ultimaespio
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by ultimaespio »

Mario_Kart wrote:thanks kekko your converter works great ^.^

@ultimaespio
its 64bit i believe, just recompile the source for your windows
You again? We always seem to be on the sam forums :P

Anyway, i just tried it on my 64bit computer, i got an error about sxtrace. I'll just try compiling it myself. I've got Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 if thats any good for compiling this?
Satoh
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Satoh »

It should be just fine so long as there's no proprietary files that the original coder used... and even then, it's as simple as getting them and adding them to the project...

Visual studio is nothing more than a pen with which to write... it may be a different color than some other pen like bloodshed dev, or what have you, but the words you write with it are the same words...

IE: all it needs to do is compile the program. effectively most compilers compile the same way... at least as far as I've ever heard.

EDIT: and you're all saying that I need the 360 version of the game to get the models et al?

If that's the case I'm a bit disappointed now... (Has just bought a PS3 for my home theatre...)((Loathes xbox with a passion as well))