Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Forza Motorsport Resource Extraction (.carbin)

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
TomWin
veteran

Re: [Xbox 360] Forza 3 Resource Extraction Tool (.carbin)

Post by TomWin »

yes for me too the same.
Deep Exploration import bad, I cant see model, I tried in DE4, DE5.5 and DE6 (this one crash) too.
The same in 3dsmax and Lightwave, the mesh is very broken (doest look like car anymore lol), which looks like on the pic i posted in previous post
the only way to import it is use Blender but then model looks like on toolieo pics with Original Smoothing, which cant be fixed anymore in DE :(
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

TomWin wrote:the only way to import it is use Blender but then model looks like on toolieo pics with Original Smoothing,
Yeah, saving .3ds in deep exploration to get zmodeler to open it has the orignal smoothing. I changed some settings etc in deep exploration but always orignal smoothing. :scaredy:
TomWin
veteran

Post by TomWin »

toolieo wrote:
TomWin wrote:the only way to import it is use Blender but then model looks like on toolieo pics with Original Smoothing,
Yeah, saving .3ds in DE to get zmodeler to open it has the orignal smoothing. I changed some settings etc in DE but always orignal smoothing. :scaredy:
ofcourse. the problem is not smooth angle but I think bumpy mesh, I blame for that obj codding I think. Just see how model looks in flatshades.

maybe direct .3ds exporter would be better than .obj
ALYX
advanced

Post by ALYX »

maybe direct .3ds exporter would be better than .obj
This one would be better anyway. Import to 3ds max from start.
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

Not really 3ds makes only more problems.

I would suggest (Open) Collada one of the best formats
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

What about just select what you want to export? (obj, 3ds etc) :lol:

Would be way too much work I would assume, all comes down too what Ernegien wants to do with formats.
Rick

Post by Rick »

This is unrelated to Forza 3 -- but to the developer of the Forza Moto Ripper / Forza Studio. I used your code as a stepping stone into understanding how to easily render mesh content through XNA (for making a Just Cause 2 model viewer).

One of the things that irked me was how the camera handled, I basically ripped it out and replaced it with the XNA Camera from here, which is much better (in my opinion).

I did hack it up a bunch to make it work nicely in a WinForms form though. My code is available on my SVN repository.
https://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.
Ernegien
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Ernegien »

Glad my code was able to help :) XNA was really a learning experience for me as well getting it to work on win forms. I found out the hard way that the keyboard and mouse classes need to be running on the same thread as the application, and the BasicEffect class was giving me problems with rendering colored primitives without normal values and found out that you need to disable lighting beforehand. Other than that it's pretty easy to use...

Also, have you downloaded one of the few most recent sources and taken a look at the newer camera? The really old camera wasn't functioning very well due to it operating on a different axis. I rotated the model correctly and it functions much better now. I'll still have a look at the one in your link and see if I prefer it over the one I wrote. It would actually be nice to have an option to select which kind of perspective to use :)
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

Wow I tested (only compiled = lazy :D) the XNA Camera really cool stuff :)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Ernegien wrote:Also, have you downloaded one of the few most recent sources and taken a look at the newer camera? The really old camera wasn't functioning very well due to it operating on a different axis. I rotated the model correctly and it functions much better now.
It's possible I missed your newer Forza Studio releases, but if I did it still helped. :) (In the process of rewriting everything to use SlimDX instead, lack of D3D10 means no game shader support... :().
https://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

Got a message from a friend on msn, who has been looking at these models and this is his opinion about the smoothing errors etc.
i've noticed the normals problem is caused on the area where poly are dence like in the places with chamfer
and close distances between poly and they are somehow weld automatically and that's what cause the bumps on the model
Trying to help out. :wink:
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

Well ...

Did he posted how to fix this?
toolieo
veteran

Post by toolieo »

sommergemuese wrote:Well ...

Did he posted how to fix this?
Apparently the Forza tool some coding correction? to disable auto welding within the .obj Or something rather. Cause some reason within the .obj polys that are close they get auto welded, result is dark areas etc. If it was disabled somehow then, I believe it would maybe fix it.

I'll try my best to see if he could sign up here and explain. :)
Simon
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Simon »

I'm not 100% Sure but I don't have any (wrong) welded vertices?!

Maya:

Forza Studio:
TomWin
veteran

Post by TomWin »

no, i don't agree at all that this is weld vertex problem.
it seems like points arent imported correct, i can see clear that they are offset, I might blame for that obj coding or so.
please look at these pics so u will understand the problem
ImageImage

lets compare this to other model, that is correct. i took db9 from J2
maybe is not that high poly, but u can see how should look flatshade view of correct mesh. not dark-light places
ImageImage
Last edited by TomWin on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.