Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

painkiller .pak files

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
fleabay
n00b

New pak files?

Post by fleabay »

How much trouble would it be to add the functionality to create a new pak file from a directory structure? Or at least insert new files?

If that is asking to much, would it be possible to easily change the filenames?

Thanks
mambox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by mambox »

Great!!

i didn't even expected to have a replace features!

thanks again! :up:
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Re: New pak files?

Post by Mr.Mouse »

fleabay wrote:How much trouble would it be to add the functionality to create a new pak file from a directory structure? Or at least insert new files?

If that is asking to much, would it be possible to easily change the filenames?

Thanks
I'll see that I can do. I had already planned a "Create From Directory" option in the painkiller.dll file, for MultiEx Commander purposes, so it won't be a problem to implement it in Painfull. Changing filenames is also not a problem, but I wonder what the game will say if you do that. If some script expect some file with some name, you better make sure you change that script accordingly. :wink:

Meanwhile, I show some minor modding in MexModCentral ;)
viewtopic.php?p=3686#3686
fleabay
n00b

Post by fleabay »

Right now I can exchange the .scc file with one of my choice. Its not needed for the scripts. I can't change the name of it though.

If you have ways to put in new files or create a new pak from scratch, its not needed.

Thanks for the program, looking good so far.

I also liked the screenshot of the XeNTaX name in the sky in the other thread.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ok, I'm working on these features you asked for.

I can't tell you when I will be done with them, as my daily job takes a lot of time, and in the evening I'm working on a new article as freelancer for the Dutch hard-copy game magazine PCZone.

It will be completed however. :wink:
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Update : I have quickly implemented a function that will change the name of the resource in that which is used to replace a file. This will however be the full path (e.g. "c:\models\mymodel.mdl" ) to the file that you use to replace. It depends on what you would like. I could change it so it would be "models\mymodels.mdl" and ommit the "c:\".
:?:

Post by Guest »

All the paths are derived from the scripts. No path is needed or desired :)

for instance, if i wanted to change the filename in the pak file - Loader.lua to myloader.lua

It should be all relative to the root of the pak file.

I'm not really sure what your doing here. Has the program file been updated with these changes? If so, I'll check it out.

The path to the pak files are ../Data/
thats the absolute path from the painkiller.exe to the pak files and is used alot in the scripts. But again, your program shouldn't need to know this.

What is needed is to update the filename as well as the contents when a file is dropped from the left window.

Sorry if this was long. I thought it better to be to much info than not enough. Don't put to much into this quick fix on my behalf. I can issue my next update the same way i've been doing.
fleabay
n00b

Post by fleabay »

Opps, sorry. That was my post. :D
mcloud355
ultra-n00b

Post by mcloud355 »

having problems with painfull v1.1

it extracts ok but when i try to replace a file into the .pak it says 'import failed'

i am selecting the new file in the left side box (game.lau) and selecting the file to be overwritten (main/game.lau) within the pak contents list on the right, then click on the >> icon and i get 'import failed!'

any ideas what im doing wrong?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Did you install MultiEx Commander first?

It may be a problem with zlib.dll, it will be installed with MultiEx Commander. :?:
mcloud355
ultra-n00b

Post by mcloud355 »

multiex commander v3.9.701 is installed, zlib.dll is in the windows/system32 directory

i tried running the painfull.exe within the multiex directory but same problem, 'import failed'

wondering if its my directory structure, i have the new game.lua file from Dreamcatcher\LScripts\Main directory highlighted in the left side box and the 'main\game.lua' highlighted in the right side box
sh1ny
ultra-n00b

Post by sh1ny »

hmm i got an error while trying to extract files from a pak.

Run Time Error '9'
Subscript out of range.
I am using retail PK patched to 1.15
mcloud355
ultra-n00b

Post by mcloud355 »

im running painkiller v1.0, no problems with unpaking :(
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ah problems arise now. I wonder how much of you have problems extracting, importing. A lot don't have problems, I know.

I will see what I can do to help fix it on theose computers that won't run it.
BarfHappy
ultra-n00b

Post by BarfHappy »

No problem for me, thanks for the fantastic help you gave me with that, spared me some programming :)

i couldn t have done that without you:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.