Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Unity3D assets archive ".assets" (Paying!)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
djoscar
beginner

Unity3D assets archive ".assets" (Paying!)

Post by djoscar »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Last edited by djoscar on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Re: Unity3D assets archive ".assets" (Paying!)

Post by Rick »

Looks like serialized object data to me, not simply an archive format.
https://blog.gib.me/

Don't ask me about localization tools; if you don't have the resources to develop them yourself you don't need them.
djoscar
beginner

Post by djoscar »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Faqew
advanced

Post by Faqew »

Have a look at that thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4163
Should work.:)
djoscar
beginner

Post by djoscar »

Faqew wrote:Have a look at that thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4163
Oh thanks. It does work but the problem is that it only extracts .ogg and .wav files.
Would anyone be kind enough to modify those scripts or something so it would extract other files such as .cs, .js, .shader, .fbx, .tga etc.?

I'd do it myself but I don't understand :(

Thanks
djoscar
beginner

Post by djoscar »

bumps :keke:
(Sorry if not allowed)
SirLoon
advanced

Post by SirLoon »

djoscar wrote:
Faqew wrote:Have a look at that thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4163
Oh thanks. It does work but the problem is that it only extracts .ogg and .wav files.
Would anyone be kind enough to modify those scripts or something so it would extract other files such as .cs, .js, .shader, .fbx, .tga etc.?

I'd do it myself but I don't understand :(

Thanks
Scripts are semi-compiled and obfuscated. No use for you
djoscar
beginner

Post by djoscar »

Ehnonimus
ultra-n00b

Post by Ehnonimus »

I'm also interested in ripping files from unity3d files, specifically the 3ds files and skins for use in machinima and modding. I don't care about the scripts or coding and I've scoured the net for tutorials or help but there really isn't much on the subject. I'm guessing this is probably because the unity engine is still relatively new. If anyone can direct me to a tutorial or help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
Tabris
n00b

Post by Tabris »

Hi guys,

does anyone know how to extract 3d models and textures from these *.assets files ?
i've searched everywhere but still not able to find something to extract these unity's package files.

Some help would be appreciate :p

Thanks by advance ;)
Ares722
veteran

Post by Ares722 »

Actually u can ripp 3dmodels and textures from unity3dgames using 3dvia printscreen.
Unfortunately the models are not t-posed. ( I tried with the unity game demos present in the Unity3d site).
Tabris
n00b

Post by Tabris »

The problem actually is that "Crasher" is not playable anymore since they shutdown their servers :(

I can only install the game, but not launch it.
Tabris
n00b

Post by Tabris »

Any help... :'(

Here is the data file
: http://dl.free.fr/j017qv4Nk
cakelover
ultra-n00b

Post by cakelover »

Hi all, 1st post here. Was wondering if there's been any more progress on Unity3D?

I've been working on the SWTOR beta files on another forum, but with the lull between builds it's been slow. However, Bioware just added a 3D Galaxy Map to their website which uses Unity and this has piqued my interest again. I was kind of curious if they created new models/textures just for this app or if they used assets from the actual game. If it's the latter I was hoping to see if it could be turned into a temporary model viewer for the main games assets.

So far I've extracted the .unity3d file, and after renaming the 2 .assets file to .asset I can import them back into Unity Editor, but when doing so the file hierarchy is lost and nothing is linked properly. I've never used Unity Editor before so I'm probably doing something wrong though. I was hoping it would be possible to import the .unity3d file as a whole back into Unity, but that doesn't look possible. Is it possible to rebuild the project folder in some way?

Also has anyone had any success extracting from the .asset files? I've read that your MultiEx Commander can do it but I wasn't sure, and it requires a donation so I haven't tried it (yet).

Thanks!
aluigi
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by aluigi »

the following is the (updated) situation I have seen about the unity3d assets archives:

they can contain various types of data (objects) but they are NOT files like we have in zip archives or other game archives.
each entry is composed by a sequence of information that are specified in each assets archive, so if there is a texture we will have a part at the end of the archive which tells us that in the entry are stored the texture name as string, the width and height as int, bpp as int, the raw content of the texture as uint8 and so on.

unfortunately this format is a bit chaotic (various technical reasons boring to explain) and changes from version to version so the archive of version 6 is very different than the one of version 2.

you can use a great debugging tool called binary2text.exe available in the Unity3d SDK that shows you exactly what I mean.
so you will see that things like the unity scripts are not a simple text file but a sequence of textual fields and so on.
only some types of files like the oggs (and maybe wav) are stored as is and so they can get with any ripping tool.

then binary2text.exe doesn't seem to work with all the assets files for some unknown reason.

hope it helps and gives you an idea of what I mean.
in short: these archives are not archives like we think about (collection of files), indeed they are considered a collection of serialized objects.