Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ninja Gaiden 2 x360

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
onionhead
beginner

Re: Ninja Gaiden 2 x360

Post by onionhead »

sorry for being a noob. i own Ninja gaiden sigma 2, but how do i get the files.

edit: sry let me reword this, is there anywhere that host these files or should i say will anybody upload these files.
Last edited by onionhead on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

the only way to get the files is to use a debug ps3
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

You would think people would have read the comments by now...
Its mentioned several times in this topic alone, and within others, AND in its OWN topic somewhere.
Modman69
veteran

Post by Modman69 »

Surveyor wrote:Hi there,
Well I spent nights and nights trying to figure out the skinning for Doax2/Ng2 only to find out that these models are far complicated, they make use of morphing extensively and bones are nowhere to be found.
I did somehow manage to fix the models matrices so now the different body parts are there where they are supposed to be, or at least, because in doax2 character models, the body isn't fully reconstructed, but for the rest of the data (heads, swimsuits, eyes, ...) things work well.
The pic below shows one of the very few models that I succeeded to rig, and given the difficulty to set the skinning, I imagine the animations are a lot harder.
All in all, I think I'll give up on this model format and move on to somthing else. I'll upload the new converter once I finalize it.
Hi Surveyor,

First off I'd like to say thanks for the great tools,

I don't know if this will be of any help or if you're even still interested in these models anymore but I started playing with the DOAX2 models in 3ds max 2009 and I attached the parts that were out of place. here is the world coordinates (the green indicates the ones I snapped aligned). I also assembled the alternate feet in standing position.

I'm posting this in case it would be possible to implement the coordinates into the model import itself without having to do it manually.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modman69
veteran

Post by Modman69 »

Surveyor wrote:For the xbox 360 converter, things stay the same, except that now (as mentioned earlier) models are correctly assembled, but the main flaw here is that models aren't smooth shaded at all!!
After a little more fiddling with these models I found that by simply exporting the .obj and re-importing it, the smooth shading is back.

I did an STL check on the model and it appears on first import all the faces are separate with open edges, which I guess also makes for a much bigger file size.

I'm working on a maxscript that will export/re-import and postion all the pieces.
there is probably a better solution but I'm no expert.
Modman69
veteran

Post by Modman69 »

Here is a very simple maxscript that I'm working on that will take DOAX2 vay01 body, place her feet exactly on the grid and assemble the rest.

I'm very new to maxscript so if someone out there can make this script better please feel free to do so and re-post it with credit in the script to yourself , also I think this will only work in 3ds max 2009 but I'm not sure.

If this is useful to anyone and would like me to continue posting updated scripts [ex. adding head and other models] then please post some comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annoying Worlock
ultra-n00b

Post by Annoying Worlock »

Thanks for attaching the files. I am also searching for this files. I can play now my Ninja Gaiden 2 x 360.
Andersen
ultra-n00b

Post by Andersen »

Hey,
Would anyone know or can figure out, how to get the ng2 stuff out from the dlc packs?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q18p88

There's some pretty cool models in the DLC's so it would be a shame for them not to see the light of day:)
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

I decided to attack this format a few days ago, and sent Surveyor a message asking if he could provide any framework code/specs, but it looks like he still hasn't been on to check his messages...and in the mean time I guess I've busted the format open pretty well already. :)

Good news is, I figured out how the normals are packed! Here you can see one of the bodies being shaded properly with its original normals.

I also got all the texture stuff sorted out, and object hierarchy data works correctly 100% of the time.

I still haven't looked into finding/using weighting data, but I'm guessing it's in there (even though vertex morphs appear to be used for The Jiggle and more elaborate hand movements and such). I definitely saw morph frames for the breasts and I think there are some for the hands too. Once I have taken a look at weights and figured out whether they'll be easy to get at, I'll post some source so Surveyor can update his tools (or I guess I might release a tool if Surveyor has already moved on and doesn't want to address the normals/skinning issues).

Oh yeah, I don't have any NG2 assets sitting around to test those too (even though I own NG2 for x360, I don't have the image in conveniently extractable form). I'll check that out later once I can get a hold of some.
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

Hello MrAdults,
Good to see you here as well, heh. i had been looking into things in this area to help Surveyor out, and unfortunately i got busy and had not had the time to finish verifying everything.

Glad to see you had more time to get things going than i did.

From what you have stated so far i am assuming you are not using the 360 format vertex declaration information found in the GeoDecl section of the ObjGeo data in the files. Of course this assumes the Ninja Gaiden 2 data is similar to what you have parsed so far, as i do not currently have access to DOA data.

The vertex declarations list the offsets, data types, and usage as normally done with direct3d, but the format is slightly different on the 360.

Unfortunately my template is not far enough along to give you a good structuring of the data, i will see what i can do about that to help you out. Let me know if there is anything in particular i can provide in the meantime (if i know it, or can investigate it further..). i'll see what other information i can dig up for you from what notes i have.

The index data is still usually still UBYTE4, but the weight data is usually FLOAT16_4 (as in 4 half floats), and un fortunately they are not always packed back to back, so it is possible to mistake them for texture coordinates if not careful. But they usually appear as the last data in the vertex specification, but as mentioned it would be safer to parse the vertex declarations for accurate offsets, types, usage, etc.

i really need to get an app up and running to visualize mesh, texture, and animation data better as with your apps. Would really help to allow me to get more of these formats off my plate and finalized as much as possible.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Oh, no, I am using the element declaration structures and using them to reliably find position/uv/normal. I dunno what gave you the impression I wasn't, though. :) Unless I'm missing something. Everything that's been rendered/handled presently should be as "by the book" as possible, but I'll only know for sure if it's bullet-proof once I get my hands on some NG2 data. But, at least, all the girls, stages, and costumes seem to appear correct right out of the box.
Edit: Oh, right, since I said I hadn't found the weighting data, you probably assumed I wasn't using the decl info. I'd figured it was somewhere in the other components that I hadn't mapped out yet, but hadn't actually figured out which one yet. (and still haven't, but I suppose it's just a matter of actually looking at the data, once I get around to it)

I have proper handling for all of the morph targets as well, although I'm not sure they do anyone much good, except for making things like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgkKprVyQl8
:)
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

Heh, ok, cool. i stand corrected. i meant to phrase that sentence as a question anyway; my lack of typing skills at work.

Dang, i feel like i am moving so slow lately.

Glad to see the progress.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Haha, yeah, this stuff is time-consuming. I've just been on a self-imposed "vacation" for the past week, which involves nothing but a rotation of hanging around outside by the pool, watching television shows I'm weeks behind on, and tearing games apart. If only life could be so sweet forever... :) I've gotta get back to work next week, but maybe I can nail a couple more games before it's back to slaving in the corporate abyss.
MrAdults

Post by MrAdults »

Well, I extracted my NG2 image, and all those models work just the same as the DOA ones:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7870/ng2pix.jpg

Lots of elaborate stage models in that one. :) I took a like at those .ng2 files too, Surveyor, but I also saw no file index. I looked around at the other file types in the image too for some kind of index list but couldn't find one. I guess it's probable that the lists are hardcoded in the binary...or something encrypted or compressed with a weird compression type somewhere. So I just used your tool to extract the gmd's. Unfortunately, this means the actual animation data is still buried somewhere inside those ng2's (since the GMD ANM chunk is always practically empty, it's probably just referring to another "global" animation table or something).

But anyway, I wanted to figure out the skeletal data, so I've been focusing on DOA still (where the animation data is clearly visible in the mot pack). I checked out those mot files, though, and again, there's no base bone/hierarchy data to be found (again unless it is weirdly encrypted/compressed, which wouldn't make much sense, at least not for the base pose). I've also noted that many pieces on the DOA girl models don't contain ANY weights! This even includes the "breast piece", even though I would've thought for sure those boobies were still boned in addition to utilizing morph targets. I mapped out "vtn1.tpr" (Tina's body) like so in terms of weights-per-mesh (I only noted the actual object counts, but all draw lists under each object happen to have identical counts on this one). Index values omitted means *0* weights:

3 - 2 weights
4 - 2 weights
5 - 2 weights
6 - 4 weights
7 - 2 weights
11 - 3 weights
13 - 2 weights
15 - 2 weights
16 - 2 weights
20 - 2 weights
21 - 3 weights
22 - 2 weights
23 - 2 weights
24 - 2 weights
25 - 4 weights
26 - 2 weights
30 - 3 weights
32 - 2 weights
34 - 2 weights
35 - 2 weights
39 - 2 weights
40 - 3 weights
And here's the kicker: None of the vertex components in Tina's body are *actually* bone indices. I've verified this to be 100% certain by mapping them all out (and the type of data can be determined, 100% of the time, using the decl info...so there's no mistake here). Here's the common cases for vertex sizes 32-48 in Tina (no vertex sizes above 48 exist in the model):
32-byte Vertex
--
00-12: Position
12-16: Normal
16-20: UV1
20-24: UV2 (seems 100% identical to UV1 in DOA models)
24-28: UV3 (seems 100% identical to UV1 in DOA models)
28-32: Tangent/Binormal (decoded just like Normal)

40-byte Vertex
--
32-40: 2 weights (complete 32-bit floats)

44-byte Vertex
--
32-44: 3 weights (complete 32-bit floats)

48-byte Vertex
--
32-48: 4 weights (complete 32-bit floats)
However, those "weight" values seem like they definitely are weights, they always add up to 1.0 and occasionally 0 out components at the start or middle as a way of saying "no weight influence here".

So this leaves us with two possibilities: Either there's a max of 4 bones per draw (this would be insane!), or there's another set of per-vertex bone indices somewhere (actually, this is kind of insane too, but less insane). But where could they possibly be? They damn sure aren't anywhere in the XPR2, and DOAX2 has no concept of "GMD" structure, and they damn sure aren't in the motion data, and...well, I don't see any other files in DOAX2 to even consider searching in.

But I did notice that the Hie chunk contains, after the "bone" index and its parent index, a count WORD, and then WORD's (either "bone" or mesh indices) up to count. I had assumed this was simply "children" or something, but count is always a value from 0-3 (in every single DOA model), and when you consider that the "base bone" plus the "count bones" would add up to 1-4 bones for the weights....crazy as it seems, it does support the "4 bones per draw" theory. So I went ahead and tried those out in various combinations (as both indexes into the "bone" list and into the mesh list) to fill out the bone index array for each surface and supplement the actual weight values, but, nothing I tried looked right.

So, I have no ideas now, really. Surveyor, revelation, any thoughts on this madness?
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

I have seen developers hide the file names inside the xex / xbe files in xbox360 games i can try to pull the name table out for you if you post the file.