Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

FF 13 3D models ripping possible ...

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
orbbu
beginner

FF 13 3D models ripping possible ...

Post by orbbu »

Hi, first post :p

Its seems someone was able to extract the 3D models from FF13, with textures ect. I see from the screens that he is using Metasequoia for viewing the models...

Here's the link: http://blog.livedoor.jp/htmk73/archives/2347812.html

I though that the PS3 discs where encrypted ? I actually ripped the full disc on my PC using the PS3 linux, and tryed to watch the CG cutscenes, but it seems that all the files are encrypted (because the header of each movie file is different, so I think that there is some sort of encryption right ?)

So, is there a tool to decrypt PS3 disc ? can someone that speaks japanese better than me actually go to that blog and get some infos regarding the extraction of the models ? (and the CG, that would be great !)
AceAngel
veteran

Re: FF 13 3D models ripping possible ...

Post by AceAngel »

I'm pretty sure the X360 version would be easier to...unlock?
orbbu
beginner

Post by orbbu »

Yep, but now that the info is spreeding on the web, I'm pretty sure they will change the code for the x360 version...
revelation
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by revelation »

PS3 discs are encrypted. And then certain files within the disc are even encrypted again in addition to that. The first layer of encryption is easy to remove though if you have access to the right hardware. Of course, companies are also welcome to do whatever else they want to their own files, such as encrypting or compressing them after that if they want. But most file are completely fine after the first layer of disc based encryption is removed. And, no, a retail ps3 is not currently capable of doing these things.

Hopefully i can get access to some of the game files at some point to attempting looking into them as well.

i would also be surprised if the release delay for other countries was anything more than being due to region/country preference and audio recording/language translation at this point. 2 months is hardly time to do much more than bug fixes and regional updates, much less change the file format for all the game files, re-export them, test them, master game discs, and hit dvd/bluray production schedules for a pending international release. Though i guess if they really care all that much about it they could put some measures in place, but i don't think it would even be worth the time or effort required, especially since it wouldn't change the current discs available. Though i am sure there are enough hardware differences and graphics api differences, that depending on this new engine they made for the game works, could cause some file format differences.
orbbu
beginner

Post by orbbu »

Yes, it really seems that the disc are encrypted, but I saw that some files are not, like the png for the icons and the trophy list, I can even see the description of the trophies ...

Anyway, here's the response of the guy :

ファイルの抽出方法はPS3S○Kなどがあると思いますが具体的な方法は秘密にしておきます。
これによってPS3市場がPSPのようなことになる可能性があるからです。

I think that he has used the PS3 SDK tools, but I don't know if its just the SDK that was spreeding on the net and working on PC, or if its a debug console that he used... (harder to get -.- )
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

The guy released the images to show that he did it...thats all...He didnt release the file formats, how he did it aside from purely saying "SDK" and "decrypted", obviously the guy has a few tools that we dont have here, ontop of which they wouldnt make the edits to the file formats before the western release...its too time consuming anyways.

Also...Theat livedoor.jp isnt actually the guy that did its blog...thats just some other blog with a few of the images from his blog, he took down his blog yesterday morning because of the number of hits it suddenly got when kotaku announced they'd randomally come across his blog, so he likely took it down so he doesnt get either A: arrested (software stuffs taken pretty seriously in Japan....) or B: threatend with arrest.

Everyone keeps saying "modding is possible?"...its ALWAYS possible...it just gets harder...sure its not so easy to hack the PS3 discs because they are encrypted...but still...somewhere...someone has managed it without the SDK...it probably took him a shit hell of a long time to do it though, and its also possible the encryption method for PS3 discs could change. It just takes someone with the disc 100% ripped to their HD in order to get really into it, Linux on your PPS3 would help a great deal, if you could dual boot it somehow then you could capture the cache and all the changes going on (similar to recording a PC software install) and then sit down and learn from there...wouldnt be easy...I sure as hell couldnt ever do it...but someone can:P

Though I am curious why everyone wants to mod FF13...its a console game...either you mod your console and never play online or you just do it with a pc game (which FF13 isnt) so its more just ripping models and textures as opposed to modding really.
falconcool
veteran

Post by falconcool »

A good news,,
http://www.news.com.au/technology/georg ... 5823503219

Be patient boys,,it's just a matter of time :D
onionhead
beginner

Post by onionhead »

wohoo thats sure is some great news. that means there will be more extraction tools for ps3 games.
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

orbbu
beginner

Post by orbbu »

wow thats amasing, how did you do that ? -.-

SDK tools ? debug console ? I want this tool :p
chrrox

Post by chrrox »

SirLoon
advanced

Post by SirLoon »

chrrox wrote:you need a debug console
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/3262/0000082f.png
Good thing is, PS3 is hacked and i hope it takes only short time before they dump bios and find some exploit. After that we can dump memory while playing :)
orbbu
beginner

Post by orbbu »

OK, too bad, thanks for the info :)
Rickylyh
ultra-n00b

Post by Rickylyh »

nice job :)
chrrox

Post by chrrox »