Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

[PC] Resident Evil 5

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
shadowmoy
veteran

Re: [PC] Resident Evil 5

Post by shadowmoy »

ok i will need beta testers and a lot of feedback with this one : the aim is to remove the lodmesh not needed (degenerated mesh) and export only the original one

so here is the alpha 3.1 version:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_-=<(¯`·._.·[ CodeMan ]·._.·´¯)>=-_
Gocha
veteran

Post by Gocha »

venomtrk wrote:I want to edit subtitles and translate Turkish Language. How can i do it
+2

Is there any progress to it? Help us in it, peaple.
My great respect and appreciation for them, who research game files! Special thanks to: aluigi, bacter, DerPlaya, Rick, Turfster, twig, Zench. Sorry if someone is missing in my list, I'll update when I'll notice it again
oyunceviri
advanced

Post by oyunceviri »

Please delete this message
Last edited by oyunceviri on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oyunceviri
advanced

Post by oyunceviri »

+3 :)
Gocha wrote:
venomtrk wrote:I want to edit subtitles and translate Turkish Language. How can i do it
+2

Is there any progress to it? Help us in it, peaple.
hansekkert
ultra-n00b

Post by hansekkert »

shadowmoy wrote:ok i will need beta testers and a lot of feedback with this one : the aim is to remove the lodmesh not needed (degenerated mesh) and export only the original one

so here is the alpha 3.1 version:
ok, there are no double meshes any more, but only the low poly lod is left. All high poly meshes have been erased.

hope this helps a little.

btw. sorry for my english ;)
Sectus
veteran

Post by Sectus »

I've been trying to mod some of the enemy layouts for RE5 which has been all about editing XFS files. I thought I might as well share some mapping I've done of one of the files, which is s402_em00.15302ef4. This is the type of file which includes all the enemy definitions for each stage in the game. The header starts with some kind of list of all the variables (lists length maybe?), then a list of strings which is all the names of the variables, then a few more variables which is of the header including one important byte which specifies how many definitions are in this file. I think "01 00 00 00" is used as a separator for variables within a definition.

So here's some quick info about the variables I've identified in the em## files so far. Sorry about the rather ugliness of the picture:
The glowy red small lines show the start and end of each enemy definition. Which is about 1B6 in total length (this varies as at least 2 variables in the definition can have any length).

1: This is part of the header and not of any enemy definitions. This byte simply defines how many definitions are in this file in total. In this case "0C" which is 12. (this is from one of the em00 files by the way)

2: This is the type of enemy. cSetInfoEm10 is the type of majini you fight throughout the entire game. You can replace this with another string of different length.

3: This is the specific type of enemy. uEm10 being town majini. uEm14 would be army majini and there's many other variants. This variable can also be of any length.

4: This is the spawn position of the enemy (mPosition as shown in header). It's 3 variables which are 4 bytes each for X, Y and Z. I haven't messed around a lot with this, but I know the second variable of those is for height.

5: This is the angle the enemy will look at when spawning (mAngle). I haven't messed a lot around with it, so I couldn't say much about it.

6: This is the scale of the enemy (mScale), as with position, it's 3 variables which are 4 bytes each for X, Y and Z.

7: This is the amount of health for the enemy (mLife). In this case "20 03" = 320 (hex) = 800 (decimal).

8: This is the amount of ammo the enemy carries for his weapon (it'll be visible on his back). FF FF FF FF means practically unlimited ammo. You'll usually see this as 00 00 00 00. This only counts for throwable weapons like molotov cocktails, small axes, dynamite and etc.

9: The first byte of these is the actual weapon the enemy is carying. In this case "59" being the steel pipe. (by the way, steel pipe can only be carried as one weapon, so the ammo count above won't matter)

10: This defines the probability of the enemy turning into a las plagas monster. "04" being 100% probability for some reason

11: This is the type of las plagas monster he'll turn into. 00 is none, 01 is longneck/cephalo, 02 is crab/duvalia and 04 is flying las plagas/kipepeo.

12: This variable simply defines whether or not the enemy is lefthanded (mbLefty). 01 means he's a lefty, 00 means right handed.

I made one small mistake with the picture. The 5th variable highlighted is 4 bytes long, not 3.
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Hi Sectus,
Me too I've been messing with XFS and SDL files for some time now, I didn't test the variables in the game I just tried to interprete them.
Did you actually test the vars in the game or are you only refering to the var names in the XFS header?
The main difference between XFS and SDL files is the offsets to the data chunks, there are no offsets in XFS files which makes reading variable data more difficult (must be read sequentially), besides there are a lot of var types to consider (floats, ints, chars, arrays, ...) an on top of that there are some unknown data structures!
I was working on a XFS/SDL decompiler similar to the PLA decompiler released earlier, the "01 00 00 00" isn't a separator, I'd rather think it as the data array size, if it's one (in the majority of cases, but not always) then this space holds one value only.

And by the way, I forgot to mention that the new Mod2Max converter was posted on the DMC4 thread, it'll help you with RE5 models + texture coords are 100% working!
lionheartuk
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by lionheartuk »

Surveyor wrote:Hi Sectus,
Me too I've been messing with XFS and SDL files for some time now, I didn't test the variables in the game I just tried to interprete them.
Did you actually test the vars in the game or are you only refering to the var names in the XFS header?
The main difference between XFS and SDL files is the offsets to the data chunks, there are no offsets in XFS files which makes reading variable data more difficult (must be read sequentially), besides there are a lot of var types to consider (floats, ints, chars, arrays, ...) an on top of that there are some unknown data structures!
I was working on a XFS/SDL decompiler similar to the PLA decompiler released earlier, the "01 00 00 00" isn't a separator, I'd rather think it as the data array size, if it's one (in the majority of cases, but not always) then this space holds one value only.

And by the way, I forgot to mention that the new Mod2Max converter was posted on the DMC4 thread, it'll help you with RE5 models + texture coords are 100% working!
Awesome, great work dude.
Is there a new upcoming release for the MOD2OBJ converter at all? with 100% fixed UV's?
Sectus
veteran

Post by Sectus »

Surveyor wrote:Hi Sectus,

All the stuff I've highlighted are stuff I've tested ingame, and all the changes work as it should.

Some random examples...
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... 4fd041.png - Enemy with high mScale
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/ ... f2c0b5.png - Big man majini with bowgun (normally they never use any weapon in game besides their fists)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdyHU-0xjdY - This is a test variant of Public Assembly I worked on where I tried a ton of different values for enemy types, and weapons and health values for them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkssUOIEVwA - Here's an example where I was able to modify an array in one of the FSM XFS files which controls spawning. I managed to modify it so that one batch of 4 enemies would spawn 14 enemies instead. (more info about those arrays here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evi ... 9891&st=90 - one of the last posts in that thread)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t19A2uxlNRQ - And this was another method of adding more enemies I found. Many XFS files (for stages at least) are loaded automatically no matter what the filename is. So I was able to duplicate "EmSetStart" (which defines which enemies spawn instantly in a mercenaries stage), edit the spawn arrays in those file to point to different Em## files. And then it would spawn 48 enemies instantly, instead of the normal 12. (I also changed the position of each enemy to be on the same spot so it was quicker to test)

What you say about 01 00 00 00 makes sense. The only type of file I've edited with an array are the FSM files in stages, those have an array listing all the enemy entries for the em## files. I'm not completely sure what all the data in the array means, but I figured out enough to be able to change the size of the array and modify the data I wanted to change . Anyway, besides those FSM files, I've only edited item## and em## XFS files and they seem to have no arrays listed. And in those files 01 00 00 00 is a reliable way to find the start of each new variable defined.

I'm happy that RE5 is more moddable than I thought thanks to so much being defined in those easily available XFS files, but doing all the modding via a hex editor is a huge chore. I hope there will be some progress in completely figuring out the XFS format.
mambox
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by mambox »

hi,

first i would like to thank you all for the work on reversing models.

i have a small question,is there a way to explorer levels?
i mean,is it possible to walk into unwanted-in-game area?

or a cam hack?

greets!
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Is there a new upcoming release for the MOD2OBJ converter at all? with 100% fixed UV's?
Hey, I thought UV coords were already 100% working, tell me which model poses the problem and I'll fix that!
All the stuff I've highlighted are stuff I've tested ingame
From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong) the game accepts any filename or extension as long as there is valid data inside?
I'm happy that RE5 is more moddable than I thought thanks to so much being defined in those easily available XFS files
I wouldn't say soo, I spent hundreds of hours to code a working SDL decompiler, I just don't plan to spend the same amout of time on the XFS decompiler!!!
i have a small question,is there a way to explorer levels? i mean,is it possible to walk into unwanted-in-game area?
IMO, this is easilly done by modifying the collision meshes so they don't prevent you from going anywhere you want. By deleteing all the walls but not the grounds (or else you would fall to the end of the universe), the collision files are the SBC files located in the scr directories of the stages.
Sectus
veteran

Post by Sectus »

Surveyor wrote:From what I understood (correct me if I'm wrong) the game accepts any filename or extension as long as there is valid data inside?
For the most part, I think so. I'm pretty sure everything in stage/s###/soft/fsm/ will be loaded no matter the filename is (probably even subdirectories), I was able to make the game load more files for enemy spawns that way. For stage/s###/soft/ I think it follows a more strict filename format, but it's pretty straightforward. Like the em files always needs be called something like "s200_em00". But the game will load those as long as they're named correctly, like if you create "s200_em19", it'll load that and you can reference that file in the FSM spawn files.
omni
n00b

Post by omni »

How about those *m* variables, any info on them and how they work? E.G. mAtackType.
Devil May Cry modding community: http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/index/
Sectus
veteran

Post by Sectus »

omni wrote:How about those *m* variables, any info on them and how they work? E.G. mAtackType.
There's many variables I haven't tested yet, or haven't been able to figure out. I usually see mAttackType as 00. It could be the variable which defines whether the enemy starts as idle or not, who knows.

I recently figured out where the different player camera changes are defined. The .ahc files define those (which are also of the XFS format). Stage .arcs have .ahc files which acts as a modifier (like in the very start of 1-2 in the room with the jeep it's a bit further zoomed out than normal). And the .ahc files in player .arcs define the basic camera (there's 3 sets of position and FOV values per camera, which are above the camera name... TRANS_DEFAULT is the normal camera, TRANS_THROW is the camera for holding any non-weapon, READY_DEFAULT is for aiming guns, READY_THROW is for aiming grenades and knife).

Normal camera swapped with TRANS_THROW, so that you get a much wider view when walking around with a gun (which you do most of the time):
ImageImage

Very low FOV which basically acts as a super zoom:
omni
n00b

Post by omni »

Sectus wrote:I usually see mAttackType as 00.
You mean those 00 right next to each variable or something else? Aren't those just separators?
Devil May Cry modding community: http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/index/