Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain (PC) .JAM Video Files

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
VorteX
n00b

Re: Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain (PC) .JAM Video Files

Post by VorteX »

Trying to "massage" data of that JAM's using the knowledge of STR, noting succesful
but here's a bytemap act14b (first 256000 bytes):

Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

It seems like just noise... but would need to see what should appear to figure if it's some correspondance...

Also if you can provide code it may help.

Just don't give up, I tried to figure a format correctly more than a year, once :mrgreen:

See you
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Interesting way of looking at data. But an actual file would be better for us to examine! :)
VorteX
n00b

Post by VorteX »

Mr.Mouse: thanks, it's actually http://darkmaster.quakedev.com/work/act14b.zip

Balder: yeah. Entirely failing to workout this format even with your STR specs, i've decided to borrow other Blood Omen files for a while till i get enough experience :)
Also if you can provide code it may help
Nothing special yet. I'm just pick first 256000 bytes of file and exported them to 320x800 TGA, hoping to see something. There's interesting pattern of repeating "3 black pixels" at first black frames. Nothing really informative, but may help at guessing a compression method.

I've crafted a tool that deals with most blood omen files (tiles and maps are only not discovered yet). When i finish sprites exporting i'l plan to make simple JAM exporting code (bringing what we know about it), surely i'l post sourcecode here.

Thanks for your interest!
Balder
advanced

Post by Balder »

That's great. As I recently said on other "not closed topics" over here I'm still alive so will keep an eye on this whenever I can.

I bring good news, though. Recently I've been working on decoding lionheart's frm16 format. At the end I checked that there were two subtypes: frm16 "64" and "68" (named after the internal signatures). The first was a modified BMP so very easy to convert and work with. But the second was a modified jpeg compression to include an alpha channel.

As jpeg works in YUV space of colour (as .JAM) I might learn something to help you then. (Actually my biggest problem with the format is that I have no idea how this space of colour works)

As always, keep your project going! I'm also doing a remake of a game (HoMM2) and it's lots of fun :keke:

I'll be pleased to help in whatever I can. :wink:
Slappy
ultra-n00b

Post by Slappy »

I bring good news, though. Recently I've been working on decoding lionheart's frm16 format. At the end I checked that there were two subtypes: frm16 "64" and "68" (named after the internal signatures). The first was a modified BMP so very easy to convert and work with. But the second was a modified jpeg compression to include an alpha channel.

Can you share the tools for that frm16 files?

Ping from viewtopic.php?t=26146