Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Ninja Gaiden 2 x360

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Re: Ninja Gaiden 2 x360

Post by Mr.Mouse »

There is no problem in showing the models. We are not a kids site.
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Ok here you go: this is the ayane model that I had to adjust the different body parts to fit together and unified many of the faces and left some. Enjoy !!
If Xentax isn't the best game research place in the world then now it is !!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Nice :D
brienj
VIP member
VIP member

Post by brienj »

Not bad getting the models out. I made a nude version of DOAX2 about a year ago, but I've never given it out to anyone but close friends. Don't want to deal with Tecmo coming after me. :scaredy:

It would be cool to edit the models too, but they did a pretty good job on what is in the game already. Good luck to you! :D
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Hi there!!
Here's more, there is some progress in the face indices and still no texture coords, now the program works for stages too, this time I didn't touch the unify nor the weld buttons in max!!
But first things first, I'll post an .afs extractor for Doax2 and a .ng2 extractor for Ninja Gaiden 2 soon.
Now I need to sleep a little ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Ng2 Extractor
Ninja Gaiden 2 has .ng2 files that contain the different data for the game, I searched these files and didn't find any file allocation table so I went blind on this one.
Of course the most importatnt part in the .ng2 files is the character & stage models, there are some effect models that get overwritten but that's not important (who cares about the damn effects anyway) There are also some char_dat2 & itm_dat2 files that will be skipped!!!
The models are extracted as GMD (game model ?) files that contain the regular XPR2 chunks + some MPH (morph) and ANIM chunks.
Since there aren't many .ng2 files (about 20) I made this extractor process them all at once, the extracted files will be in the corresponding directories for the original .ng2.
The good thing about the GMD files is that they have a name that will be used as a filename so you'll get something like this: e_nin_a.gmd, e: enemy, nin: ninja, a (a, b, c, ...)
As usual, put the program in the root directory where the dfferent .ng2 file are then watch the magic, it'll take about 15 minutes and now you have all the GMD files ready.
This is just the model extractor, a model converter will be available soon!
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

awesome, if the converter works on DOAX2, it'll open a large resource of models.

can't wait to make some renders with em :)
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
Mike
n00b

Post by Mike »

Surveyor wrote:Ng2 Extractor
Ninja Gaiden 2 has .ng2 files that contain the different data for the game, I searched these files and didn't find any file allocation table so I went blind on this one.
Of course the most importatnt part in the .ng2 files is the character & stage models, there are some effect models that get overwritten but that's not important (who cares about the damn effects anyway) There are also some char_dat2 & itm_dat2 files that will be skipped!!!
The models are extracted as GMD (game model ?) files that contain the regular XPR2 chunks + some MPH (morph) and ANIM chunks.
Since there aren't many .ng2 files (about 20) I made this extractor process them all at once, the extracted files will be in the corresponding directories for the original .ng2.
The good thing about the GMD files is that they have a name that will be used as a filename so you'll get something like this: e_nin_a.gmd, e: enemy, nin: ninja, a (a, b, c, ...)
As usual, put the program in the root directory where the dfferent .ng2 file are then watch the magic, it'll take about 15 minutes and now you have all the GMD files ready.
This is just the model extractor, a model converter will be available soon!

awesome,
it would be cool if your conveter could export morph and skinning data.
since my currently tool(given by my friend) can export mesh and bone only.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

the skinning is weird, they combine static objects with skin objects. don't know about ng though.. probably the same.
Maxscript and other finished work I've done can be found on my DeviantArt account
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Doax2 AFS Extractor
This is just the old xbox AFS used for many games. The weird thing is that TECMO kept the AFS structure as little endian (xbox 360 is big endian) of course the data inside these AFS archives are big endian.
There aren't many afs files for Doax2 so I made the extractor process them one after the other in a single shot!

AFS Files:
avt avatar models
boat maybe racing boats
chr the characters, yay!!
cmn common data?
itm items
mot motion
snd character voices
spr 2d sprites for the HUD
stg stages
werone swimsuits for ayane, kokoro, christie, helena & hitomi
wertwo swimsuits for christie, helena, hitomi, leifang, lisa, kasumi & tina

The tricky part is that on some of the afs files, there are duplicate filenames: you get one filename for more than one file. This is found in itm.afs, werone.afs and wertwo.afs. An example is that for a character swimsuit, 3 swimsuits shares the same filename, this would be a waste to get only one suit out of three.
A solution to this problem was to have a rename-on-the-fly mechanism when extracting the content. The way these filenames are junked into the afs files, I doubt the game uses them, it might use some hardcoded file index, this is clearly seen in itm.afs where parts of the extensions are simply not there!!!!

Just put the extractor where all the afs files are (yes all of them or else the program crashes) then you'll see the files extracted to their respective directories.
Something to notice is that most of the game files when looked at in the hex editor are xpr2 (models) or cat (I don't know what these do)
Mike
n00b

Post by Mike »

Mario_Kart wrote:the skinning is weird, they combine static objects with skin objects. don't know about ng though.. probably the same.
As shown in the attached picture, the body part are in one piece.
it seems, not possible to deform the mesh by morph target.
and the bones ware present, i was petty sure that they are using skinning technic.
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

i see, but still doax2 might be different. it's based of its counter part, doa4. which is a fighting game where tecmo cut corners to allow them better frame rates.

i know for a fact that in doa2u the models are not 1 piece.

NG and DOA may be slightly different, and that's what I was trying to say before...
Surveyor
veteran

Post by Surveyor »

Okaay, I see someone has got a working converter, this is good but I got some questions:
question1: where are the breast bones ? I know breasts don't have bones but there must be something to influence them to bounce as they usually do and I don't see anything!!
question2: where are the finger bones??
question3: does the converter export textures too or are you using some other tool?
question4: will you release the converter or is it only a see-but-dont-touch thing?

Mario_Kart, indeed ng2 models and doax2 are different. Both character models have body parts but in doax2, the parts are all cramped together just like the older doax used to be, you need to adjust them but in Ng2, the parts are already adjusted.
For stages, no difference!!

Ok now for some fresh news ... face indices are now fixed!!! models look clearer and look at the pic below: there's a beautifully modeled xbox 360 in there!!
These models are way too detailed and they are used ingame!!!! the 360 is really a beast!!!
There are some faces that need to be flipped but I'm done with this, now it's time to move on to something else ... Textures and texture coords are my destiny!!
I'll soon post the first release here, but before I'll need to fix a strange Windows bug that crashes the converter whenever I run it outside Visual Studio !!!
I'll keep you posted on the progress!
mariokart64n
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by mariokart64n »

any luck with the UV's?

voltron had trouble figuring out the mapping method
onionhead
beginner

Post by onionhead »

Mike: do u mind posting the model for Sonia plz, cuz i don have ninja gaiden 2 to extract from. thanks