Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Kindly asking for supprt of Nomad Soul (aka Omikron) music.

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

The closest I came was when I treated them as Dialogic ADPCM .VOX files (4-bit ADPCM).

Check out 112.wav
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutter
ultra-n00b

Post by Cutter »

Yeah I remember having this same result in April 2004, at the time I first played with these files.
Someone on this topic says that the files should be opened as ADPCM 16-bit Stereo, but I don't know of an audio editor that would be able to open this format.
capt.ahab
VIP member
VIP member

Post by capt.ahab »

if somebody would be able to code a program that adds the header information with the right filelength then we could enjoy these great music tracks.
Cutter
ultra-n00b

Post by Cutter »

Well? Is there still no way to rip these tracks? :(
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

I am really sorry, but just like you, I stumbled on a dead end. :(
Sly
n00b

Post by Sly »

I've made a simple tool for converting in-game sounds to standard WAV files. Just extract attached archive in to your The Nomad Soul\Tracks folder and run .exe file. Make sure you have about 750Mb of free disk space!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutter
ultra-n00b

Post by Cutter »

Thank you VERY much! I was looking for such a converter for years. I wonder how I didn't read your post earlier. How did you do it?

Ps: could you please provide the source if you still have it? It would make it easier for coders to develop input plugins for Winamp and foobar2000.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Cutter wrote:Thank you VERY much! I was looking for such a converter for years. I wonder how I didn't read your post earlier. How did you do it?

Ps: could you please provide the source if you still have it? It would make it easier for coders to develop input plugins for Winamp and foobar2000.
Don't forget! We can thank eachother now! Click Sly's THANK POST button to do so :) :D :P
aluigi
VVIP member
VVIP member

Re: Kindly asking for supprt of Nomad Soul (aka Omikron) music.

Post by aluigi »

if Cutter is still interested to the source code of the adpcm algorithm used in the game I have written an adp2wav tool just now.
hope it helps
TuxTheWise
ultra-n00b

Post by TuxTheWise »

aluigi wrote:if Cutter is still interested to the source code of the adpcm algorithm used in the game I have written an adp2wav tool just now.
hope it helps
Sorry for resurrecting an old topic.

Luigi, your tool was only decoding stereo audio. I've added channel detection (byte at 0x00000003 = 1 => stereo; = 0 => mono), so it's able to decode every Omikron .ADP now. The new adp2wav is attached to this post.

I need help with this format though. I need to encode audio in this ADP format. I've tried encoding Yam ADPCM (Codec ID: 0x20), getting the output raw data and adding its custom 16 bytes header, but the result is the sound with a lot of volume issues. Any idea what program and format should I use to make a "compatible" ADPCM with this ADP format?
aluigi
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by aluigi »

thanx for the correction.
I guess that for solving your problem you should find the differences between that codec and the adp one, personally I can't help
TuxTheWise
ultra-n00b

Post by TuxTheWise »

I wrote an encoder for this ADPCM format, you can see the code here.

It's actually a pretty dumb algorithm. It tests the 16 possible combinations for each nibble and chooses the one that produces the closest result to the original sample. It uses Luigi's routine for decoding.

The results play fine with both Luigi's decoder and the game.

I'm pretty sure no one will be interested in this program, but I'm posting it here just in case.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

TuxTheWise wrote:I wrote an encoder for this ADPCM format, you can see the code here.

I'm pretty sure no one will be interested in this program, but I'm posting it here just in case.
That is untrue. Have a binary as well to share? :)
TuxTheWise
ultra-n00b

Post by TuxTheWise »

Mr.Mouse wrote:
TuxTheWise wrote:I wrote an encoder for this ADPCM format, you can see the code here.

That is untrue. Have a binary as well to share? :)
Binary and code attached to this post.

In this post there are more information about this ADPCM format if anyone is interested.