Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

DAT files

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
peshkohacka
beginner

DAT files

Post by peshkohacka »

Hi, as a new here i don't know would this be against the rules, but here's a few files that i can get to understand them at all - some are encrypted (i guess), some not. However they all start with VBDFILE, so if you have any idea for the format please help:

Code: Select all

http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=zqocu4exd2
The archive contains a few samples (this are full-size files) and a program that i think is using it.
asmxtx
veteran

Re: DAT files

Post by asmxtx »

I don't know this program but it seems to be commercial malware:

http://www.file.net/process/ctxfispi.exe.html

For me it seems these data-files contain some registry data converted in a special way. Besides it appears to be some kind of copy-protection. Maybe the programmers decided to not to burden the Windows-registry-database with these values because they are never changed and used for read-only purposes only. Maybe the programmers utilize an internal self-made library or a bypass not to touch the registry.

I think this program runs as a such called "service".
If you want to remove it, you should use invoke the commandline program "SC.EXE", which is located in the SYSTEM32-folder. This program can handle all available services in WinXP (be careful).
For example, if you want to remove the unnecessary NVIDIA graphic card service, enter:

sc stop nvsvc
sc delete nvsvc
Then this bloody thing will never run again.

Or to list all services into a text file, enter:

sc query >xyz.txt
peshkohacka
beginner

Re: DAT files

Post by peshkohacka »

Its too bad, but its not malware, its the main back of the creative's drivers, and this .dat's if i i'm right contain info about features of the soundcard itself