Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Source engine .mdl decompiler that doesn't require Steam?

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
bizzybody
beginner

Source engine .mdl decompiler that doesn't require Steam?

Post by bizzybody »

I want to decompile a couple of .mdl files from Portal but the only app I've found that can requires Steam to be installed.

It will need to specifically support "Orange Box" Half Life 2 and Portal .MDL files. From what I read on the Valve developer Wiki, they updated the .MDL (and .VTF and other files) just for these games, though a few were still compiled with older versions of the formats.

There are plugins to import the 3D data into some version of 3D Studio and Blender *after* it's been extracted from the .mdl file.
zardalu
veteran

Re: Source engine .mdl decompiler that doesn't require Steam?

Post by zardalu »

The decompiler that I use says in the readme that steam is required to be installed, but it's not really necessary. The decompiler just looks for a couple of files associated with steam. If those files are in the same directory as the decompiler, they will work even without steam installed. I will see if I can remember which files are needed by looking on my other system when I have it available. I have not yet seen a decompiler that works with the newer .mdl files used in portal and HL2 episode 2. The one I have only works with HL2, Episode One, SIN Episodes, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, and to a limited extent on Vampire: Bloodlines (no animations for that one).
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

I found an older copy of the vstdlib.dll that mdldecompiler.exe (the supposedly bugfixed version of the one by CannonFodder) complained about. With that and tier0.dll in the same folder, it works.

Valve updated vstdlib.dll (among other things) and that broke the decompiler, which nobody has bothered to update to work with the new dll.
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

Here's the vstdlib.dll that actually works with Erik's fixed version of CannonFodder's decompiler.

Here's where I found this version of the dll. http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/show ... p?t=592985

http://www.afreedll.com/dll/download/2546/vstdlib.dll
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.