Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Portal for PC?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
bizzybody
beginner

Portal for PC?

Post by bizzybody »

I've been searching the wide web for about 3 hours and haven't found squat for extracting the PC version of Portal. This is "helped" by the use of the word portal for so many things that don't happen to be this game. :bleh: (It's just another frigging website, not a bloody portal to anything!)

The game has nine .gcf files, the three largest are over a gig. They compress a lot with WinRAR so I suspect they use no compression.

I'd attach the smallest one, which is 2319K but RARs to 342K, but the largest attachment allowed is 256K.
Vash
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Re: Portal for PC?

Post by Vash »

look for "gcf extractor" on google and you'll find tons of tools :D
merlinsvk
ultra-veteran
ultra-veteran

Post by merlinsvk »

google for: Nem's GCFScape. It supports .bsp, .gcf, .ncf, .pak, .vpk, .wad and .xzp packages and runs independently of Steam. And it's free :wink:
bizzybody
beginner

Post by bizzybody »

Yup, found that and VTF Explorer, also free and independent of Steam, for extracting textures from VTF files.

What I haven't yet been able to find is an .MDL decompiler that doesn't require Steam. I have found plugins for 3D Studio and Blender to import the 3D data *after* it's extracted from the .MDL