Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Little extractor program

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
stevenx
veteran

Re: Little extractor program

Post by stevenx »

I want to find out the subtitles in Nancy Drew series games.
Can you take a look at the .dat and .cif files?
Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neoen
n00b

Post by neoen »

And what about adventures made in Adventure Game Studio?
There is for example an adventure game http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?act ... il&id=1077 (click button "Download now").
I want to find text and translate it.
Could you, please, try to extract these files (texts)?

Thank you very much...
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

Added: Adventure Game Studio files, .VOX/.EXE (maybe other file extensions too)

This is a very nasty format. I'm fed up with that. It contains sub-formats with slightly different structures which requires a lot of branching. There are many tables, some of them with unnecessary content. The filename table is "encrypted" with different values depending on the sub-format and filled up with garbage to fool examiners. But I think I could manage it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
neoen
n00b

Post by neoen »

Wow!
I tried some games - some .exe files works but others not. Maybe that it is due another new version of Adventure Game Studio.
For example (not working):
- http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?act ... il&id=1087
- http://www.bigbluecup.com/games.php?act ... il&id=1067
Could you please repair (add support for) it?

But it is great piece of work and I thank you very much!
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

Added: Stolen, PAK-files (made by request)

When I examined the BCB-container in May 2008, I thought it was not necessary to take a look at the PAK files until "PLL" asked for it. Therefore I made it quick, because in contrast to AdventureGameStudio-files this was easy stuff.
neoen
n00b

Post by neoen »

So, I tried some other games and it works fine!

There are only 2 problems:
1) Sometimes (for example this game - http://www.maniac-mansion-mania.com/ind ... load&gid=5) there is not only .EXE file, but resources were split into other file .001. But this file I can not unpack with your extractor. Could you, please, add support for it?
2) As I wrote above with examples, new version of Adventure Game Studio was main upgrade and no game created with version 3.x can be unpacked. But, maybe this will not be so hard task, but only small change?

Thank you for your help once again.
neoen
n00b

Post by neoen »

And one more request:
Telltale game series (http://www.telltalegames.com/) - Sam and Max, Strong Bad and Wallace and Gromit.
Many friends tried to translate these games, but with no success...
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

To "neoen": Don't you think you are expecting too much?
I am a private programmer only who does file format invastigations just for fun and mental sporty reasons in its spare time. I reluctantly examine files from games which I am not interested in.
If you need to extract some special file formats: I could do it, but I think about to get paid for it.
neoen
n00b

Post by neoen »

I was not expecting nothing, but you are very good.
AGS was a very hard task, but you did it.
Could you, please, add support for new version of AGS and special files .00X to complete it?
I think that it should not be so hard when you examined the way of packing similar files.

Ad other request (TellTale):
I am doing translations also for fun and not for money so I can not pay for it much.
But in case of TellTale games I heard that it is very hard task, and my friends tried many people to get text from game, so I think that they would be OK to pay for it. Please look at files and PM how much it would be in this case.

Thank you for your help...
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

AGS divides its main container into at least five sub-formats.
GOBREAD currently supports only the following single-volume formats with these indentification numbers (hex): 06, 0A, 0B, 0F.

If you use GOBREAD with existing (multi-volume) *.00?-files only the files from the first volume will be extracted properly. All others will contain garbage. I have no workaround for this case yet.

AGS has added a new format with number 14h and changed header sizes and data structures. This requires a lot of examining.

I will do my best, but it takes some time...

Edit(Nov 11, 2008)
Now all the subformats mentioned above should be fully supported, including multi volumes - except subformat 14h. I have to work at it some more.
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

Updated: Adventure Game Studio files

After some intensive work I think I am able to unextract all current sub-formats of AGS.
The newer sub-format 14h (AGS ver. 3.x) has file tables with variable lengths whose values are stored in a crippled way, whereas the older formats use predefined entry-lengths.
All games I checked unpacked successfully. I couldn't find multi-volume-files for sub-format 14h yet, but they should extract properly, too.
Bacon
ultra-n00b

Post by Bacon »

Hello,
I saw, that your program supports *.wrs files (Bagger Simulator).

I have also *.wrs files, but in 3D Driving School and I want to unpack them. When I try it with your software, I get the filenames, but something is wrong, because I get error when I try open e.g. picture.

Here is an example wrs file:
http://netload.in/dateiNzQ3ODY3OD/seg_c6.wrs.htm

Thanks for a try, mate! ;)
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

I forgot to mention that I can't handle it at this time because the files whithin these archives are compressed with an unknown compression algorithm. I could need some hints about it.
aluigi
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by aluigi »

just for fun I tried to use my lzss implementation with the bytes starting at offset 0x2c of that seg_c6.wrs file and seems to be the good one:

http://aluigi.org/mytoolz/unlzss.h

let me know if it's ok for all the entire archive too (anyway if works keep in mind that this unlzss.h is under the GPL license)
asmxtx
veteran

Post by asmxtx »

@aluigi:
For me there are two problems to use this source:
1) The "C" language interpretes the size of "int" depending on the destination platform the source code will be compiled for. This is very annoying. But I need "hardcoded" DWORD (32-Bit) integer definitions.
2) Many of (de-)compression source codes I find (e.g. LZO, LZSS, APLIB) implement only a simple source-to-destination-buffer decompression of the whole data without support of partial buffering like ZLIB does. This becomes important when large files have to be processed.
Could you write a ZLIB-like "wrapper"-interface for LZSS (callback or repeated-calls-until...)
keep in mind that this unlzss.h is under the GPL license
Yes, I think so... It is abstracted from 3D-Gamestudio ACKNEX.DLL.