Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

(PS2) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne IMG file?

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Anything missed?
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Anything? Missing parts perhaps?
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Ok, somthing I missed that may make this a whole lot easier. I found a data tree/index file that lists the content of the HUGE IMG file. It is called "DDS3.DDT" DDS I think stands for somthing along the lines of Digital Devil Story and 3 because it is the third Shin Megami Tensei. The index/data tree file seems to point out first folders then the files in each folder giving location values of each. Could it be possible to use this information instead of scanning the entire IMG archive or is it still required?

We'll see if the index/data tree file gives anything useful. In case it does would it be possible to have some way to first read the index and apply that to the data contained in the archive so it then can be read?

Edit: On second thought DDS3 may be the name of the PS2 engine as it is the same for Devil Summoner, a game of which I also got off eBay. XD What can I say? I love Megaten. This may also mean that Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are done the same way and thus could be viewed in a very similar fashion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Re: (PS2) Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne IMG file?

Post by Darkfox »

Sorry for this big bump but it seems that all PS2 Megaten games use this same system of DDS3.IMG (data) DDS3,DDT (what everything is named and where everything is)

Is it possible to read from primarily the index file where everything is or should I cut off a portion of the IMG file?
xrevenge
veteran

Post by xrevenge »

Darkfox wrote:Sorry for this big bump but it seems that all PS2 Megaten games use this same system of DDS3.IMG (data) DDS3,DDT (what everything is named and where everything is)

Is it possible to read from primarily the index file where everything is or should I cut off a portion of the IMG file?
i just checked devil summoner and nocturne, the use the same .img file...
and the same .ipu and .ips files for videos...GRRR
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Yes, the IMG file, and then a DDT file to list off all the contents of it. HOWEVER Sound format is different between Devil Summoner and Nocturne. In DS you can rip all sounds with PSound.
cippyboy
beginner

Post by cippyboy »

Dunno if anyone's interested in this anymore or not, but some time ago I wrote an imperfect extractor for the DDT/IMG formats that can extract files from Nocturne, DDS1&2, Devil Summoner.

I was thinking to update it/made it perfect, but gave up on it from the lack of motivation.

This is the source code, compiled with VS2008

PS: By the way, on Nocturne's DVD, there's a Windows executable that opens up Atlus's TMX files (used in the games above plus Persona3 or more).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Wow! Awesome, thanks! :)

Now we got something to work from, thanks a bunch!
cippyboy
beginner

Post by cippyboy »

I think that code won't compile because it uses like 2 functions from my engine, but if you got some minor programming skills you can easily fix it. I might try to release an exe with an ini file if there's a big request to.

Last night, I felt a little bit motivated to work on it, and researched the .PB model format found in Nocturne/DDS1&2/Devil Summoner. Turns out they have around 10 textures/tmx-es stacked up in a single file, and I also found a trace of what seems to be normals and texcoords.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

I have minor skills but they are in Visual Basic... so naturally I'm at the low end in programming. I analyze data, that is what I mainly do. I rip files and I enjoy making mods. I'd love to be able to view/convert models of those games in the future btw. :) Maybe somebody here could help in the 3D field.
cippyboy
beginner

Post by cippyboy »

I don't have problems with 3D data since I'm currently a full-time game programmer :D

I'm having more issues with motivation for doing this kind of stuff in my free time, because it's sometimes terribly boring to look over data that just doesn't seem to make any kind of sense.

Anyways, yesterday I worked a little bit more on .PB models and discovered that some files have wrong headers and direct the texture reading to other places than the real ones which is fuck weird because it screws up my processing. Next I discovered weird arrays of numbers right after the textures, like
1 0 -1 (72 bytes)
1 1 0 (72 bytes)
1 2 1 (72 bytes)
1 3 1 (72 bytes)
1 89 88 (? bytes)
It's really weird because I know where they end, but don't know where the rest of the data begins (there's <=72 bytes, and any of them could start a new array of data). For the weird numbers, I think it's the skeletal bone tree(first number is ignored, second is child, and next it's parent) and right next to them there's 18 floats, which could mean a transformation matrix (since most values are near PI/2, 0 or 1), but some matrices sure look weird (like 1.2e-23) so I'm having some doubts.

PS:I think I'd rather make a new post for this stuff, so we won't bloat the current topic