Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Guitar Hero On Tour *.hwas codec

Get help on any and all audio formats, or chip in and help others!
amantonas
ultra-n00b

Guitar Hero On Tour *.hwas codec

Post by amantonas »

The contents of this post was deleted because of possible forum rules violation.
Zench
VIP member
VIP member

Re: Guitar Hero On Tour *.hwas codec

Post by Zench »

It looks like this format uses Dialogic VOX for compression. I decoded it with Cool Edit (I have an old unregistered version, '96 I think) and it was quite audible, except for loud clicks at regular intervals. I haven't done a lot of experimenting so I will get back to you later.
And I said, "The well has finally run dry." So then that will be my battle cry.
Zench
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Zench »

Well, I could not get it to decode in my own code. I don't know how Cool Edit does it, but I even after downloading some source code it didn't work.
Teancum
veteran

Post by Teancum »

Zench wrote:It looks like this format uses Dialogic VOX for compression. I decoded it with Cool Edit (I have an old unregistered version, '96 I think) and it was quite audible, except for loud clicks at regular intervals. I haven't done a lot of experimenting so I will get back to you later.
It's not standard Vox format, I know that much. I've used four different programs to decode it, and all of them give the same result as you listed above.
Zench
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Zench »

Teancum wrote:
Zench wrote:It looks like this format uses Dialogic VOX for compression. I decoded it with Cool Edit (I have an old unregistered version, '96 I think) and it was quite audible, except for loud clicks at regular intervals. I haven't done a lot of experimenting so I will get back to you later.
It's not standard Vox format, I know that much. I've used four different programs to decode it, and all of them give the same result as you listed above.
Which four? I figured out that the clicks are there because the file is in blocks, which are 32,768 bytes in size (there is a 512 byte header). Perhaps one of them is open source, so I can use its source code to decode it.
Teancum
veteran

Post by Teancum »

Two were just random decoders I found on the net, but the other two were GoldWave and Audacity.
GameZelda
advanced

Post by GameZelda »

Yes, it seems to be VOX ADPCM, and the header is 512 bytes (pretty simple, I've documented it in ScoreHero).

With sox, after removing the first 512 bytes, and decoding from VOX ADPCM, it sounds pretty good, there are some imperfections, but I guess that those are because of the low audio quality.
Zench
VIP member
VIP member

Post by Zench »

GameZelda wrote:With sox, after removing the first 512 bytes, and decoding from VOX ADPCM, it sounds pretty good, there are some imperfections, but I guess that those are because of the low audio quality.
Did you try decoding the file posted above with sox? It doesn't sound very good at all, and it is almost the same as when amantonas decoded it with Audacity. I think it can be decoded better. Can anyone who has played the game verify the quality? Here is Cool Edit's decoding of this, which has some clicks or "disturbances".
Kataah
beginner

Post by Kataah »

I dont think that this bad quality is in the game with all that disturbances.
No its not the typical vox dialogic codec, its a modified version.
Convert a file to vox dialogic and compare the beginning with that file you will see the difference.
hmm dont found a way to decode this file too.