Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Can MultiEx Open Game Archives That Aren't Supported?

Problems getting MultiEx Commander or other related programs to run? This is where you post.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Post by TheDyingInformant »

Good good. :) I just got up, uploading vox.dat. I'm 'resuming' download since it got cut off yesterday. Does that really work? Anyway, it says it will take 16 hours, so, I should have it uploaded for you before 3am.

After you get all these, if that's not enough, let me know. I am also curious where the games models and textures are saved. These files I'm sending to you are from the folder 'cdrom.img', along with folders that are called 'face', 'image', 'module', 'pac' and 'stage'. I won't send them unless you need them. I mean, I could, but one is over 3gigs and that's just gonna be too big to upload.

Gosh, is this the biggest PC game ever? :?

For fun, you could download this too. Maybe listen to it while you work on these files. It's the theme song of the game. You won't regret it if you decide to download it. :wink:

Ofcourse that's totally optional.
Here is a biggy (and important)!

vox.dat (1.07Gb) (probably all the dialog in the game, aside from the cinemas - which will come tomorrow).

I feel bad for you though. It's so nice of you to do this, but how much space is this taking up on your hard drive I wonder? Its so cool of you to do this.

Let me know when you get movie.dat and vox.dat. :)
Last edited by TheDyingInformant on Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheDyingInformant
veteran

So do you think you have enough to work with now? Let me know when you get those. If you need the other huge file I have, I can't upload it until vox.dat is deleted from my space. So let me know when you get that and if you need the other one too.

Thanks. :)
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Well, I'm downloading the vox thing now. It will take a while at 14kbs. I can already say though, that every single dat file I looked at is different. Up to now, there seems no general MSG2 dat format. We will see.
Meanwhile , I've been busy demystifying the .CDDS format from Lock On.
And added it to the XeNTaX OpenGRAF database. :D
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Uh oh... I wonder what this means.... Oh dear, could it be that Konami was actually so clever to make MGS2 not even possible to be hacked? Or a real headacke to do so?

An interesting note is that all files in the PAC folder can be played in Windows Media Player. They are all the videos in the game (not cinemas but other videos). So that can be accessed... hmm. So that makes me wonder what the heck is movievr....

There's no rush ofcourse, just keep me posted. :wink:

OMG why didn't I think to compress these??? It didn't occur to me at all. I read that is what the guy did in the .cdds thread. It's nice you were able to help him so quickly. I guess MGS2 is being a b****. :(

Okay. So I don't know how far along you are on vox.dat, maybe we should continue with that as planned. But then the other one I can upload in a zip folder. OR if you're not far along with getting VOX than you could cancel that, and I can upload both files zipped, which would be a 1.5 gig download, and over 2 gig after extraction. Uploading takes a long time, and I'm sure downloading does too. But just let me know how you want to do it, and I can proceed with uploading zip files instead.

I can't BELIEVE I forgot to do that before.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Indeed, just RAR or ZIP the VOX file and put it up again. My computer crashed at halfway the previous time and all was lost. :eek:

This entices me to write a small app that I can give an URL to and that will download a file. Just so I can see at an earlier download time point how the format works, without having to down the whole file. :roll:
I will call it XeNTaX' DownScanner. .. . . . .. . . :!:
TheDyingInformant
veteran

:mrgreen: I inspired you to make a new program! 8)

Well, I have two more huge files to send, but since it is too risky for it to take too long, I will upload them individually zipped. I have two in a zip folder right now, but that is 1.5 Gb. Too risky IMO.

Uploading right now. I'll let you know when its done. ;)

Oh no! Webspace is sucking again! :x Maybe I should be realistic. I ain't ever gonna get those files. Cause they are too big and my webspace sucks. :(
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Well, different dat file formats doesn't mean I can;t figure them all out! :D
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Ok, my webspace is back in action now. Uploading vox (again) now. Will be done later (and I hope you don't mind if I post again to let you know).

And as far as the formats being tricky go, I was hoping you would have come across other tricky games too, but, I don't know. This game maybe was designed to be 'hack proof' or something. I'm not going to tell you all MGS fans who want the files depend on YOU guys, but I really have not found any other places that could be of help to me. If you could point me in the right direction, while you keep working on your program, and trying to figure out the formats if you want, that would be great. Once I get the files uploaded, you can get them, but they may still seem difficult or impossible to figure out. Which sure sucks. :(
TheDyingInformant
veteran

FINALLY! (739MB)

Uploading the next one. It will be done by the end of tomorrow or so. So I'll edit this post to include it. Just be sure to check late tomorrow, or early Thursday. :)
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Ok, donwloading it. I quickly fixed me that DownScanner I was talking about. Much to my surprise, it downloads the file faster than Internet Explorer. Anyway, the program is not of much use with this file, because it is zipped and I cannot look at the dat file yet, but it may come in handy in the future. :D
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

damn :evil: error in zip file...downloading again...(last time took me 22 h) :roll:

Btw : this is a screenshot of that downscanner as it downloads the file again.... :)

TheDyingInformant
veteran

Heh, pretty cool. So you can sort of see some of the file - maybe enough to find the format without getting the whole file? Neat idea.

Error in zip file huh? Hmm.... I don't know why.... You can probably get a download accellerator. I'm really sorry about this. They are HUGE files, I can not help it. It will be even bigger on your hard drive too. I hope the eventual result is something will catch your eye and you go 'AHA!' and figure out the format. :D Maybe not directly, but maybe you find a format out for a similar game's format, leading you to know how to figure out this game. Like other games use .dat format I notice, but as you said, that just stands for 'data'. The formats can be totally different program to program.

The good news is the last file! Well, I have a small one, but I don't think its important. I could send it some other time. Would be fast. Its' only KB. For now, another WHOPPER. So you can get it when you're ready.

DEMO.DAT (787MB)

If it is similar to MGS1 on PS with PSound extractor, this would be all the audio for the cutscenes. Where vox.dat should be all the rest of the dialog. And I forget what file is sound fx.

Good luck. And be sure to let me know if I should look for other files/folders that may contain something with more useful/crackable information in it. :wink:
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Bloody @$@#$#@$@#@$#@

The demo.zip is okay, BUT THE VOX.ZIP still has that error. SO, it's not my downloading that corrupted it. It's probably during the upload that the wrong byte was saved. Where's PKZipFIX when you need it. Come to think of it, if I knew which byte was corrupted, I might simply replace it with all other combinations, 0-255, and only one would work....the right one...Hmm..... :?
TheDyingInformant
veteran

Hmm... might I need to upload it again? It was uploaded while my webspace was s***, maybe problems occurred. Then my space got all reliable on me, and I proceeded to upload demo.dat which you say is ok.

SO, I will surely do that tomorrow. Holy crap, its 4am. Guess I should go. I'll be lucky to get up pre-noon...

And hey, if you have any probs figuring these files out, there has got to be some things you could still get from me. Either form the same game, or from PSound with the MGS1 CDs. I can extract the audio files, tho I think it saves them to wav, but if the games were made similarly, there might be some hints there. I have no idea. If you think of any further ways I can be of help, or any bribes you would accept if doing it for free doesn't seem interesting, be sure to let me know, ok?

Cause you have no idea how much this would mean to me. And as you saw, other fans would love this support as well. :)
TheDyingInformant
veteran

OK, lets try this again, shall we?

VOX.ZIP

I hope its alright now. Nothing went wrong this time, so it should be ok, unless its the ZIPPING process that was screwy