Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

16-bit palette (a small problem).

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
GameZelda
advanced

16-bit palette (a small problem).

Post by GameZelda »

I'm trying to convert the GH3 image files but I have a little problem with some files with a 16-bit palette.

Apparently they have the palette messed up, in 32-bit, the order is "BGRA" instead of the normal "RGBA".

I can view the 16-bit images now, but I can't figure out how to change it. I've tried to swap them assuming that instead of using 1 byte for each color, they could have used 1 nibble for each color, but it doesn't seem to work :cry: :cry:

So basically, the question is: How are the colors organized in a 16-bit palette (I'm using TGA as target format)? (The images show basically fine, but some colors are messed up :( ).

Thanks!
Rheini

Post by Rheini »

a 16-Bit palette? don't understand what you mean.
so the palette has 65536 BGRA entries and the picture uses 16 bit per pixel to set the color?
GameZelda
advanced

Post by GameZelda »

No. It's a 16-bit (color depth) palette (this means, 2 bytes per entry/color), with 256 entries (with a total of 2*256=512 bytes).

I just want to know, of each entry, what bits are green, what are red, what blue, and what alpha (not sure if there's alpha).

For example, in a 32-bit palette the colors are just:

-8 bits: Red
-8 bits: Green
-8 bits: Blue
-8 bits: Alpha

I just want to know how it works for 16-bit palettes...
Last edited by GameZelda on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GameZelda
advanced

Post by GameZelda »

Well, finally solved it (thanks to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highcolor )

It's just 5 bits for red, 6 for green and 5 for blue.

Here's my swapping formula. Notice that palette[] is an array of integers, so I'm swapping 2 colors at the same time.

Code: Select all

palette[i] = (palette[i] & 0x07E007E0) | ((palette[i] >> 10) & 0x001F001F) | ((palette[i] << 10) & 0xF800F800);
Also, here's the formula for the 32-bit palettes, MUCH easier:

Code: Select all

palette[i] = (palette[i] & 0xFF00FF00) | ((palette[i] >> 16) & 0x000000FF) | ((palette[i] << 16) & 0x00FF0000);
I don't know if it will be useful, but I think that PS2 uses that format for palettes. Guitar Hero 1, 2, 3 games use those palettes, and GH3 is developed by a different company (Neversoft), so it's not exclusive of the GH1/2 developer (Harmonix)