Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

.wz archive

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
singga
n00b

Post by singga »

themoviefund wrote:Noooo! Don't change encryption. How 'bout deleting this thread so that they won't know we extracted?
it seems that..
Wizet change something make dump can't extract :(
singga
n00b

Post by singga »

singga wrote:
themoviefund wrote:Noooo! Don't change encryption. How 'bout deleting this thread so that they won't know we extracted?
it seems that..
Wizet change something make dump can't extract :(
I am talking about KMST
masterburner
ultra-n00b

Post by masterburner »

good that i have the old 0.27 Data.wz :P with the mapdump
kiler
ultra-n00b

Post by kiler »

Now it really doesn't work due to some issues in the new patch
Omega
advanced

Post by Omega »

I hadn't done much with this for a while since my comp died. I went back to it recently to figure out the new problems. I'm not going to provide code as they seem to have added this new encryption stuff to prevent it. Coders out there can use what I say to figure it out I guess, but I'll leave it at that.

Global:
They added a new entry type to the directory structure. I just seek past the unknown info, and all the files seem to break up properly. It might be a comment or something, but skipping it doesn't break anything.

Korean:
They changed the way strings are encoded. Everything works essentially the same. Previously, it was start with key=0xAA, then increment to find the next key. Now the initial key is different, and I haven't managed to figure out the pattern to get the next one yet.

After I got that part working again, I tried extracting the directory structure again. All the files seem to be out of order. I'm not sure if that was there before, but I'm guessing it's supposed to make figuring out the string encryption more difficult.

For example in the sound folder the files are found in this order (rather than alphabetically):
Bgm14.img
Bgm01.img
Bgm13.img
Bgm07.img
Bgm12.img
Pet.img
Bgm06.img
UI.img
BgmTH.img
etc...
baomizhu
ultra-n00b

Post by baomizhu »

Last edited by baomizhu on Sat May 10, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkfox
VVIP member
VVIP member

Post by Darkfox »

Don't use cave speak please. Well generally it seems the reason encryptions are made is to protect their files. But it is also kinda silly to be so protective if you own the copywrights to the files anyways. So if they steal them and claim them as their own they can just sue them.
kiler
ultra-n00b

Post by kiler »

Omega wrote:I hadn't done much with this for a while since my comp died. I went back to it recently to figure out the new problems. I'm not going to provide code as they seem to have added this new encryption stuff to prevent it. Coders out there can use what I say to figure it out I guess, but I'll leave it at that.

Global:
They added a new entry type to the directory structure. I just seek past the unknown info, and all the files seem to break up properly. It might be a comment or something, but skipping it doesn't break anything.

Korean:
They changed the way strings are encoded. Everything works essentially the same. Previously, it was start with key=0xAA, then increment to find the next key. Now the initial key is different, and I haven't managed to figure out the pattern to get the next one yet.

After I got that part working again, I tried extracting the directory structure again. All the files seem to be out of order. I'm not sure if that was there before, but I'm guessing it's supposed to make figuring out the string encryption more difficult.

For example in the sound folder the files are found in this order (rather than alphabetically):
Bgm14.img
Bgm01.img
Bgm13.img
Bgm07.img
Bgm12.img
Pet.img
Bgm06.img
UI.img
BgmTH.img
etc...
Extracting in a different order is not a problem since you can use Windows to sort it alphabetically..
kiler
ultra-n00b

Post by kiler »

Is there any way to open up the .patch files that wizet releases to update data.wz?
Omega
advanced

Post by Omega »

kiler wrote:Is there any way to open up the .patch files that wizet releases to update data.wz?
The only person I know who has done something like this is Rick, and from what I can tell, he patches the game files and then puts up the differences.

My guess is that the patch files contain only the differences, not the actual data. For example, if some value is changed from 200 to 201, it will just say somethign like:
at position x change the value from 0 to 1

Short answer, no.
kolli
n00b

Post by kolli »

Hi, my first post here.

I want to ask, if someone tried to translate the Python script to some other language.
I writing a Object Pascal tool to view the .wz files (so some kind of a "wz Explorer").

But as I'm not good in Python I'd like to know if someone created a general overview about the wz file format. (Reverse Engeneering a code of a programming language you don't know is really hard...)

Header reading is no problem.
PNG routines will need some work, but you described the way in the first few posts of the thread, so that won't be too hard.

Problems will come up on the String encryption and the zlib stuff. If I got this right, the strings are Unicode strings, aren't they? Object pascal is not very "Unicode ready"... And I have to find a good zlib library to deal with the compression.

Did anybody try something like that in any other language beside Python? I will do it in Object Pascal (I use Lazarus with FPC), but some code snippets in C would help me, too. (I have more experience in C than in Python ;) )

As far as I know, Rick wrote his tool in C++. (I saw him posting a screenshot a while ago)
Omega
advanced

Post by Omega »

kolli wrote:Hi, my first post here.

I want to ask, if someone tried to translate the Python script to some other language.
I writing a Object Pascal tool to view the .wz files (so some kind of a "wz Explorer").

But as I'm not good in Python I'd like to know if someone created a general overview about the wz file format. (Reverse Engeneering a code of a programming language you don't know is really hard...)

Header reading is no problem.
PNG routines will need some work, but you described the way in the first few posts of the thread, so that won't be too hard.

Problems will come up on the String encryption and the zlib stuff. If I got this right, the strings are Unicode strings, aren't they? Object pascal is not very "Unicode ready"... And I have to find a good zlib library to deal with the compression.

Did anybody try something like that in any other language beside Python? I will do it in Object Pascal (I use Lazarus with FPC), but some code snippets in C would help me, too. (I have more experience in C than in Python ;) )

As far as I know, Rick wrote his tool in C++. (I saw him posting a screenshot a while ago)
I've seen one in delphi, and C/C++. There are two types of strings if you check through the code. One set are standard ascii, other are unicode (two bytes). use zlib itself for decompression, though pascal might have it built in somewhere.
ninjalm
n00b

Post by ninjalm »

hmm i got virson 0.13.
i can uplaot it.
in this virson the "DefFnce" are wecker and it esier to hack Data.wz
0.13 GMS
AngelSL
beginner

Post by AngelSL »

I can't seem to extract MP3s from the archive. Uncommenting those in the dumpMp3 will make it extract nothing.
ninjalm
n00b

Post by ninjalm »

any pograsive have been done?