Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Geometric Algebra

Got a comment, question or silly remark that doesn't fit any of the other MultiEx fora? This is the place to post 'em.
OneOneSeven
advanced

Geometric Algebra

Post by OneOneSeven »

This is kind of a random request, but would anyone here happen to know much about geometric algebra/be willing to teach me a bit? I've witnessed the wonders it has had on the realtime rendering world and being able to show off in math and physics class is a plus :D

Also wonder if it's possible to make a unified physics and lighting model? That's be pretty neat, and in theory you could use a GPU AND a PPU to do calculations. The implications are interesting, to say the least.
Dinoguy1000
Site Admin

Post by Dinoguy1000 »

I *might* be able to help, but it depends heavily on what exactly you need/want to know. As for the unified physics/lighting model, you may want to try doig some research on that via the web. I'm not even sure such a model exists within the physics circle.
Welcome to Xentax!

Rules | Requests | Wiki | Discord

If you run across a post that breaks the rules, please report the post - a mod or admin will handle it from there.
OneOneSeven
advanced

Post by OneOneSeven »

... That's kind of tough as I have very little knowledge about it myself... XD

Well a primer would be nice I guess. I consider myself to be reasonably good math student, I'm hoping I'd understand most of it.

And on the second thingy, that's what's so interesting about it. As I understand it, geometric/Clifford algebra lends itself really well to collision detection (obviously) as well as some light/optics concepts. It's a natural extension of the two, really. As for practicality, I'm not sure. The extra calculation hardware would be a definite plus, though.
Xanax
n00b

Post by Xanax »

I'm interested in this also, though I'm not terribly knowledgeable either.

Have you tried GABLE or GABLE+? You can find links for both of them here: http://www.science.uva.nl/ga/tutorials/GABLE/index.html.

They take a bit of work to get into but are very helpful in getting some conceptual understanding of GA. GABLE+/GAViewer is the way to go if you don't happen to have MATLAB already.
OneOneSeven
advanced

Post by OneOneSeven »

That seems like it would have been useful, with the notable exception of the fact that it doesn't work correctly on my computer. My guess is that it doesn't play nice with my graphics card-- the visualization window never updates itself. I doubt the authors would be stupid enough to outright forget to call their draw function, so I attribute it to hardware.