Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum

We wish the site to continue, so we support it.

Poll ended at Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:56 pm

I will
95%
I won't
5%

Total votes: 662

rayanm123
ultra-n00b

Re: We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Post by rayanm123 »

Honestly I found out about XeNTaX recently (I'm 18 anyway I haven't lived long enough to discover many things :bahaha: ) and I found it really cool and informative even if nobody helped me except ikskoks (thanks ikskoks :mrgreen: ) . I completely agree with what some said , this forum needs a complete overhaul to attract more audience. The modding community is getting bigger everyday and they need forums like this with huge information and data to read and learn from. Though, I voted not to wish the site to continue because honestly I can't support it :( I'm broke :constipated: all I can contribute with is 5$ to 10$ max (as one 1$ = 3.75 in my currency) and I would really like it if it was through Patreon. Thanks Mr.Mouse and everyone contributing to this site.
-Rayan
michalss

Post by michalss »

Dear friend Mr. Mouse,

As an experienced forum owner, I have the skills required to effectively manage and improve a large community forum. Unfortunately, my current schedule is quite packed. However, if you are unable to find another suitable candidate, I am prepared to take on the responsibility and carry out a thorough overhaul, potentially transitioning away from PHPBB. Additionally, I am capable of facilitating the migration to my own server farms and managing the domain transfer process. Please consider this offer as a last resort, as I am currently occupied with other commitments. However, if this forum is at risk of fading away, I would prefer to step in and assist, if other mods would still willing help to moderate it.. :)
Quick BMS Editor GUI - simple easy to use
Goto : viewtopic.php?uid=34229&f=29&t=6797&start=0

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/
fuvegotado
ultra-n00b

Post by fuvegotado »

put your tool on itch.io and enable pay-what-you-want download

and patreon.

look how much cheatengine is earning (of course diff situation) https://graphtreon.com/creator/cheatengine
RossRapper
beginner

Post by RossRapper »

Well, I do not have much posts, but Xentax is one of the first places I go to when I have troubles (granted, I do not have those often).

Even though I've pressed that I will support Xentax, I cannot give no money. First, I'm next to dirt poor. Second, I'm from Russia so PayPal banned me and bypassing the ban costs even more money, which I do not have as of now.

For what it takes, I've mentioned Xentax on my YouTube channel every time I've received help here... or found it here. Because aside from my posts, I've actually simply found already prepared solutions on these forums on several ocassions.

Still, I guess that would be like, what, a dozen times at best? Plus my channel only has 800 not very active subs, so go figure...

And yet, here I am again, made another post asking for help one more time. Every time I visit Xentax, I feel like this here is a community, and even though I myself is rare, unexperienced and rather useless guest, Xentax is always on my mind since I've discovered it back in 2019.

Would be really sad to see yet another good site go.
handy333
ultra-n00b

Post by handy333 »

I don't know if this will add anything or if anyone will notice[as usual] but most of my posts and many others I've seen usually have no responses. I don't want the site to go but I would come to the site to see if there's more activity but it's usually someone asking a question and no one responding.
05SpeedMaster
veteran

Post by 05SpeedMaster »

Being that people only look at things that interest them? Maybe most of your posts don't interest people.
I don't look at anything that don't interest me. No SpongeBob, anything Android, anything Play Station, nor obscure Chinese stuff.
Best I can say is LEARN to Do it yourself.
Seems to many expect INSTANT GRATIFICATION and then whine they don't get it.
hexaae
advanced

Post by hexaae »

Where is a Donate button?

However, I think there is an implicit problem with sites like Xentax: people usually post here looking for help, but only a few users regularly read the forum to help others. [roll]
TokiChan
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by TokiChan »

I'm not a everyday user of this forum biut I sometime come here for tools, methods and new techniques. And I don't know any other places or forums where I can find something. I'm bad to use Discord, I'm oldschool user.
This will be so sad to lost place like this
http://tokami-fuko.deviantart.com/
Extracted, converted, rigged models :)
Skyrim, Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Doom 3, random dragons
nowandtheworld
ultra-n00b

Post by nowandtheworld »

I don't ever post, but this forum has been a goldmine of information and learning. If it shuts down, all I ask is for a backup to be made available. The information here is invaluable. Appreciate all the work everyone has done over the years. I went from knowing nothing about extracting/reverse engineering games, to being able to extract models from hexcode and figuring out how to reverse game archives.
FFTW
ultra-n00b

Post by FFTW »

I registered mainly to post in this topic. I find this site to be awesome and would love for it to continue. I also agree that if it doesn't an archived copy would be needed. I was a hardcore user of TheISOZone way in the past (its formatting was actually pretty similar to this site), and lost tons of information, interactions, etc when it suddenly vanished, so I would hate for that to happen again to the regulars here. However, whether it continues or not, I would very much like to thank the admin @Mr.Mouse for everything he has done so far. Huge respect.
SlavaVlasov
n00b

Post by SlavaVlasov »

I will also speak out: you know what the problem is with many romhacker forums with useful information for hacking/translating games and utilities for this? They are no more. Even in the webarchive: as a rule, forums have their own complex URL, which the webarchive does not back up. So a LOT of information was lost on the Internet from the forums of the late 90s - early 2000s - the time when the topic of romhacking PS1, DC, PS2, PC, etc. was very relevant and information could be obtained first hand. And now these sites simply do not exist. :[ I wouldn't want Xentax to suffer the same fate. In the end, you can try to move to a cheaper server.

The Xentax forum is years and years of communication, discussion, research and useful attachments. It would be a pity if so much of this information was lost. In addition to usefulness, it's also a story. From time to time I take on the next game, I encounter new formats there and, as a rule, I don’t know how to open them and how to work with them. And this information is usually already in one quantity or another on the forum, I just haven’t gotten to it yet. It would be a shame to know that it disappeared at the very moment when you needed it.

In general, if suddenly the site decides to close, I would REALLY like to have a backup copy of the site (preferably offline browsable), uploaded somewhere on a Drop Box or other cloud. :!:
DrFuff
ultra-n00b

Post by DrFuff »

Hello 8D , I recently made an account just so I can post on this topic. I had only found this forum in the last couple of days but a lot of the topics seem interesting to me. I often surf the web to find things like this but I find this forum interesting. I have been interested in the fighting game engine MUGEN and modding for The Simpsons Hit & Run. I would much like to peruse this forum for a bit longer. I'm willing to donate a few dollars if that's what it takes to keep the servers running.
herbert3000
veteran

Post by herbert3000 »

What is necessary to keep the site alive?
I guess a webmaster (technical admin) who takes care of the hosting, technical issues, keeping the software up-to-date etc.
Then a couple of moderators. And of course money to pay the bills (how much is it per year?)

It would be great, if we had some job descriptions including the tasks, responsibilites and estimated hours of work.
Otherwise it's hard to find anyone who is willing to commit to the job.
relight
beginner

Post by relight »

herbert3000 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:40 pmIt would be great, if we had some job descriptions including the tasks, responsibilites and estimated hours of work. Otherwise it's hard to find anyone who is willing to commit to the job.
So I think at least three people now (including myself) have offered to take over the site, since it seems that’s what Mr. Mouse wanted. Perhaps others have also privately offered assistance in various ways. At this point I think a pretty good variety of opinions have been shared, with many similar comments among them. It’s up to Mr. Mouse what he wants to do next.