Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Dune: Spice Wars (.pak)

The Original Forum. Game archives, full of resources. How to open them? Get help here.
Spiritovod
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Dune: Spice Wars (.pak)

Post by Spiritovod »

Here is script for unpacking pak file from Dune: Spice Wars. It's not valid for re-import because there are checksums for every file (adler32).
Update: Though checksums are not validated against files, so it's possible to modify package without adjusting them (proof).

Also, files are using extensions of their sources instead of actual ones: png are dds of various types, fbx are hmd, and so on.

dune_spice_wars_extract_v2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Spiritovod on Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:32 am, edited 10 times in total.
ghostx2015
ultra-n00b

Re: Dune: Spice Wars (.pak)

Post by ghostx2015 »

What game engine model format is .hmd?
Is there a tool that can read the .hmd model?
Spiritovod
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Spiritovod »

@ghostx2015: The game is using Heaps engine, like for their previous games, Northgard and Wartales. Apparently native IDE for it (hide) works fine with renamed/converted sources, including animations. You need to convert textures though and some complex assets are not supported.

leto.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spiritovod
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Spiritovod »

Here is script for repacking. You need to place modified file, script and archive in the same folder and run script on modified file - it will be appended to selected archive (can be specified in the script), if original file was there. Make sure to backup original archive and extracted files, as modified archive can't be extracted anymore (you can still add other modified files to it though).
It may be updated in the future, since current script is built with workarounds due to quickbms limitations.

Alternatively you can use native build tool from the engine as explained here.

Update: Script is updated to handle all files, though currently modified data.cdb should smaller or equal to original file.

dune_spice_wars_repack_v2.zip
XRaptor
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by XRaptor »

Try this - quick extractor with repack build to support Czech localization. I hope it will work fine :-)
http://raptor-cestiny.cz/download/files ... tor100.zip
Multicor
ultra-n00b

Post by Multicor »

XRaptor wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:19 pm Try this - quick extractor with repack build to support Czech localization. I hope it will work fine :-)
http://raptor-cestiny.cz/download/files ... tor100.zip
Hi!

Thanks for the tool!
This tool does not support importing the file "data.cdb". The game will not start after import. The "texts.xml" will work, but it only contains the user interface texts. Can you update the program or help me?

Also, is there any way to not have to split the 2.8GB file after translation?

Thank you.
XRaptor
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by XRaptor »

Multicor wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:48 pm This tool does not support importing the file "data.cdb". The game will not start after import. The "texts.xml" will work, but it only contains the user interface texts. Can you update the program or help me?

Also, is there any way to not have to split the 2.8GB file after translation?
Tool has nothing to do with game crash after editing files. It is just repacker. Maybe you just somehow damaged this file in editor.

Split file after translation? What do you mean? Repacker just creates a new file, because it is streaming original unedited files from original pak to new one.
dvxm
ultra-n00b

Post by dvxm »

Spiritovod, thanks for making this BMS file, I've just used it to unpack Dune's res.compressed.pak file :)
Pheen!x
ultra-n00b

Post by Pheen!x »

Spiritovod wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:10 pm @ghostx2015: The game is using Heaps engine, like for their previous games, Northgard and Wartales. Apparently native IDE for it (hide) works fine with renamed/converted sources, including animations. You need to convert textures though and some complex assets are not supported.
Hello,

just jumping in here, I am stuck at the stage when opening the files.
I renamed all fbx-files into hmd-files, at least it looks like that is what you did.

But then you are talking abouting "converted sources, including animations".
Could you or anybody give me any pointers where I can look up conversion to open the Dune files?

Thanks.
Spiritovod
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Spiritovod »

@Pheen!x: You only need to convert extracted dds textures to actual png, then Hide can use them. It can be done with any tool supporting DXT/BC formats, like PVRTexTool (except for BC7). Though Hide can only preview models/animations, not export them or save in other formats.
Pheen!x
ultra-n00b

Post by Pheen!x »

Great thank you. Bummer that they cannot be exported, I was hoping to be able to 3D print some of the models.
mihailgaravsyuk
ultra-n00b

Post by mihailgaravsyuk »

Spiritovod wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 pm Here is script for repacking. You need to place modified file, script and archive in the same folder and run script on modified file - it will be appended to selected archive (can be specified in the script), if original file was there. Make sure to backup original archive and extracted files, as modified archive can't be extracted anymore (you can still add other modified files to it though).
It may be updated in the future, since current script is built with workarounds due to quickbms limitations.

Alternatively you can use native build tool from the engine as explained here.

Update: Script is updated to handle all files, though currently modified data.cdb should smaller or equal to original file.

dune_spice_wars_repack_v2.zip
i have a problem. I use quickbms_4gb_files.exe, because size res.compressed.pak file a 3.2Gb. But repacking not run:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vz--8Y ... sp=sharing

When i use quickbms.exe, in cmd writes that:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K96go5 ... sp=sharing

how do i repackage the file?
Throneddarcy
ultra-n00b

Post by Throneddarcy »

Hello I'm new to extracting and that I've extracted the files but when I try to open/import the fbx I've had no luck was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue?
Spiritovod
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Spiritovod »

@Throneddarcy: Despite the extensions, those extracted files are actually hmd (proprietary models format for the engine) and common dds textures, not fbx and png. It was mentioned above. You can try to find some tools for converting this models format, though I couldn't back then.
sameidandpw
ultra-n00b

Post by sameidandpw »

Any chance you will update the extract script to work with the retail version? There seems to be a problem with the content of some of the extracted files. For example no text in the *.css files and json files starting in the middle of a tag.