Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum

We wish the site to continue, so we support it.

Poll ended at Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:56 pm

I will
95%
I won't
5%

Total votes: 662

Bigchillghost
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Post by Bigchillghost »

dclem wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:45 pmIf not toxic, definitely bitter...
And I specifically stated I don't use Xentax ... I know Xentax doesn't have a market section, duh, that's why I use Zenhax ... maybe that's just your character, and if so, Geez. Good luck to you and your endeavors...
Yeah yeah yeah, whatever, as long as it pleases you. You can't reason with an uncivilized person. Period.
May you find peace in this puzzle-solving game. Say it with action: click the Image when you get helped.:)
dclem
Banned

Post by dclem »

Devilot wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:29 pm
dclem wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:23 pm
Devilot wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:05 am so, I just want to say, that Zenhax has been down for a while now.
Please don't let the site go down. There is literally no other site like it; not even xentax. It may not seem like much with heavy activity but it is undoubtedly still active and cared for.
Does not depend on me, but it does on aluigi. Were it up to me, as I said I'd making mega mod-quasi admin here and give him a full QuickBMS section.
I can do whatever I can to help. I do not want to see it die.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

dclem wrote:You should know that the majority of people thank silently, especially if the tool is from an older thread, or a locked thread they cannot post a thank you. It's very narrowed minded to think that users just take without thanks. If a tool already exists for whatever game they're here primarily for, that author is thanked; some post it, some don't—they thank vocally: 'hey look 'author' here has made a tool for X game, thanks/nice/'.
No, that is not what we have seen in 20 years. Of course, there are many that do thank for a certain tool or for help they got. However, we have seen as many people taking stuff posted here and use elsewhere, pretending they did it themselves. No thanks, no credits to the original author. I would say it is very naive to think people "thank silently" (that is the same as not thanking at all, since to thank someone, you need to make them aware) or that people will credit the authors. We've seen users come here begging to be helped, then pop up on another forum showing off the help of others as if their own.
dclem wrote:This is part of the reason I avoided Xentax and used Zenhax. I haven't forgotten about Xentax entirely but this reason here kinda reminds me of why I stayed away. Games are specific—not all the same; sure some general points may be transferable but games have different structures, don't use the same engine, some are console, PC, different architectures, and its always better to work with another to better learn—paying for that time given.
Just what is part of the reason you you avoided XeNTaX? You speak in vague terms and are not specific. The fact that we do not allow paid work? The fact that we do not expect experts to hand-hold people to learn something very complex, since the experts do all this for fun and free? This site has 163484 posts in ~20000 topics. There is a lot of explaining that is happening in those posts, a lot of tools, and a lot of back-and-forth, not to mention the tutorials section. But we doubled down on people that want a quick-fix so they can shine somewhere else, even paid ones, since we have seen they basically claim stuff as their own somewhere else. We expect people to at least try, when coming with a request.

The forum rules prohibiting posting and linking to copyrighted materials are part of what primed aluigi to leave XeNTaX and start Zenhax at the end of 2014. Of note, he joined XeNTaX in December 2005. Also, aluigi and I have no issues, we have worked pleasantly here for many years, and settled any differences we may have had at the time he forked off with his own copy-cat forum. He is an awesome programmer and reverse engineer, genuine stand up guy. Did you know he based QuickBMS on my MultiEx Commander's MexScript? BMS actually stands for Binary MultiEx Script, which is a compiled form of MexScript. You can read that here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/papers/quickbms.txt
Regarding those rules, if you haven't seen them: viewtopic.php?t=1270
For each of those rules there are clear reasons we implemented them along the way.
dclem wrote:It's also why I never felt motivated to learn or get further into programming/reversing, because of this type of [passive-aggressive] presence;
So what you are saying is that the behaviour of others at this forum has demotivated you to start learning yourself? Honestly? You are putting blame for your lack of motivation on some knowledgable people with egos? Motivation for this sort of thing comes from within. You either want it or not. There are many other places to go than XeNTaX, this forum is just one of many platforms. And a niche at that. It's like saying you were not motivated to study well at math in school, because this one boy or girl in your class was excellent at it, but refused to teach you. How do you motivate yourself for anything in life? I think your statement is false.
Myrkur
ultra-n00b

Post by Myrkur »

xentax forum is a huge resource, if it were to die that would be a large amount of history lost, ive always prefer it over the discord.
dclem
Banned

Post by dclem »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:51 pm snip
Look in the mirror—there's the answer. What I do is my business. If Xentax falls oh well, if not, doesn't matter to me as I said I don't use this site.
Mr.Mouse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:51 pm There are many other places to go than XeNTaX,
No shit, I already know that.
If I want to offer a paid job to a programmer, dammit I can, and I don't use this site to do so. I don't give a damn what the fuck you think about the shit. You don't like it? think I'm XYZ for doing so? K—whatever go sulk it in your corner bussy.
michalss

Post by michalss »

dclem wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:13 am
Mr.Mouse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:51 pm snip
Look in the mirror—there's the answer. What I do is my business. If Xentax falls oh well, if not, doesn't matter to me as I said I don't use this site.
Mr.Mouse wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:51 pm There are many other places to go than XeNTaX,
No shit, I already know that.
If I want to offer a paid job to a programmer, dammit I can, and I don't use this site to do so. I don't give a damn what the fuck you think about the shit. You don't like it? think I'm XYZ for doing so? K—whatever go sulk it in your corner bussy.
Please stop right there. Why are you being so toxic? This is exactly why people prefer to keep things private and focus on their own interests. There aren't many websites like this, so let's not deceive ourselves. If you're feeling frustrated, it would be better to go elsewhere and avoid bothering people here. Engaging in this behavior serves no purpose. Just leave and stop causing unnecessary negativity. Keep your toxic opinions to yourself. Yes, this is a discussion forum, but people here are trying to help each other. Your posts are unhelpful and harmful by any means.
Quick BMS Editor GUI - simple easy to use
Goto : viewtopic.php?uid=34229&f=29&t=6797&start=0

Downloads from DropBox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

dclem wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:13 am Look in the mirror—there's the answer. What I do is my business. If Xentax falls oh well, if not, doesn't matter to me as I said I don't use this site.
Then why are you here, just commenting how toxic XeNTaX is. You are just trolling at this point. And you are off the mark by miles, looking at your 8 posts here (mostly in this thread), you never actually participated on this site. So just leave if you don't like it here and know you are not a reference for any of us.
Gnomoed
ultra-n00b

Post by Gnomoed »

Xentax is a forum, it hosts threads which are indexed by search engines. If there is not a lot of posts per hour, it does not matter that the site is not being used. Whenever I want to extract something from some game, Xentax is always a place that helps me out with a topic already made by somebody where I can find discussion and tools.
When it's gone, all the data will be gone as well, all the tools, all the years worth of topics, and no place for any new ones. Loss of info would be immense.
Please, I am sick and tired of this trend when every old website suddenly decided to die in the last couple of years. What would even be left of the internet in the future?
Just set up a crypto wallet for donations, set up paypal, as much options as you can. The more options you are able to give, the more people would donate for the website's upkeep. PayPal is not available in some countries for example, but some people can't bother with crypto, the more options to pay you will provide, the most likely somebody is going to do it. Set up a donation link somewhere people can actually see it too.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

Gnomoed wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:21 am Xentax is a forum, it hosts threads which are indexed by search engines. If there is not a lot of posts per hour, it does not matter that the site is not being used. Whenever I want to extract something from some game, Xentax is always a place that helps me out with a topic already made by somebody where I can find discussion and tools.
When it's gone, all the data will be gone as well, all the tools, all the years worth of topics, and no place for any new ones. Loss of info would be immense.
Please, I am sick and tired of this trend when every old website suddenly decided to die in the last couple of years. What would even be left of the internet in the future?
Just set up a crypto wallet for donations, set up paypal, as much options as you can. The more options you are able to give, the more people would donate for the website's upkeep. PayPal is not available in some countries for example, but some people can't bother with crypto, the more options to pay you will provide, the most likely somebody is going to do it. Set up a donation link somewhere people can actually see it too.
To restate, current funding is not the biggest issue, unless we wish to expand the site and offer dedicated downloads, for example. What I need is people with time. I need people to manage the site, a true webmaster, that keeps everything up to date and runs the show. Preferably just taking over the whole site. Since I have 0 time to manage it, moderate it, keep it up to date and deal with all the external bullshit.
relight
beginner

Post by relight »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:16 amTo restate, current funding is not the biggest issue, unless we wish to expand the site and offer dedicated downloads, for example. What I need is people with time. I need people to manage the site, a true webmaster, that keeps everything up to date and runs the show. Preferably just taking over the whole site. Since I have 0 time to manage it, moderate it, keep it up to date and deal with all the external bullshit.
To be fair, this thread was not "We need staff" or "Xentax needs a new owner." This thread was 1) "we wish the site to continue" and 2) the very first thing you said in your first post was "we have no funding" and then you continued to focus on money with further comments such as "Nothing is for free in the end."

People have to read through a lot of this thread to find out what you actually want, which is people to take over the site?

I think that people have overwhelmingly answered both of the main points of this thread as per the thread title and the original post, 1) people want the site to continue and 2) people are willing to provide funding.

So what's the next step?

I sent you a PM over a week ago but maybe I'm doing something wrong, it's sitting in my "Outbox" and won't move to "Sent messages," I'm not sure if it only moves to "Sent" once you read it?
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

To be fair, the subtitle of the poll is: "We wish the site to continue, so we support it."
Support can be anything, of course, not money alone. As long as it helps the site.

I get that people wish the site to continue. But then the next step would be to support it, one way or the other.
Gnomoed
ultra-n00b

Post by Gnomoed »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:16 amTo restate, current funding is not the biggest issue, unless we wish to expand the site and offer dedicated downloads, for example. What I need is people with time. I need people to manage the site, a true webmaster, that keeps everything up to date and runs the show. Preferably just taking over the whole site. Since I have 0 time to manage it, moderate it, keep it up to date and deal with all the external bullshit.
You can ask for volunteers to apply for moderation positions, I am sure plenty of people would be interested. Administration role could be handed over to a willing member of the current mod team who is a veteran of his role. If worst come to worst, you can always hire a moderation team, if money is the issue, you can ask people to donate.
There are so many things that could be done to make the situation better, there is no need to close the website. I noticed that a lot of admins go "well, that's it, there is no choice, I am closing it down", without trying to do even the minimal effort to keep it going. I understand that you don't have free time, but this is exactly why you should ask website's community for help.
I and a lot of other people value the wealth of niche knowledge that this website amassed during the years and continue to gather still.
05SpeedMaster
veteran

Post by 05SpeedMaster »

I'm retired so mostly stay at home doing "stuff" on the House or interwebs.
Already said let me know what you want and I'll step up.
I'll stay away from the Idiots.
:bahaha:
Invertex
ultra-n00b

Post by Invertex »

Dunno if it's been suggested, but I think a Patreon/Subscribestar would be a good option for a site like this. People can't be bothered to be manually donating regularly. It's a lot easier to just sub $2-10 or w/e to support a place and then not have to pay attention.

The site could use some extra promotion too, I'm not sure a lot of new people easily find this place, it's a lot of the "old guard".
UuPhan
n00b

Post by UuPhan »

Mr.Mouse wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:16 am To restate, current funding is not the biggest issue, unless we wish to expand the site and offer dedicated downloads, for example. What I need is people with time. I need people to manage the site, a true webmaster, that keeps everything up to date and runs the show. Preferably just taking over the whole site. Since I have 0 time to manage it, moderate it, keep it up to date and deal with all the external bullshit.
When I read this. I thought you are want innovative which this site. Current state of this site may make you lost interesting. Because it's aged and need evolution. This forum is pretty look old for me, which if can turn to latest technical as using another framework as Discourse because function effectively and update very often instead of phpBB or vBulletin, etc. And that reason why Discord, Telegram Group is taking place of traditional forums

I belive this forum is famous with everyone who do reverse engine and modder. And a lot of talents here as daemon1, chrrox, etc... But because of limited of old framework that doesn't let people active much. Also heavy obsolete that costly too much for maintain

I'll try to give you some encourage, remake this, change to another effective platform, integrate AI for managing task, have a appeal and friendly UI, etc. But that absolutely taking time and will become punishment if you don't have passion in it. But the reward is this reborn place become mostly grown community for reversing engine.

But if you are not interesting in this anymore, you don't need to ask us. Because you are own this place not community, just let it die and move on. In case, you still want it continue to live then just let community own it like open source where everyone can contribute and maintain it.

TL;DR: Find your inspiration. If you can find you will found a way, then this is resolve. If not just let it go and farewell. Don't need to fighting with it.