Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Read rules and news about the XeNTaX Game Discussion Forum

We wish the site to continue, so we support it.

Poll ended at Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:56 pm

I will
95%
I won't
5%

Total votes: 662

ChunYu
ultra-n00b

Re: We wish the site to continue (Y/N)

Post by ChunYu »

I am quite new to this site.
Obviously Xentax is a gem, tiny but elegant and very valuable. It's a golden mine for me.
Finnacially I'm willing and able to help, just establish a patraen page and I'll pay.
But I don't think there's any possibility that people can share your labor, at least not as willing as paying for the maintainance.

Most people took this site as a reference and downloading source, so can we turn the downloading limit from registration to payment? (maybe this is a bad idea)
--- Keep the Faith ---
LegnaX
ultra-n00b

Post by LegnaX »

I'm up to support the size financially, if that means giving a few € every month.
This place has giving me a lot of knowledge and opportunities, and I feel like it deserves some love from people.
Grovespaz
ultra-n00b

Post by Grovespaz »

Since it's not money you're looking for, but to not have to do the labor on your own, if the right people with the right skillset presented themselves, would you allow them do perform the maintenance tasks you speak of?

I have a lot of experience with all the applications and techniques you mention and software developer by trade and have a vested interest in the wiki and forum not disappearing. Only question is, how do you establish trust to let someone else in? Like many in this thread I'm mostly a lurker, using what people have already contributed for my own research, so I wouldn't have a track record you can rely on.
mrheadhopper
ultra-n00b

Post by mrheadhopper »

Xentax community massively helped me to learn modding, and I would like it to exist forever to provide the same level of support to others. However I understand how pressing money can be as it is a topic i've dealt with my entire life, so if the site has to go I hope it is archived atleast. I wish you the best in this matter and regardless of your decision, thank you for hosting the site and thanks to everyone in Xentax for helping eachother out all this time.
Irnkman
ultra-n00b

Post by Irnkman »

The site is a valuable repository of information on how to extract models and assets on a per game basis. It would be a shame for all of that to suddenly disappear. I say start a Patreon and even pay wall some things behind it if necessary. But I would 100% give a little money each month if it means this place continues.
05SpeedMaster
veteran

Post by 05SpeedMaster »

Mostly I see from the posts that it's all Newer people posting.
Probably can't do the work themselves and expect the Old Timers to do it for them.
I see a lot say "I'll support it" but how many actually have? IF everyone of them had already done that?
This thread would probably not be here now.
I didn't vote and I have no plans to vote. In my mind it's your site and only you can decide if it's worth your time to continue this.
I spent nearly 20 years doing Gaming Mods and I reached a point that it was no longer something I wanted to do or support.
So I walked away.
Do what is best for you Mate! Knowing you left behind something fantastic and Legendary!

Thank You for everything you have done all these years.
roswell
advanced

Post by roswell »

It costs nothing to setup social media accounts, twitter, instagram, facebook, etc...

If you want to bring people here, it starts with social media. You need Xentax Twitter, Xentax Facebook, etc...
Search engine visibility no longer good enough.

Maybe even make the website mobile device friendly, if it's not already.
Mr.Mouse
Site Admin

Post by Mr.Mouse »

roswell wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:34 pm It costs nothing to setup social media accounts, twitter, instagram, facebook, etc...

If you want to bring people here, it starts with social media. You need Xentax Twitter, Xentax Facebook, etc...
Search engine visibility no longer good enough.

Maybe even make the website mobile device friendly, if it's not already.
You make it seem like it doesn't cost anything. While I agree those platforms are good to have in terms of visibility, as I pointed out, the real cost is time and energy. People here seem to be willing to support, and that is great. If they would be willing to run these social media platforms, that would be wonderful. Simply saying "you should do this or that", even if sound advice, doesn't get the site anywhere. Since I do not have time to spend on the site, as I explained. And our mods are managing the forum and Discord in their spare time as well. At some point, time and energy is running low. For example, we have a Facebook account, but no-one managing it anymore. Again, it takes people who are willing to support to keep things going. No support, no site.
05SpeedMaster
veteran

Post by 05SpeedMaster »

Well. I'm retired so always home now from my years of travels.
I have a good internet conection with a good speed.
What can I do time wise to help you and this site out?
PM me for any back ground information you'd like.
My profile information will not give you anything as to my true skills with computers or programming.
Nor will that provide you with any information as to resources I have.
tschumann
advanced

Post by tschumann »

I'll echo the sentiments on hoping for an archive if the worst happens.

https://forums.alliedmods.net/ is a site that I have given money to before. I don't give often but sometimes if I go there and get a good answer I give $5.
Tekkamanchronos
ultra-n00b

Post by Tekkamanchronos »

Oooh I love this site, yeah there are a few jerks but theres SOOOOOOOOo much info and it's one of the few places to talk to like minded folk.
I cant tell you how many people are still, You cant extract that, its steeaaling *insert spongebob duck gif* But as a person that used to run a community i know how that ish can hurt the pockets, you've been at it for 20 years, that far longer than my 7.. and I had to hang it up lol.
Anywho, I agree with the other folks, the discord although fun isnt very good for research. This place is, sooo Wheres the donate button?
I'm broke at the moment but my money health is improving,How much do you need a month to run this joint?
Drawing
mega-veteran
mega-veteran

Post by Drawing »

I prefear the forum to continue. It's better organized and full of infos. Losing it would be like the fall of Atlantis.
Altras
ultra-n00b

Post by Altras »

I just joined today but all I want to say is we must protect forums like this at all cost. Discord servers can be banned, hacked and deleted. The amounts of knowledge kept here is immeasurable in value. I'll happily support the existence of this place.
maika
ultra-n00b

Post by maika »

If there's a patreon subscription for donations throw me a link it would keep a steady flow of income. This site is a collective of very ambitious and intelligent people and is top tier for sure. All things do come to an end eventually but just know everybody here appreciates what you've done. Not only have you gathered great programmers and students but definitely taught many men how to fish. In turn I think it's only fair that we all show our gratitude.

Correction: Mostly ambitious and intelligent. [and the cesspool of ungrateful]< (They're probably too young to understand.)
asterite
ultra-n00b

Post by asterite »

I've only joined recently, but I understand if the time investment of managing this site is too much.
If it does ultimately shut down, I please, PLEASE ask of you to give some leeway beforehand to see if it's possible to have this site archived in some way, whether that be on the Wayback Machine or even the folks on the Data Hoarder subreddit, as it seems someone on there already started to back up what they can already.

There's a lot of content/tools that's very hard to find outside here from older games from what I understand, seeing as my favorite game, Detroit: Become Human, has the only explanation and tools on how to decrypt and rip audio from the game hosted here as far as I know. That game's only about 5 years old as well, so I imagine there's a lot more niche stuff that's also only found on here too.

Discord doesn't seem like a very reliable backup though, especially considering the paid file upload limit, how much more difficult it is to search older posts, and the comparative ease of it getting banned by a malicious 3rd party. It is more community run though so I see the appeal from the owner's point of view.

TLDR: I understand if the site can't feasibly continue, but please make sure all of the years of content found only here doesn't get lost to the shutdown, if it happens.
[bruce]