Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool

Post questions about game models here, or help out others!
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Re: Star Ocean: The Divine Force Tool

Post by akderebur »

Mihna wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:17 am I can edit them, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem with the extraction tool.
I see. It is very unlikely that the textures are exported incorrectly in terms of color channels. If it looks like complete nonsense then it is probably a texture type I haven't encountered and is wrongly exported. However, if the texture looks somewhat ok then it is most likely correct and that is how the texture is actually used in-game.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

Example: Theo's hair diffuse is red and extracted normally. This issue is ONLY happening with blonde/light brown and blue hair diffuse textures.

Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

akderebur wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:35 am I see. It is very unlikely that the textures are exported incorrectly in terms of color channels. If it looks like complete nonsense then it is probably a texture type I haven't encountered and is wrongly exported. However, if the texture looks somewhat ok then it is most likely correct and that is how the texture is actually used in-game.
That's so weird... I've tried messing around with channels and inverting, but so far I haven't been able to figure out how to get it correct. If this is how they show up in game, I feel like there SHOULD be a solution. I'll keep poking at them.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

Yeah I'm COMPLETELY lost. I was going to try looking at the files in RawTex, but I can't do that since there's no tool to decompress the files and I can't figure that out on my own, so I'll just photoshop the ones that come out wrong.

I've had another issue pop up, this time with one of Malkya's UVs:

Is this a glitch with the extraction tool? The rest of her UVs are fine (and I haven't run into this issue on any other models so far), it's just the UVs that go with this material. The Lightmap UV is identical to the Diffuse UV, so that's not the problem.
GDL
veteran

Post by GDL »

That model seems to have a separate file with uv modifications, usually they do that if the uv is animated for some sort of special effect or something similar.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

GDL wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm That model seems to have a separate file with uv modifications, usually they do that if the uv is animated for some sort of special effect or something similar.
Ohh interesting, I hadn’t seen that before but that makes a lot of sense—this is where the sparkly parts on her body are.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

GDL wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm That model seems to have a separate file with uv modifications, usually they do that if the uv is animated for some sort of special effect or something similar.
Do you know which file it's stored in? I've been doing some hunting, but haven't found it yet.
akderebur
double-veteran
double-veteran

Post by akderebur »

GDL wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:01 pm That model seems to have a separate file with uv modifications
I will try to look at them when I have the time. Probably over the next week.
Mihna wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:10 pm If this is how they show up in game, I feel like there SHOULD be a solution.
The texture Is used in a shader which also has other color inputs for stuff like base color, highlights, etc. That is why it ends up looking correct inside the game. So there is no way to get the correct output unless the shader is reverse-engineered too.
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

akderebur wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 pm I will try to look at them when I have the time. Probably over the next week.
Thank you! I appreciate all your hard work on this.
akderebur wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 pm The texture Is used in a shader which also has other color inputs for stuff like base color, highlights, etc. That is why it ends up looking correct inside the game. So there is no way to get the correct output unless the shader is reverse-engineered too.
That makes sense. It's just bizarre that they did this for only yellow and blue hair but not the rest. Maybe it had something to do with lighting... who knows. Photoshopping is good enough for me.
blacknight411
veteran

Post by blacknight411 »

Where is the npc and character at in the chunk files. what number to look from.
Last edited by blacknight411 on Sat May 13, 2023 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
blacknight411
veteran

Post by blacknight411 »

uh hello
GDL
veteran

Post by GDL »

blacknight411 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:09 pm Where is the npc and character at in the chunk files. what number to look from.
I've found most in chunk 0 and 1,the rest seem to be buildings and stuff
4fantas
ultra-n00b

Post by 4fantas »

What is the process for unpacking textures separately from .asf files? (.aif)
I tried following process similar to what described from getting SOA textures but that didn't work
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

akderebur wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 pm I will try to look at them when I have the time. Probably over the next week.
Just checking to see if you were ever able to find a fix for this?
Mihna
beginner

Post by Mihna »

I did FINALLY figure out what was going on with the color-swapped textures: some of them have the red and blue channels swapped. Swapping them back fixed the issue.