Important information: this site is currently scheduled to go offline indefinitely by end of the year.

Diablo IV (.tex) textures

Get your graphics formats figures out here! Got details for others? Post here!
alexchaos
ultra-n00b

Re: Diablo IV (.tex) textures

Post by alexchaos »

BoyC wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:59 pm
nic77 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:24 pm Has anyone been able to convert them to .dds? Im tryting to do it with the beta files but as the previous user said even after using many tools I haven't been able to
The raw texture data seems to be in bog standard DXGI_FORMAT_BC3_UNORM_SRGB: https://imgur.com/a/m0YLwHg
What exactly are the steps your took? I've been trying a few different things with that format and can't seem to get any result.Thanks!
strpetrichor
ultra-n00b

Post by strpetrichor »

The .tex files are indeed BC3_Unorm_SRGB

https://imgur.com/a/uYWwDXk

The resolution of the images can be a bit of a pain to find, some of them are massive.
Last edited by strpetrichor on Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoyC
beginner

Post by BoyC »

Yeah I've been looking at the metadata and on the particular image i've been looking at (the gems texture) what seems to be the width in the metadata (520) doesn't match up with the width at which the image lines up properly (576) - however the height does line up properly. No idea why, I haven't seen such a mismatch before.
alexchaos
ultra-n00b

Post by alexchaos »

BoyC wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:01 am Yeah I've been looking at the metadata and on the particular image i've been looking at (the gems texture) what seems to be the width in the metadata (520) doesn't match up with the width at which the image lines up properly (576) - however the height does line up properly. No idea why, I haven't seen such a mismatch before.
Same thing here, some width are good but most seems to not line up.
Ivenend
beginner

Post by Ivenend »

strpetrichor wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 am The .tex files are indeed BC3_Unorm_SRGB

The resolution of the images can be a bit of a pain to find, some of them are massive.
Just curious, do you have more d4 weapon icon images?

Also what offset in Rawtex do you use?
strpetrichor
ultra-n00b

Post by strpetrichor »

Ivenend wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:28 pm
strpetrichor wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:46 am The .tex files are indeed BC3_Unorm_SRGB

i'm not using rawtex for this, i'm using a python script to pull the resolution from the meta file and then convert the .tex file in the payload folder with a matching name to a png with that resolution
i can try and grab some more of the armor/weapon icons in a bit - i posted some of my findings on the diablo subreddit, i'll probably do a deeper dive once the beta ends.
IstiGI
ultra-n00b

Post by IstiGI »

strpetrichor wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 pm i'm not using rawtex for this, i'm using a python script to pull the resolution from the meta file
Any chance that you can share it with us? :oops:
whfill
ultra-n00b

Post by whfill »

strpetrichor wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:12 pm
Ivenend wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:28 pm

i'm not using rawtex for this, i'm using a python script to pull the resolution from the meta file and then convert the .tex file in the payload folder with a matching name to a png with that resolution
i can try and grab some more of the armor/weapon icons in a bit - i posted some of my findings on the diablo subreddit, i'll probably do a deeper dive once the beta ends.
Could you please share the script, or host it on github, thank you so much.
lla
ultra-n00b

Diablo 4 tex files

Post by lla »

Hey,

Has anyone been able to open/convert D4 tex-files to dds or png?
Can anyone help or walk me through cause I have not been successful so far.
I would much appriciate it!
Many thanks in advance!
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

coredevel at zenhax created a tool that works well. Unfortunately zenhax appears to be broken so I have not been able to ask him if it's ok to distribute the tool. Does anyone know if he is active here?
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

I have been unable to reach coredevel and zenhax appears to have shut down. As such, in order that it not be lost, <link removed by moderator - apparently this program was a virus (as reported by one of the users)> is the tool that can convert Diablo 4 Textures. Apologies to coredevel; if you would like me to remove the link I will do so immediately.

To use the tool, make sure that your meta and payload texture folders are arranged the same as they are in the game archives, including a meta and payload folder with the associated files. Then, select the input texture directory that contains the meta files, and an output directory. Then, hit "Go".

If you did it right, the textures will be converted to .pngs. I could only do a few hundred at a time, not sure why. Eventually I was able to convert all of them.

Some of the textures have a strange alpha channel. Not sure what should be there, but in most cases I just deleted it and all of necessary texture data was there.

Cheers
MisterT
ultra-n00b

Post by MisterT »

I am not managing to get the tool to work.
If anyone could help me out, that would be awesome! Could really use the help.

Anyone who got it to work and is willing to help, feel free to PM me! :D
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

MisterT wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:20 am I am not managing to get the tool to work.
If anyone could help me out, that would be awesome! Could really use the help.

Anyone who got it to work and is willing to help, feel free to PM me! :D
Here are some better instructions:

You need to extract the meta and payload textures that you want into a meta and payload folder on your system using CASC Explorer.

For example:

I have extracted meta files to:

"C:\DIABLO4EX\base\meta\Texture"

and the payload files to:

"C:\DIABLO4EX\base\payload\Texture"

Then run the tool and select "C:\DIABLO4EX\base\meta\Texture" as your Input Texture Directory. Make sure you choose the meta directory, not payload! Now choose any folder you want as your Output Texture Directory. Then hit "Go".

This is will create a 'png' for any 'meta' tex file that has a corresponding 'payload' tex file. Some of them cause the tool to crash, although it still converts them. You will need to remove the offending texture from the meta folder and try again after its converted.

Hope that helps,

Cheers
zardalu
veteran

Post by zardalu »

zardalu wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:01 am <link removed by moderator - apparently this program was a virus (as reported by one of the users)>
Edit - confirmed to be false positive. Check new version here. Thanks roswell
Last edited by zardalu on Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
roswell
advanced

Post by roswell »

No, it's not a virus. And if someone reports it as one, then prove it. Be specific, not generic. VirusTotal always returns a small number of bogus hits, it's how these companies make money. E.g. If program not signed, then give a false warning.

This seems to explain it. Some non-commerical AV engines are rigged with bogus settings:
"May differ from commercial off-the-shelf product. The company decides the particular settings with which the engine should run in VirusTotal."

Some AVs may just rely on a database of hashes, so if hash not found, then give a false warning.
Last edited by roswell on Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.